Anyone having any luck hunting the Windy Days ?

fasteddie

I really don't mind a little bit of a breeze, but when the trees are bending over and huge limbs are busting off, The deer aren't the only ones that get nervous. I have watched deer that for some reason have gotten up on their feet in a high wind, and they certainly look like the perfect picture of paranoia. There just is nothing that gets by them. But mainly I have noticed that high winds suppress movement. That's not helping out the cause any, and frankly I'm getting pretty darn upset watching my season going down the toilet with day after day of gale force winds.

Doc

I did a day-run bowhunting in an old favorite WMA spot Thursday morning. Was ok, some serious surfing going on but it didn't get obnoxious untill close to noon. Saw a pair of deer out 90 or so yards, tried a little calling but I doubt they heard me. Scratched the afternnon as even crappier wind & weather set in.

I have not had any luck with the wind. Same here I also see deer moving just before dark. I had deer down wind of me 2 days in a row. I must say they sure do have a great sence of smell.  I almost had a turkey and a rabbit today.  I will be spending late tomorrow morning moving a stand where I have been seeing deer moving from bedding to food sorce. I hoping this will get me in the game.

I start wondering about how much arrow drift I might get with the wind blowing . I also make sure there aren't any trees that might come down near me .

I see deer moving just as it is getting dark even when it is windy .

What I have noticed is that the wind almost always seems to die back down just before dark. Unfortunately that is so close to the end of shooting hours that it never turns out to do any good.

As far as arrow drift in heavy winds, I guess I never thought much about that, but I know from some practice sessions in high winds that it can be a significant factor in point of impact. That probably should be a consideration especially when taking longer shots.

I am almost to the point where I think most of you have already come to. That is that it may be a better use of my time to find something else to do when the tree-bending winds are flying out there.  :D

Doc

No luck at all in the wind!!!  First and last light is when I have seen deer.  A couple of days were not windy and I did see deer about a hour and a half after first light and about a hour and a half before last light.  Today was only windy from about noon till 5pm ish.  I saw One buck maybe two (it was far away thought i saw horns) and 3 doe this morning.  This evening I saw another buck. 

I havent seen many deer in the wind.  My buddy shot a spike sat morn. before the wind really started blowin.  I didnt even venture out on sun.  THe wind seems to blow harder from friday to monday and not so much tues. - thur when Im at work.  I need that to switch around soon.