good begginer bow for under 500$

bigbuck14

Check out the classified section on archerytalk.com you can get last years top of the line bows for that amount of $$$ bows depreciate in value real fast literally 50% after a year, know what you want and what your draw length is and look on the AT forum

• Like 1

Completely agree with Danny. Look at the classifieds on archery talk. I will highly suggest you buy one with all the accessories you want. It will save you money in the long run and will already be assembled and tuned to the bow correctly, which takes lots of time in the off season to do correctly. It will change when you shoot it, but if your draw is the same, you should only have to adjust the sights. I personally bought a nice drop away and saved roughly 30% buying used from the archery talk classifieds. Also check craigslist, I see people all the time with complete archery sets including shooting gear and cases.

With whatever route you go, make sure you buy the proper draw length because changing cams and the cables is expensive and cuts your savings of going used. On a side note, if you don't know your draw length get someone who knows how to measure correctly. And I would always advise to go shorter compared to longer because many people (me included) get too long of a draw length and end up down the road paying to shorten it an inch.

Have you shot any bows to know which ones you like? Have you ever shot a bow before? Since this will be your first bow purchase I would recommend going to a pro shop and having someone help you out. Some pro shops have decent used bows for sale. Believe it or not, you can actually get a pretty decent new bow for around $500. Not sure where you live, but there is probably a pro shop nearby.

Purchasing a bow is NOT like purchasing a gun.  If you have never purchased a bow before, I believe you are ill advised to buy one from the classifieds unless you have someone with a lot of experience to guide you.  I agree with Lord of War.  Go to an archery shop and shoot a bunch of different bows.  If nothing else, it will give you an idea of what different bows feel like, find out what your draw length is and what poundage you are comfortable with.  Archery shops usually have a number of used bows that you can buy and they usually come all set up with sight, rest, etc.  Let them know what your budget is and if you don't find anything you like at one shop, go to another but don't buy online without expert advice.

• Like 2

When it comes to bows don't go by price. I blind baled acoupe bows years back when solo cam was the big thing I went double cam PSE then. My son was in your spot this summer I took him around to try bows out, The Mission line is excellent for anyone, its 14lbs-70lbs adjustable, the draw length is adjustable a bow he will grow with & not out grow. If he wanted to he could use this bow a very long time if commercial's don't get him thinking he needs the next best thing. The problem with buying used is if you can not see or feel bow and buy your stuck with it. One bow that comes to mined as a very good bow for you would be the PSE Stinger line. Matthews have some really nice bows but come up with more cash than $500. Go look at the Matthews Mission line you will not be disappointed and its in you ball park price wise.

Edited by Huntscreek

I think you can get the Bowtech Assassin with the RAK package for around 600 brand new and the Hoyt Charger with their package completely set up for around $700.  I know that is a little more than you want to spend but for new bows these are good prices.  I haven't shot or held either but the reviews are very good.

Go to a shop and shoot a few. They can get you setup with draw weight and drawlength. Also give you tips on proper form and anchoring etc. Some shops do have a good used bow selection. Mission is a good line of bows but i would also check into martin bows.

Pick up a Hoyt alphamax and be done with it, still one of hoyts best hunting bows you can probably get a 2010 model for $300.

Avoid Craigslist unless you really know your bows guys on there rip people off selling 20yr old bows for $300

The prohawk is a great bow. I had one for 2 years. Was a great bow I liked it a lot. Would still have it if I hadn't got such a good deal on the rampage xt I have now. My avatar pic to the left with the antelope that bow laying across it is my old prohawk. Killed a lot of animals with that bow

I think you can get the Bowtech Assassin with the RAK package for around 600 brand new and the Hoyt Charger with their package completely set up for around $700.  I know that is a little more than you want to spend but for new bows these are good prices.  I haven't shot or held either but the reviews are very good.

Last year I got the Bowtech Assassin with release, 1/2 doz arrows and broadheads I was over 800. great bow, lightweight and a pleasure to shoot. definitely recommend.

Edited by BUCKANDAQUARTER

Example of why i would never buy new again

NEW 2013 Hoyt Spyder 30 Approx $900...

2013 near perfect shape Hoyt Spyder 30.
Black riser, carbon finish on limbs. 
27.5 draw, #2 cam now
Max at 62#
200 Shots on a set of blue/silver Taz (Tim Zimmerman) Strings and Cables. Dark and Light blue with silver. (no stretch)
New strings (Factory) included
Blue Accessory kit installed. 
$650

I bought A left-over  Bear Charge ready to hunt on clearance from a big box sporting goods store last July for $270 plus tax.I replaced a 14 year old bow.If you are new to the sport you would most likely be better off buying from an archery shop like others have said.The advice and experience they can provide could pay dividends in no time.

If you buy used check over everything bring someone that knows bows. If you buy a bow for 300 and the string or cables need changing or sight rest broke these are going to cost more on top of your $300. Go to a shop. Remember that resale on a bow depends on who it fits, the more adjustable the better for you to grow with your bow, as time goes on sights & Rest can be changed.

Edited by Huntscreek

Check out the Caze by mission (mathews).  Bare bones is $299 with a life time warranty.  I bought one a couple of years ago and was able to walk out of the shop all decked out for $550 including a dozen arrows.  It's light and small and extreamly adjustable.  I believe the weight can go from 15lbs to 70lbs and the draw lengh from 19 to 20 inches.  I bought mine 3 years ago and I've killed a deer every year. 

i'm with Danny in that there's nothing to keep your from buying a used bow on something like ebay.  bows depreciate like cars so you can a good one really cheap.  don't let anyone tell you your first bow has to be a lesser bow.  I always tell people to buy the best equipment they can afford and stick with it.  after you get something don't worry about what joe down the road has... what you got is the best you could have and it will simply do what you need it to.

that said if you go new you're not going to get robbed.  PSE, Bear, Diamond, and Mission all make affordable bows.  also if you wait until early winter into spring you can get trade-ins or leftover model year bows cheaper.