Creative Tree stump grinding in a hard to reach spot

Got the quote from the guy who does stump grinding.  Was double what he said over the phone.  Why?  Because the spot is brutal to get to.  It's the triangle on the map below.  I don't feel like blowing 5k on one plot.  

Anyone have any ideas/experience with stump removal in hard to reach places?  I was toying with the idea of renting a grinder, and using the quad winch to get it up the 2 very steep grades to the spot, then putting in a couple days myself.  Any advice appreciated on what kind of grinder/where to rent?

Sometime when it's good and wet I'll make a big brush pile or 3 and burn the tops/various detritus.  Spot itself is outstanding.

PXL_20220910_200326795.jpg

markup_576.png

IMG_20220908_200239.jpg

Wowsers on that topo....

I know this might sound crazy but can you just work around them? Most of the chemical option I don't think I'd want to do for a food plot area. 

You probably could still work dirt carefully and let nature take its course. Maybe even avoid churning dirt all together with proper strategy. I mean, given that aerial, nearly anything you plant would be a draw of some sort. Rye, brassicas, clover, whatever. All of that stuff doesn't really require working the dirt technically.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phade said:

Wowsers on that topo....

I know this might sound crazy but can you just work around them? Most of the chemical option I don't think I'd want to do for a food plot area. 

You probably could still work dirt carefully and let nature take its course. Maybe even avoid churning dirt all together with proper strategy. I mean, given that aerial, nearly anything you plant would be a draw of some sort. Rye, brassicas, clover, whatever. All of that stuff doesn't really require working the dirt technically.

That's plan B.  I'm not sure I can even get the plot master down there without rolling the quad.  Even taking the "gentle" way down.  I "think" I can, if I get a real aggressive set of tires for my quad, get it back out.  

If it that steep where getting a ATV out is going to be hairy, the last piece of equipment I'd try to get in there is a mini excavator. I've got many hours behind the controls of minis. Controlled sliding down a hill and pulling yourself back up is not recommended for someone that doesn't have experience. 

• Like 2

If this plot is that remote and unsafe to get equipment too, then your best bet it to just cut them as low as possible and carry on. If you'll never have a machine in here you have no worry to puncture a tire, or trip/tip.. then cut them as flush and as low as possible to the ground... Then drill holes deep as theyll go, into the stumps with a big drill bit.

Sounds to me this plot is going to be all hand and backpack tool labor.. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

If this plot is that remote and unsafe to get equipment too, then your best bet it to just cut them as low as possible and carry on. If you'll never have a machine in here you have no worry to puncture a tire, or trip/tip.. then cut them as flush and as low as possible to the ground... Then drill holes deep as theyll go, into the stumps with a big drill bit.

Sounds to me this plot is going to be all hand and backpack tool labor.. 

Safest and cheapest suggestion IMHO

I have done this with a chainsaw and sacrificed a few chains but in about 5 yrs you wont even remember where the stumps were. They will be there but as long as you are not tilling or plowing you will be fine.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

I have done this with a chainsaw and sacrificed a few chains but in about 5 yrs you wont even remember where the stumps were. They will be there but as long as you are not tilling or plowing you will be fine.

Exactly, And a good choice in seed blends each planting season, a rotation using cheap no till methods and some rainfall you'll never have to worry about getting a machine in there..  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

so I did a plot like this this year. Generally speaking it's still rough discing the top layer and your equipment will not like you for it. Luckily for me, my stumps were in rows from the orchard so I would just mark and sort of avoid them. This would be hard to navigate if discing with anything other than hand tools. 

1 minute ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

There's one there right now, it will just cost me 7k to get it done that way.  If I can get it done halfway decent with a rental + some elbo grease.  

Should be able to rent a dozer for a lot cheaper than that.   Even if you can’t run one bet you can find and offer them 30/hr to run it.  Shouldn’t take more that a day or 2 with a decent dozer operator.   Good luck with the project.

Dozer rental localy is 1500 for 40 hours.plus 100+ for delivery depending on miles   Id rent one and do it yourself. If its that hard to get to you can put an access road in as well and make sure you put good water bars in.

Not hard to operate joystick control blade and speed.. not like the old lever and pedal models.

Dug several ponds with rental. Amd plan on another next year if not this fall( depending on if we strike or not) you may even  get better deal for 3 day rental.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Should be able to rent a dozer for a lot cheaper than that.   Even if you can’t run one bet you can find and offer them 30/hr to run it.  Shouldn’t take more that a day or 2 with a decent dozer operator.   Good luck with the project.

Its usually $200-250/hr for dozer plus operator now.

• Thanks 1