Luna and Kunox Tracking Journal 2022

outdoorstom

Almost every one we’ve found has still been alive and we had to dispatch.  Love tracking bears….exciting!

Our guide on a Maine bear hunt tracked my buddy's bow hit bear and found him 30 yards in front of us. He came back to us and said, "he's right there. Still alive. Stay here. Be quiet. I'm going back to the truck to get my ammo!"
WTF!?!?!
LOVE this thread!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Our guide on a Maine bear hunt tracked my buddy's bow hit bear and found him 30 yards in front of us. He came back to us and said, "he's right there. Still alive. Stay here. Be quiet. I'm going back to the truck to get my ammo!"
WTF!?!?!
LOVE this thread!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i was just up in Maine and multiple times if there was a situation guides went back to get a hand cannon of a 44mag. fight or flight a 357 wasn't enough. they die pretty easy when shot by a hunter usually... so i'm told. lol

9/27/22

Luna has seniority, so she got our first track of the season tonight. New Tracker Mike joined us to get some experience.  
I had a bad feeling as the hunter described the shot on the initial phone call.  6 pointer at less than 10 yards that immediately went down at the shot, which often indicates a high back hit. 20-30 seconds later he got up and walked away before the hunter could get another arrow in him.  The arrow was found nearby and showed bright red blood.  The blood trail consisted of sporadic drops for 60 yards, then nothing.  Luna took us to last blood, then worked the area before picking a line.  She followed it for a couple hundred yards before going back to last blood and doing a restart on her own.  This happened over and over. We never saw another drop of blood or a bloody bed.  After 1.43 miles of circles, we pulled the plug.  The hunter and his cousin are going to put cameras out and hope to get a picture of him. I believe he is still on his feet.

B4880E86-A458-427B-BBA2-2F04FBE462E7.jpeg

• Like 13

9-27-22

An 18 year old huntress shot a 7 pointer last night, then the skies opened up with a 2.5 hour deluge. She and her Dad were able to check out the arrow before the blood got washed off and saw substantial blood, but there was the smell of guts.  We arrived at 8:30 this morning and learned that her Dad went out looking this morning, then her cousin. Luckily, they were looking in the wrong direction. This buck only went 275 yards, but there was zero blood on the track.  Kunox is a good boy!

While on the way to the first track, I received a call for help on a big 8 pointer that’s was shot last night. Rather than drive all the way home to swap dogs, Kunox lucked out and got two in a row. 

The hunter shot the buck at 28 yards from a 16 foot height, and could clearly see that he hit him high. The hope was that he hit the top of the lungs.  Kunox worked his tail off on this one, covering 2.7 miles.  It became obvious that coyotes were involved as Kunox kept stopping to mark, something he doesn’t do unless that’s the case. We were working most of the time in tall thick grasses, where often Kunox would totally disappear. More that once he stopped and asked me for a lift when it became impassable.  As the crow flies, the track was 990 yards. The track ended at a property line we couldn’t enter.

F95DC986-0CB5-4387-9AB4-E24F48B2B7BC.jpeg

• Like 20