Here's a fight starter

Suilleabhain

Im against mandatory. If you choose to voluntarily do it then awesome. I pay for my license and tags just like other hunters. I dont tell people what to shoot. And i would like the same respect. Me and 3 other guys hunt a parcel of land and we are overjoyed when someone shoots a doe or a spike or a 3 point. With that said we have all seen a button buck the size of a dog running around. Most of us have had him at anywhere from 5 to 15 yards broadside. We have said dont shoot him. Not because he may grow into a huge buck, but because it almost seems too easy.

Not sure about your 1 1/2 year old bucks, but here they are smart. For us its about the hunt and the meat. We always welcome the big buck but we dont focus solely on him.

• Like 1

Yep, you actually had to work to locate their areas. Then you had to actually spend time in the woods trying to figure out their habits. And then when the rubber met the road you had to be able to either outsmart them or just be plain lucky.

All ARs do is open big racks up to everyone who doesn't want to put the time and effort into the actual hunt.

Am i reading this right? Since i dont care about racks or ARs...means i dont put time or effort into my hunting?

Edited by TeeBugg
  • Like 1

i personally would not be bothered if AR's were put into place in all WMU's. i personally have a bar higher then AR's anyway but thats just me. 

i mean really, how many people would really be affected so bad by this? so you shoot a deer with 3 points on one side.. lay off the spikes and fork horns, is it really that bad?? 

i mean give it one season or 2 and that WMU will be seeing more legal deer for sure and bigger ones then the guys who shoot any small buck they see for the "meat". i understand some guys want to use their tags how they see fit, i get it. but i mean really, its not the end or the world for AR's.

• Like 2

is nearly non in the

I don't think a Ar would work around here who would enforce it

down here bye me I've never seen dec unless they we're

called i called them once on trespassers and it took them over a hour to

show up...i hunt 360 acres of property and only have seen

a couple nice 8 points... there should be a lot ...there's a lot of

guys here shooting deer with guns already cause thers no dec

presence.....i don't care what Ar is in place unless your

neighboring propertys believe in qdma thenits a loss anyway

I've let smaller bucks walk and heard them bein shot at 15 minutes later

....ill let smaller bucks walk but if i don't get a deer bye mid gun season

then anything is on the hit list...and I've killed 4 pointers on my property that

wer aged at 6 ..so don't believe the hype about older deer have bigger antlers

If you killed 6 year old bucks that were 4 Points then you have killed some of the rarest bucks in the world (unless its a 4 point with a 16-20 inch spread) because in the whitetail world that happens so infrequently that it is nearly non-existent. Unless you live in a place that is entirely made of rock with no vegetation and the deer have nothing nutritious to eat... and even then they would most likely die of malnutrition before they reached 6... it is true that a bucks antlers can start to decline when they get older, but usually not until they are much older than six... and they never revert back to a small 4 point ... normally they lose mass and maybe a g-3 or g-4 point... but their rack will still not be mistaken for a yearling buck... even a slightly malnourished buck will still have a better than average rack at 6 unless he's had an injury that causes his rack to dwarf... 99.999 % of older bucks do have bigger racks period.

• Like 2

I just like going into the woods knowing that there are those once or maybe twice in a lifetime 8 and 9 point bucks out there. Even though they are there doesn't mean I will get one but I just like the idea that the possiblilty is there. Ten years ago before we had AR you would be lucky to even see a 6 pointer and hunters were bagging every spike, 4 or 6 they could shoot. If your a meat hunter what is wrong with just baggin one of the many does that are out in the woods. Hey for me its all about making the game alittle more interesting and sitting a lifetime in the woods knowing you are going to be lucky to see only 4 point and spikers, AAHhhh.

If you're a meat hunter what's wrond with just bagging a doe? Because not everyone can get a doe permit in their area. Like me

Easy solution when buying a license u have to choose to follow the ar rule or u don't see how many of the antler restriction guys put their money where their mouth is. If u choose to take ar u can't shoot a spike if u opt out spikes are fair game lol not trying to start something I'm just against ars believe it should be a hunters choice.

• Like 2

Easy solution when buying a license u have to choose to follow the ar rule or u don't see how many of the antler restriction guys put their money where their mouth is. If u choose to take ar u can't shoot a spike if u opt out spikes are fair game lol not trying to start something I'm just against ars believe it should be a hunters choice.

I like the way you think!

I guess it depends on where you hunt cause a lot

of guys here like shooting 8 point or better and I've never

seen that done here in 4b where i hunt. if you see

a 6 pointer that's a big deer...unless you have permission

on land that is eathier patrolled. or farmed. each county

is differant when it comes to genetics . if the area you hunt

has bad genetics then you ain't gonna see big bucks

I guess it depends on where you hunt cause a lot

of guys here like shooting 8 point or better and I've never

seen that done here in 4b where i hunt. if you see

a 6 pointer that's a big deer...unless you have permission

on land that is eathier patrolled. or farmed. each county

is differant when it comes to genetics . if the area you hunt

has bad genetics then you ain't gonna see big bucks

It is age not genetics that's the issue.

I hunt a lot in PA and the AR has improved the buck population IMO. Jr. hunters (12-16) may harvest any buck as long as it has a 3" spike but once you graduate from the Jr. ranks the buck must be 3 or 4 pt minimum per side. I practice QDM but think any deer with a bow is a trophy. IMO the biggest problem in NY is not AR but the practice of killing more than one per season. They will grow bigger if there are more to grow. 

• Like 1

How can a deer get older if dec can't stop poachers

and trespassers ...its a point that can get argued for ever

but if a kid wants to go out and shoot a spike as his first

deer should that be wrong no i don't think it should

not everybody has monster deer running around..like i stated

before. a Ar might work in certain countys but not around here

Here is the email:

The NYS Department of Environmental Conservation has issued the following press release:

Statewide Deer Hunter Survey Underway Survey Will Assess Hunters' Opinions on Deer Harvest Opportunities

Under Governor Cuomo's NY Open for Hunting and Fishing, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Joe Martens today announced that a statewide deer hunter survey is underway in an effort to provide improved deer hunting experiences across the state. All who receive the survey are encouraged to take the time to complete and return it as soon as possible. The survey is being conducted for DEC by the Human Dimensions Research Unit at Cornell University.

"I encourage hunters and other deer management stakeholders to support our efforts to address yearling buck harvest strategies through a systematic and balanced process," Commissioner Martens said. "A high response rate to the survey will help ensure that the study findings are representative of all deer hunters across New York State."

During the development of the 2012-2016 deer management plan for New York, some hunters expressed strong interest in modifying hunting rules/regulations to allow more bucks to live to older ages and develop heavier bodies with larger antlers. As a result of that input, one of the objectives in DEC's current deer management plan is to "Encourage various strategies to reduce harvest of young (1.5 year old) bucks in accordance with hunter desires."

In addition to hunters voluntarily deciding not to shoot young bucks, managers could enact a variety of rules/regulations to reduce harvest of young bucks, all of which involve tradeoffs for hunters. For example, depending on the action taken to reduce harvest of young bucks, hunters may have to give up some freedom to shoot a buck of any age or size, or give up some opportunity to hunt bucks. DEC needs current information on hunters' views to understand how different buck harvest strategies may affect hunter satisfactions. Specifically, DEC needs to understand hunter's views on the importance of reducing harvest of young bucks relative to the associated loss of choice or loss of opportunity. This fall, DEC is sponsoring a statewide survey of hunters to provide that information.

In mid-October, Cornell University staff will mail questionnaires to a statewide random sample of 7,000 big game license holders with an invitation to participate in the survey. By gathering information on the relative importance hunters place on different types of deer hunting and harvest opportunities, the survey will help wildlife managers identify which buck management strategy best balances hunter opinions in various regions of the state.

DEC encourages all hunters who receive a questionnaire to complete and return it promptly. DEC requests to hear from every hunter in the sample, regardless of whether they went afield or took a deer last year. To maintain scientific integrity and preserve the random sampling survey design, DEC will not accept requests to participate in the survey.

Results of the survey will be used during 2014 to help evaluate a variety of buck harvest strategies through a "structured decision-making process". The basic elements of this approach were discussed in the 2012-13 and 2013-14 Hunting and Trapping guides, and are discussed further at Buck Harvest Management on the DEC website. DEC staff will consider survey results along with deer population management needs across various regions of the state as a basis for possible regulation changes for fall 2015.