Would you

jesse.james

Sorry man but your dad sounds like the exact type of guy that we would be tearing to shreds on here. Not to mention it's super selfish to hunt your stand because he seen a good buck their, what kind of father does that?? He puts deer and himself before you. If I were you I'd ream his ass out real good, I love my father but I'm not afraid to tell him exactly what the deal is when something bothers me. Did I mention your dads a poacher? Best of luck man, sorry to seem harsh but that is not cool at all.

I agree with ^

• Like 1

I'm not going to lie, this kind of pisses me off. No, it really pisses me off. I have (or anyone) to take the legal route sitting on the sideline for the rest of the bow season, then he should, too. He's moaning about one nice buck and I get to stare at state and world class bucks (legit) on the ground I hunt...if I can be legal eagle, he should, too.

Putting a deer before his son, which he IS doing, is nothing short of the fodder that makes people lose faith in others.

Whether you call him out, tell mom, narc him out, or punch him in the nose for shooting a deer out of your stand after he's shot one already...do something. Doing nothing is merely encouraging such behaviors.

Edited by phade

Suppose it depends on the kind of relationship you have with ...not only him but the rest of the family.... if that were my Dad...he'd been in court the next week...but in others cases...put the cards on the table and make it clear it's his ONLY pass...and that it's your set and you will be hunting it not him..period...Then again...who owns the land??

Jesse, We can all including myself say what we would do.  None of us really know your situation.  Al I can say is I hope you do not treat your children as he has treated you. By posting this it shows how much it bothers you. I sincerely think you will not follow in the same foot steps.  You are not responsible for your father's actions.  However you are not obligated to cover them up either.  In the end you will do what you see as right.  Happy hunting

• Like 3

My dad doesn't hunt but if I was in your situation I'd be upset too. I wouldn't call DEC. But if was young (say 45 or so) and has many years of hunting left, and says "I am going to sit in your stand"  I'd give him a healthy ration... ESPECIALLY if he already tagged out. Dad or not there are some things you just don't do. It usually involves hunting, women and the last beer. This doesn't mean I don't respect my elders, because I do, but there is a time when you gotta be a man and stand your ground. My approach would be tactful and calm at first then the healthy ration if he raises the bar. Tags filled he shouldn't deer hunting at all, especially in your stand.

I wouldn't turn him in but I would definitely call B.S. on him. He might just see it as a friendly father & son competition, but thats not what it is at all. He is just being selfish. Choose your words wisely and let him know what YOU want to happen, but don't let it get to the point where it scars your relationship. In the end its not worth it. I remember my brother in law and father in law getting in a screaming match over a hunting spot. ( It was totally my FIL's fault). It got to the point where I had to separate them. That was about 15 yrs. ago and they have hardly spoken to each other since then.  It's not worth letting it get to the point that you regret it.   Good luck.

Just post his back tag number and we'll take care of the rest...you can get back to hunting. Not sure I would turn in my father, then again I don't think my father would have puy me in that position.

Like it or not the rules are there and apply to everyone. Breaking the rules only cause the rule makers to devise new rules that end up screwing the fine folks who follow them. Obviously the rule breaks don't care.

Just post his back tag number and we'll take care of the rest...you can get back to hunting. Not sure I would turn in my father, then again I don't think my father would have puy me in that position.

Like it or not the rules are there and apply to everyone. Breaking the rules only cause the rule makers to devise new rules that end up screwing the fine folks who follow them. Obviously the rule breaks don't care.

that was what I was going to say. He's not my dad, I'll turn him in for you.

Here’s my take on your situation, as the saying goes, blood is thicker then water, and friends come and go but, family will always be there. Without FAMILY we have nothing.

It’s safe to assume that he’s the same man that has taught you to hunt, fish and how to be a man. Seems like he’s done a good job with that. Otherwise you wouldn’t be here with your “moral dilemma”. I know for myself that my father had his own faults and beliefs, many of these which I don’t agree with, but it doesn’t matter because no matter what they are, it always comes down to the fact he’s just my “DAD” good bad or indifferent, still dad.

I know as a parent myself and anyone on here that’s a parent would do anything to protect their children up too and including dying for their kids. Which is the same way that your father feels about you.

So, I say yeah he gets a pass. You may not like it, you can say something to him about, or not, either way he’s still family, and most importantly he’s your “dad”.

No matter what people on here say, or what advice they offer you. Just remember. He’ll always just be dad.

I'm not going to lie, this kind of pisses me off. No, it really pisses me off. I have (or anyone) to take the legal route sitting on the sideline for the rest of the bow season, then he should, too. He's moaning about one nice buck and I get to stare at state and world class bucks (legit) on the ground I hunt...if I can be legal eagle, he should, too.

Putting a deer before his son, which he IS doing, is nothing short of the fodder that makes people lose faith in others.

Whether you call him out, tell mom, narc him out, or punch him in the nose for shooting a deer out of your stand after he's shot one already...do something. Doing nothing is merely encouraging such behaviors.

I use my wife's tag. Does this piss you off too?

I know as a parent myself and anyone on here that’s a parent would do anything to protect their children up too and including dying for their kids. Which is the same way that your father feels about you.

I sure hope his father feels that way.  Hell, he can't give up a stinking deer stand to his kid, I have a hard time picturing him giving up his life for him.

• Like 1

Does this make sense?

no. sounds like a father and son talk is in order though. End of the day, he's your dad. I'm against poaching just like others, but it's not like you're contemplating turning on him for cooking meth, murder etc.

I use my wife's tag. Does this piss you off too?