Encountered giant buck!

Hunting3m

Me, my dad, and our buddy Dave went on a trip up to Spencer, NY for the weekend. I got picked up early Friday and we got up in time to hunt Friday afternoon.  I was in a stand on a hedgerow facing the woods, there was a thicket in front of me and an overgrown field to both sides of me (to my left was also an apple tree). My stand was a big base ladder stand in a big oak , with a swivel seat and burlap all around.  I loved this stand from the beginning. I saw 2 doe around 5 30, and witnessed a nice 4 pointer chase a doe around my tree for a good half hour. Just as the sun was about to set, around 6:10, no warning, didn't even hear a thing, a MONSTER steps out of thicket. In 3 seconds he was right there, 10 yards broadside. Everything happened so quickly i couldn't even count the amount of points he had on his non-typical rack. I got my bow up, nocked my arrow, and started to draw my bow. At 1/3 draw, my phone starts vibrating. I pause, he looks up and i hold my bow half drawn, shaking, he sees me And in an instant hes off. I have yet to be in any situation like that, let alone have a shooter buck within 30 yards of me, so i don't know what i could have differently! The text that made the biggest buck i might ever see spook off, was from my Grandpa saying "good luck if you go hunting this weekend". The whole rest of the trip i sat in the exact spot praying for another opportunity. Who ever thought that my phone in my pocket vibrating, would be something a deer could hear. 

I had that happen as I was about to shoot a bear once, he froze up for a minute trying to figure out what that faint noise was. After I quietly mouthed a few expletives saying how I was going to kill the wife if that's her calling,he moved to an opening and I got him. Turns out it was a wrong number!

Unfortunately, my experience says that you only get one crack at a buck like that...

Biz is right... Keep the phone off or put it on silent mode... It is tough enough to seal the deal without distractions and the big guys tend to always show up unannounced!!!