Delaware County Bucks

Dennis119

I've hunted in Delaware County for (Delhi, Bloomville area's) for about 8 years. It seems the action in these mountains don't produce much big bucks (or decent size). Anyone else hunt in this area with some feedback? 

I'm sure my hunting tactics aren't 100% great, which might have something to do with it, but looking for some feedback.

Thanx.

• Like 1

Thanks. It's actually not me pictured, but my friend who shot that big boy last year on my property 300 yds from my stand. Great hunt and memory...I pulled out of my stand To help him track. Many many high fives. We had trail cam pics of him for 2 weeks before opening day and including the night before he was taken. They are out there.

I also missed a bigger one Few years ago chasing a doe. Gun was legit shooting 13" high, not sure how it happened but it did. Sucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are some some with good racks on them,they didn't get that way by comming out into the fields during the day unless the are pushed.You have to do some hikeing up in the hills to find them. 

^^Exactly^^

With the warm October temps and the fabled "October lull" just ending, it doesn't surprise me that you haven't spotted the big boys yet. With the ladies coming into estrous, you can bet the bucks will be cruising the doe bedding areas. Don't lose hope. If you keep tabs on the does, the bucks will be along sooner or later.

There are some whoppers in them hills. I suggest picking a spot with good sign and studying/scouting it. With the rut about to kick in, you should be focusing on the does. The bucks will soon be in tow!

Im  positive the best way to get a trophy buck  is to attract  the does  I think of it as  ladies nite  bucks are like any other thing with a weenie  get the does  and the boys will show  up  and you can take that to the  bank! .As for not seeing any bucks  I feel that bucks and does are two speices  two  totally different animals completly!!  It may sound dumb  BUT some how a good   shooter buck  seems to know that if he is seen any time any where he is  DEAD look at all the fawns born every spring  some one s gettin some  this just the way Ive got it figured  I may be wrong  BUT ive had this  proven since 1995  consistantly

here are some others from my property, ... you really need to put some cameras out, you never know what you will see... We believe the deer in the middle, below, is the same buck my buddy shot that i posted earlier in this thread...what do you think? brow tines is what sold me

post-3728-0-61574200-1383145851_thumb.pn

post-3728-0-23551800-1383145852_thumb.pn

post-3728-0-84209200-1383145852_thumb.pn

It's definately a very good possibility it's the same deer. Same structure of rack - just an older deer with good mass now - great pics. I have a camera set out now, i'll be checking it to see what's around. I see deer often around with trails etc so I know they are around. It's like they know when deer season opens though, Lol.

BTW - you need a hunting buddy? Lol. Great pics all around

• 5 years later...
There are some whoppers in them hills. I suggest picking a spot with good sign and studying/scouting it. With the rut about to kick in, you should be focusing on the does. The bucks will soon be in tow!

5585abb6c251259fedd4c55255984973.jpg

84ffc1d1c9f6affba47242da99b0465b.jpg

Bloomville is very tough but rewarding hunting. 18 years hunting the same 30 acres and took mostly small bucks until this guy lands in front 25 yards broadside at first light opening day.

It’s a lot of farmland and cover in every direction. They really go wherever they want. Just have to hunt hard and get lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Mature deer use different trails and travel differently .I've seen some big ones in Delhi while turkey hunting.  Never deer hunted there though have my own place for that. But when they had 2nd fall turkey tag in that area I was there every year