will you take a deer of 2.5 years old or younger?

skyzmine

just wondering how many of you killed a deer 2-1/2 years old or younger

i dont want to here thats to young and so just the ones that have.

and be honest.

i have taken deer ''buck's and doe's'' 2-1/2 years old and younger

i must warn you 1st.

you may be labled

''if its brown its down''

Yes.. I try not to shoot fawns....Not a lot of meat on them...

I try to pick larger does, because does always taste good and they have more meat than smaller does..

1.5 year old bucks are fine with me, unless they are REALLY tiny...I've seen a few antlered bucks that were smaller than the average doe, and I would pass one one of them...I suspect most of them are late fawns from the year before... I'm perfectly content to take an average 1.5 year old, which in my area would dress out from 110 to 130 lb.

2-1/2 years old? ....... absolutely have and absolutely will take them now and in the future. 1-1/2 yr olds? ..... I certainly have taken my share of them over the years. Haven't in a long time, but I don't regret the ones I did take. In my younger years we enjoyed every bite and didn't worry for a minute that it might not have been up to someone else's standards. It was meat on the table. Today, we don't eat that much venison with the kids gone and everything, so I can afford to be a bit picky if I want. But if I see the end of the season getting near and I don't have venison in the freezer, the 1-1/2 yr olds better steer clear of me too.

Doc

Sure I have, many of the deer Ive killed have been 1 1/2 year old does. Shot a couple of button bucks when I was still kinda green. I have a 2 1/2 yo 8 point on my wall, my first buck. I took a shot at a 2 1/2 year old 8 point on opening day of bow this year. Missed him, but not on purpose lol. I have changed my rule for gun to an older deer, but I dont have a buck with my bow yet, so any 8 point or better will do.

Ive only been hunting for 2 yrs, and only with a bow. this being my second year.  Ive shot my bow twice in the field.  Got a 4pnt opening day last yr and a 5pnt this year.  at this stage in the game im not too worried about how old it is as long as its a legal. 

and like some have already stated... i wont shoot a tiny lil guy or something you need binos to see antlers on lol.  ive also made a rule for myself that each deer i take has to atleast match the deer i previously took. so far so good on that haha

When I first started I was just happy to see deer, so the first one that walked within range I took a shot at usually, except for fawns.  Since I've had the opportunity to harvest a lot of deer I've made a personal choice to shoot 3.5 or better.  If I need meat, I'll harvest a doe.  But, it should be whatever is reasonable for the hunter.  If someone doens't hunt often and only gets out occasionally, then by all means shoot whatever you want.  If you try to manage your property and waiting on a 3.5 seems unreasonable, then shoot a 2.5.  Especially the younger hunters, they can shoot anything and everything if it helps the hunting heritage.  My sister just started hunting last year and we manage our piece of property pretty heavily, but when she took her first buck, a 1 1/2 old 5 point, we were all thrilled for her even if it wasn't in the plans.  Seeing people happy is what matters the most.

mx - what happens when the next buck you take is a 12 point?! are you going to wait for a bigger one!?!?!?  lol!

i have taken  them...  past few season i have passed on them. but last year i did take a 4 point due to the lack of time i was able to get out last year, i wanted to put meat in the freezer.. this year i am trying not to shoot young deer. i will take a younger doe tho, not yearling...

Yes i have killed mank younger deer. but now im looking for older deer by choice i have only been hunting 7 years now im at the point in my hunting career that i need to step it up. i have passed 4 bucks 2 button bucks and 3 small does so far this year all within in 25 yards. hopefully soon i will get an chance at a nice mature buck soon.

I think almost every hunter has at some point there aren't many that start out with QDM on the brain sucess is first and formost to a good time in the field and feeding the addiction.  The answer is yes, I have, but like many after you get to a certain point management is key and it has been 10+ years since I have downed a 2 1/2 or less, doe's are just to tasty to be tempted otherwise and big old mature racks on the wall are the icing on the cake.