Pharsilia wild life management area.

apotvin693

Hey everyone.  Im thinking of going to pharsilia for a hunt in the 2014 bow season, wondering what the hunting pressure is like in the area as well as the deer population. also what the specific unit designation is for that area 7m, u, r????.  looking for a good hunt to put some meat in the freezer,  not necessarily a trophy hunt. 

It's 7M.  I don't know what the hunting pressure is like, but it's in a fairly rural area.  I drive by it on 23 quite regularly and I haven't noticed any increase in traffic since bow season started.  I will say, however, that there are a bunch of deer in the fields that I can see from 23 near it.  Give it a shot if you're fairly local to the area.  

That area in general has great hunting. Tons of state land around to spread the hunters thin. I have a hunting camp with roughly 450 acres on one end of Morgan hill state forest and we only see a notable amount of hunters during opening gun weekend. Besides that weekend, especially during bow, there is very limited pressure.

being that it is pretty rural, is a place to stay for a week while I hunt a lot to ask for.  what is the average size buck/doe in that area.  is it pretty risky to leave hunting equipment in the woods for a few months at a time around there like tree stands or a camera and what not.

To be honest, I can't tell you these answers. You need to go out that and find out. Personally I would think your stuff would be fine left out there but who knows now a days. But there are big deer there it just takes time. Plenty of deer roaming those hills. You just need to go and put time in the woods and you'll find if you like it or not. Personally I wouldn't bow hunt any larger area like that without any scouting done. I'd wait till I can use my rifle.

probably wont be going until the 2014 bow season so ill take a trip down and do some scouting in early spring.  I thought I heard from somebody that all of southern tier was shotgun and muzzleloader only.  Then I looked at dec website last night and it looks like only certain counties are that way.  Is this true?  Sorry, I don't mean to sound ignorant but I live one state away.  What are there for tree species down there? What is most predominate?  

a great area to hunt, go in off of route 23 on One eye road, there is 7500 acres of land, lots of mixed hard wood and pine.. take the road to the end and turn into the state land and follow the road around, you will see on the left the old shooting range and a small pond. If you take the walk bridge across the spill way, lots of hard wood and great area for deer and turkey. if you go down the road another 1/2 mile you will come to a T in the road, as you look across you will see several open fields, if you go to the right and then take a sharp left and go maybe 200 yards down and park, walk up into the hard woods on the right and you will find several apple trees. I got a great 8 point there. If you just take a left at the t and dive mabe 300 yards up, you will find on the left another small area that has maybe 10 or more apple trees and the small clearing butts up to a large tract of pines. I got another great buck just sitting in the clearing and he walked out to feed on apples. as for pressure you will not see many other cars during the bow and or small game  (bird hunter) but come gun the first week the roads are like NY city, with lots of hunters from down state . But most will not take a compass and walk in to get away from the herd. they just park and walk in maybe a 100 yards and sit . It sure does pay to scout ahead. if you need a hotel / motel then Norwich is 13 miles away and has a motel called the Norwich Inn  and they get just $30 bucks for a night. there phone is 607 334 9935.

I hope this helps

Bill

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By TheHornHunter
      I put up another post a few days ago about the buck I harvested and the favorable weather setup I took advantage of. A member replied asking me to expand on this and how barometric pressure impacts deer movement so I decided to make a new post about it.
      Cold fronts are one of the best catalysts for deer movement and there are  three phases to any cold front which we will discuss later as it relates to hunting. I’ve generalized the wind conditions below which are based on our typical north westerly winds for cold fronts but we occasionally have a NE system come through:
      Just before: winds will typically shift NW to N and barometric pressure will start increasing as temps slowly start to drop During: winds typically still NW to N, barometric pressure is high (30.2+) but typically flattens out as temperatures bottom After: winds shift S to SW, barometric pressure starts dropping as temps increase Before we get to the hunting part I think it’s worth explaining why cold fronts impact deer movement and how the deer react and interpret the weather conditions. Cold weather causes deer to use more energy to sustain which means they need to eat more and thus must head to food more during day light. During the rut it also drives more movement because it’s more favorable for bucks to run around – think about working out on a 90 degree July day vs. a 60 degree September day; I bet you can do a lot more and be more comfortable in September than July. So how do deer react to a cold front? Deer can sense changes in barometric pressure - I believe through a sensor in their ear - and they know if it starts rising that probably means colder weather is coming and vice versa when it drops. This means you’ll see movement just before it hits because deer will sense the pressure rising and will hit the feed to try and get enough reserves to get through whatever is coming. Once the cold is here and pressure is high they will typically continue to feed heavy or if during rut running around like crazy (partly because does are out more trying to eat). Finally, once the pressure starts dropping deer will understand better conditions are coming which I find usually has one good day of movement where deer are out restocking feed reserves and getting their social fix; after the first day of warmer temps I find movement drops off pretty drastically.
      Now to the fun part – how do you hunt them? Most of you know how powerful a October or early-to-mid November cold front can be at getting deer – especially mature bucks – up on their feet and I think any one of the above phases is a good time to be in the woods, although I’ve seen the most movement in #2 when temps are the lowest followed by #1 just before it hits and deer are preparing for it.
      That all changes from my experience once we get past the middle of November - they are still just as powerful (if not more) at driving movement but require different tactics. The cold fronts are now much colder with typically higher wind speeds and the deer are much more run down from already going through the bulk of rut. This translates to much more movement on phase #1 when the first northerly winds come in and pressure starts rising (signaling to deer bad weather ahead and the need to feed) and phase #3 when wind switches out of the south, temps start rising and pressure starts falling (signaling to deer the coast is clear and better conditions ahead). I’ve spent many lonely cold hours in the stand during the middle of those cold fronts thinking deer would be out feeding hard when temps are the lowest but based on my observations they more so just hunker  down in thermal bedding and forage on whatever is close to that. It’s almost like they avoid movement to try and conserve as much food reserves as they can which makes sense given the difference in temps (an October / early November cold front probably bottoms out at 20-40F while later season they will usually be single digits). I think the very low movement characteristics of phase #2 really enhance phase #3 which is by far my favorite time to hunt one of these cold fronts - phase #1 is good too and I definitely go out but I generally stay out of woods during phase #2 and do stuff like pull trail cam cards, put up new sets, etc. Deer are social creatures and become more like humans late season in that they don’t like nasty weather any more than us. Deer will crave social interaction after being bottled up for a couple days dealing with extreme cold so there’s two powerful factors driving movement in phase #3 (need to restore feed reserves and get their social fix). If you get one of these cold fronts from say 11/15 to 11/25 then you add another even more powerful factor and that’s the desire to breed with the tail end of rut. Bucks will finish breeding any does they are locked down with during the cold front but they don’t really go out seeking new ones until weather gets better so you can see some powerful seeking and chasing on the first south wind after a cold front (especially with mature bucks).
      This is exactly what happened on my hunt – Tuesday afternoon the winds shifted NW and pressure started rising so I jumped in an observation stand overlooking a creek bed and rye grass field on one of my properties and saw quite a few does and some bucks (including a big frame 10) hitting the tallest section of grass an hour before sunset. Temps dropped to single digits Wednesday and Thursday – I ended up hunting Thursday because it was thanksgiving and who doesn’t hunt on Thanksgiving (?!) but only saw a few does – I usually see at least one 3 year old buck and minimum of 10-15 deer every time I hunt this property so this was a very slow day. Friday AM was still very cold but winds switched to the south, pressure started dropping, and it was probably 35 degrees by 2PM when I headed out. I went to the closest spot I could get to where I saw the deer feeding in the rye on Tuesday which happened to be in a hedgerow – we didn’t have a stand on it so I put some brush together and made a DIY blind to ground hunt from. I had a 3 year 130-140 class 8 pointer cruise by within 60 yards of me less than ten minutes after I was set up and had constant action the rest of the evening (two mature bucks, two 3 year olds, three 2 year olds and ~15 small bucks and does). I had 8 does in front of me in the rye around 430PM when I saw one snap her head back to the creek bed at the head of the hedgerow I was on and a second later I had my buck in sight at a full run after her grunting like crazy. I couldn’t stop him and ended up shooting him on the run, but it was something I will never forget and is a good example of how powerful the action can be right after one of those brutal late November cold fronts.
      The best stand locations are pinch points between bedding and food or right on a food source (my favorite are green ones like winter wheat, clover, rye, etc. or a cut corn field). I like to sit an observation stand where I can see a lot of ground on the first phase so I can get an idea of where the deer are moving and then I move in on those spots and either ground hunt or do a hang and hunt on that first day of southerly winds (unless of course I’m lucky enough to already have a set hung there but I’m usually not that lucky).
      I hope this helps explain my strategy better and helps one of you put a nice buck on the ground! Definitely let me know if anyone has any questions or has different opinions or experience on the matter.
      --- Horn Hunter
    • By NFA-ADK
      http://www.hamiltonc...s/02142012_herd
      Apparently I am not the only one complaining about the deer population in Hamilton County. I know many on this site have said the deer population in the ADK was high but this confirms what I am seeing... I think It is funny how NYS wants more people to buy licences yet they are not willing to help the population that we hunt for or manage the land we pay for... I know you can not compair the entire ADK with one county but this area seems to have some of the largest tracks of land that is managed or should I say unmanaged by the DEC. Granted winter kill is hard in these area's and predation takes it's toll but it seems these area's with larger tracks of state land seem more deviod of wildlife. Shortening the season by one day I do not think will make a dif. and antler only restriction seems to have no affect accourding to the DEC. Logging is out as no one wants to allow NYS to control that. So far the season date changes seems to be the only thing that can be done by the DEC.
      Question is what can be done to help improve the habitat in these area's except hope for a mild winter? Or are we just to leave forever wild as forever empty of wild life...
      Again this is a topic for trying to improve habitat for all hunting and what can be done to improve it...
      Any Ideas???
      Clear cutting, Controled burns, shortening the season, antler only restriction are some idea's. Clear cut and burns are not allowed and antler restrictions are said to be low impact.
      I feel the Antler restrictions would help yet the dec complains they will not be able to get population controled with this restriction in area's that need it... I say keep the bow season open for doe and allow archery clubs to take care of populations where needed. This would allow control of herds yet still restrict doe take in area's where populaton is low.
      Plain and simple if you take a kid hunting or fishing and get nothing and see nothing you will not keep them interested very long. By improving habitat and population you have a better chance of improving hunter retention... helping the hunter, the state and the DEC...
      What do you think would help?