"NO HUNTING ON THIS PROPERTY"

Dutchess hunter

For the past 5 years I have been hunting this one property and I do appreciate that I have been able too even if I have not taken a deer with a bow yet...Every year I asked the property manager for permission and this year when I ran into him I  had asked,  just to find out he had retired and a new crew came in....well I  asked the new property manager who was very nice and down to earth and he explained that the owner a millionaire  from the city was talk into creating a hunt club my their New York city Lawyer...needless to say I have no place to hunt....I am surrounded by all these types of properties upscale horse farms and absolutely no hunting...I remembered when I was station in Germany how it cost a small fortune to hunt.(very rich) and it seems that eventually that will be like this here in the good ole USA especially here in NYS as more and more hunters are cramming into what state properties that are available to hunt.....maybe I am wrong but I like to know if other hunters are finding it more and more difficult to find property to hunt on especially in Dutchess County.

things are buttoning up here in Washington County. In the last 5 years especially. I know of one club that has bought and obtained leases on about a total of 3000 acres. The border is about 1/2 mile from my hunting land as the crow flies. There is a lot of country here but there is a lot o hunters. Dutchess has got to be getting real hard.

I lived and hunted Dutchess County from the 70's to 1999, we had about 8000 acres in Millbrook, and the hunting was fantastic. Slowly, however, we lost properties to high end hunt and sporting clay clubs. Now, living in the Adirondacks I have 8 miles of state forest right in my backyard, and the buck in my avitar was taken there.  Much harder hunting, but I don't have to worry about hunting permission.

• Like 1

people get me sometimes i don't get it when told there is no where to hunt in nys. must be some don't understand maps, our state has vast a amount  of lands that we can hunt and recreate on free of charge all year long with minimal restrictions. i have hunted state forests my entire hunting career granted there are lands i do not have permission to hunt along the way but to say there is no where to hunt is asinine.  

Edited by 16. ga hunter

..maybe I am wrong but I like to know if other hunters are finding it more and more difficult to find property to hunt on especially in Dutchess County.

Yep, sure am DH.  I've lived in DC for 40 years and it's gotten tighter every year.   I recently got shut out of a long time parcel as well.  You have two choices.  Take your chances on the local state properties or travel.  Sux but that's about the size of it around here.

• Like 1

I think guys get used to hunting private property, maybe with some farm fields nearby where there may be relatively high numbers of deer. They sit in relatively small woodlots and see deer a high percentage of the time.

Then when they lose the property, the idea of hunting big woods, possibly with other hunters, and usually fewer deer, is a tough adjustment.

I hunt both scenarios and each has its allure to me.

• Like 1

For the past 5 years I have been hunting this one property and I do appreciate that I have been able too even if I have not taken a deer with a bow yet...Every year I asked the property manager for permission and this year when I ran into him I  had asked,  just to find out he had retired and a new crew came in....well I  asked the new property manager who was very nice and down to earth and he explained that the owner a millionaire  from the city was talk into creating a hunt club my their New York city Lawyer...needless to say I have no place to hunt....I am surrounded by all these types of properties upscale horse farms and absolutely no hunting...I remembered when I was station in Germany how it cost a small fortune to hunt.(very rich) and it seems that eventually that will be like this here in the good ole USA especially here in NYS as more and more hunters are cramming into what state properties that are available to hunt.....maybe I am wrong but I like to know if other hunters are finding it more and more difficult to find property to hunt on especially in Dutchess County.

Same thing happened to me in Dutchess, but there are sopme good state lands off of rt 22.  only problem is you need to walk up heart attack mountain to get to a good spot, also NYC has lots of land...just watch out for the annual pumpkin parade

Same thing happened to me in Dutchess, but there are sopme good state lands off of rt 22.  only problem is you need to walk up heart attack mountain to get to a good spot, also NYC has lots of land...just watch out for the annual pumpkin parade

also regarding the state land in Dutchess, my brother just arrowed a nice bear yesterday on public land.  his kids all have gotten deer this year on the state land. 

SteveC, on 29 Oct 2013 - 9:46 PM, said:

Yep, sure am DH.  I've lived in DC for 40 years and it's gotten tighter every year.   I recently got shut out of a long time parcel as well.  You have two choices.  Take your chances on the local state properties or travel.  Sux but that's about the size of it around here.

About 25 years in Dutchess.

^^^ That sums it up for me too. 3 main properties I used to hunt are all leases now and each is about $6k a year for just deer season. They have no problem finding folks to drop the coin on it either.

Now I travel more and shoot a whole lot less.

Just the way it is now.

Been offered spots for up in Columbia and the numbers are headed the same way.

Welcome to the future.

Not neccesarily talking about here in NYS, but YES, I agree that hunting has become a rich mans sport.  I was looking into doing a whitetail hunt in KS, IA, IL area for the past 2 years.  The time you factor everything in, you are looking $7,000 to shoot a stinkin whitetail.   And that is for the most common sport species on the planet.  Try hunting trophy elk in UT, or Moose in AK or Caribou in Canada.  You could pay anywhere from $10,000 to $150,000 for a tag.  Utterly disgusting!!!

I've also wanted to purchase a nice piece of property (not neccesarily for just hunting, but that would be a bonus).  Now you are talking in the MILLIONS $$.  Its crazy.  Go to whitetailproperties.com and do a search.  it is almost laughable that farm land worth $1,000 an acre, if it holds good deer population, all of a sudden is worth $10,000 an acre.

Not neccesarily talking about here in NYS, but YES, I agree that hunting has become a rich mans sport.  I was looking into doing a whitetail hunt in KS, IA, IL area for the past 2 years.  The time you factor everything in, you are looking $7,000 to shoot a stinkin whitetail.   And that is for the most common sport species on the planet.  Try hunting trophy elk in UT, or Moose in AK or Caribou in Canada.  You could pay anywhere from $10,000 to $150,000 for a tag.  Utterly disgusting!!!

I've also wanted to purchase a nice piece of property (not neccesarily for just hunting, but that would be a bonus).  Now you are talking in the MILLIONS $$.  Its crazy.  Go to whitetailproperties.com and do a search.  it is almost laughable that farm land worth $1,000 an acre, if it holds good deer population, all of a sudden is worth $10,000 an acre.

Yea I hear you ...I have considered buying property in Albany county 125 acres when I retire for the purpose to hunt, fish and have a huge garden in my old age but then I may be denying some individual who probably had been hunting that property it is a vicious circle...When I was in Germany the cost to hunt is crazy....just like in Reforger exercises that I went on every tree you destroyed a tree the U.S. government paid for that tree and how many trees that tree may have produce God knows what would happen if you ran over a chicken lol.

people get me sometimes i don't get it when told there is no where to hunt in nys. must be some don't understand maps, our state has vast a amount  of lands that we can hunt and recreate on free of charge all year long with minimal restrictions. i have hunted state forests my entire hunting career granted there are lands i do not have permission to hunt along the way but to say there is no where to hunt is asinine.  

I probably should of not stated there is no place to hunt...grant it their are plenty of places to hunt in NYS...and I have gotten complacent with having a piece of property so close to where I live...I'll just have to suck it up and deal with it.