Does not Apply

BackWoods Hunter

• 3 weeks later...

I've got 170 acres of forest in 5H which offers a variety of topo features including ridges, bogs, pine stands, creeks, etc. It sits in the middle of just under 1000 acres on the southern edge just outside the Park. I've been lost for hours trying to make out some familiar landmark to get me back to a trail.

Last year, while scouting in a freshly fallen snow, I saw dozens of tracks in every corner, a bedding area, countless rubs, scrapes, trails, and spooked more doe than I can remember. I took a bear and doe the same morning. This year, only found 3 scrapes, few rubs, and 2 deer spotted all fall. Except for a couple small doe and a 4 pointer during summer, the cams have been empty, even over the food plot I planted this fall. Neighbors helped drive deer on 200 acres and through my 170. Nothing. Not even tracks on the paths or dirt road. Used drags, mock scrapes, bleats, grunts, you name it. Very discouraging sitting in a stand for 10 days without even new tracks coming by. These former hot spots from last year seem to be out like a teen fashion.

Most folks here also note very little activity this year. So I start thinking. Have many of the deer moved on to other tracts? Are they still here but laying low or otherwise changed their behavior this year? Have I just been unlucky? Have I exercised poor judgement in placement of my 3 stands and 1 blind? As I drive past all the farms and fields, it leaves me to wonder, what does my deep woods offer deer? Compared to the edges of fields and farms, probably very little. Irony is, my parents have a place out on the north fork of Long Island where I spotted 24 deer standing in an empty field. Thousands of deer and the town doesn't know what to do with them all. Yes, my friends, hunting deep forest is certainly different.

I've got 170 acres of forest in 5H which offers a variety of topo features including ridges, bogs, pine stands, creeks, etc. It sits in the middle of just under 1000 acres on the southern edge just outside the Park. I've been lost for hours trying to make out some familiar landmark to get me back to a trail.

Last year, while scouting in a freshly fallen snow, I saw dozens of tracks in every corner, a bedding area, countless rubs, scrapes, trails, and spooked more doe than I can remember. I took a bear and doe the same morning. This year, only found 3 scrapes, few rubs, and 2 deer spotted all fall. Except for a couple small doe and a 4 pointer during summer, the cams have been empty, even over the food plot I planted this fall. Neighbors helped drive deer on 200 acres and through my 170. Nothing. Not even tracks on the paths or dirt road. Used drags, mock scrapes, bleats, grunts, you name it. Very discouraging sitting in a stand for 10 days without even new tracks coming by. These former hot spots from last year seem to be out like a teen fashion.

Most folks here also note very little activity this year. So I start thinking. Have many of the deer moved on to other tracts? Are they still here but laying low or otherwise changed their behavior this year? Have I just been unlucky? Have I exercised poor judgement in placement of my 3 stands and 1 blind? As I drive past all the farms and fields, it leaves me to wonder, what does my deep woods offer deer? Compared to the edges of fields and farms, probably very little. Irony is, my parents have a place out on the north fork of Long Island where I spotted 24 deer standing in an empty field. Thousands of deer and the town doesn't know what to do with them all. Yes, my friends, hunting deep forest is certainly different.

If you don't mind, let me lend you a machete for your intellectual thicket. If I understand what you said correctly, you have stands and blinds in areas with very little activity. I was doing the same thing for quite some time and had no luck. This season, I decided to leave the stands in the garage and still hunt my property. This was by far the best thing I could've done to increase my chances at bagging a buck. I uncovered more sign than I ever could have dreamed of. I started still hunting those areas that had the heaviest sign and picking different places to sit. It wasn't long before I finally got a chance at an eight point.

Take this advice with a grain of salt because I have still yet to kill a buck in these big Woods. However, I am more confident now than I ever have been & amp seeing deer regularly. It never would've happened if I hung my stands on day one.

5g

Edited by BackWoods Hunter

If you don't mind, let me lend you a machete for your intellectual thicket. If I understand what you said correctly, you have stands and blinds in areas with very little activity. I was doing the same thing for quite some time and had no luck. This season, I decided to leave the stands in the garage and still hunt my property. This was by far the best thing I could've done to increase my chances at bagging a buck. I uncovered more sign than I ever could have dreamed of. I started still hunting those areas that had the heaviest sign and picking different places to sit. It wasn't long before I finally got a chance at an eight point.Take this advice with a grain of salt because I have still yet to kill a buck in these big Woods. However, I am more confident now than I ever have been & amp seeing deer regularly. It never would've happened if I hung my stands on day one.5g

Thanks for the advice, pep talk, and um, machete, lol. Funny thing is, the was plenty of track, scat, etc, couple of months back, which is why I selected these spots overlooking Creek, convergence of trails etc. Neighbors with success suggested whenever I walk, the crunching frozen ground, leaves, and pants rubbing against the thorn thickets scare deer way beyond the maximum 80yrd visibilty. I agree with your point, however, as last year's tags were filled when I "stumbled" onto doe groups in light rain. The only doe I saw this year, same thing. Likely I'll change to stand until cold, then a bit of still.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk