Horn color

20ftupatree

Factors that Determine Antler Color and Symmetry    Genetics - antler symmetry is determined almost entirely by genetic makeup. 

Oxidized blood/local plants - antler color  depends partly on the amount of oxidized blood left over from velvet  shedding and partly on a chemical reaction between the blood and sap  from plants on which the antlers are rubbed. 

found this on the web...

I always thought it was from the trees being rubbed. But then, how would the color wind up so uniform. If antler color was the result of some applied substance, wouldn't the color be blotchy or more built up in some parts of the antlers than others? What I have noticed is that dark colored antlers are of uniform coloration.

Doc

I always thought it was from the trees being rubbed. But then, how would the color wind up so uniform. If antler color was the result of some applied substance, wouldn't the color be blotchy or more built up in some parts of the antlers than others? What I have noticed is that dark colored antlers are of uniform coloration.

Doc

That was my thoughts on it. After hearing the ideas posted here I got to thinking about that baseball bat and I wondered why then is the WHOLE antler darker, The buck would only be rubbing a certain portion of the antler most of the time I mean yes it all probably comes in contact but there would be one certain part of the antler that would be darker than the rest and other parts that are virtually untouched, I mean they can't possibly rub every square inch of a rack, think about the underside of the tines and in the crotches.

Its is a mixture of the velvet and the type of tree that the buck is rubbing... normally hardwoods creat a yellowish orange color .. and softwoods like cedar and suck create the chocolate color because of the heavier sap in softwood trees.. the color of the dried blood from the velvet can add to collor tones as well during the rubbing process.

randome thoughts on the subject:

Just looking at bubba's pic, the rougher parts are darker.  looks like blood remnants from the velvet near the base.  The smoother parts higher up are rubbed cleaner. 

Antler sheds left in the woods for years are usually light in my experience.