What Type Of Game Would Keep + Hold A Youngster Fof Years To Come?

blackbeltbill

Ok-- I am sitting in the Woods + Bored- but,I digress already.

So- when thinking of a Youth in their very 1st Hunting Season- What Type of Game will keep them excited enough + motivated  to come back and hunt hopefully  out of their Teens?

I am Leaning towards  Pheasant Hunting with a Pheasant Dog. Just watching that Dog work will make the time fly. And the " Learning Curve" with Pheasant Hunting is not too long. Flusher or a pointing Breed- when that Dog is " Hot"- the Youngster will be ready to fire.

And plenty of opportunities might happen in a morning. When a Cackling Rooster Pheasant  gets up- it is Hunting at its finest.

I think in 2nd would be Spring Turkey Hunting. Now here- the Learning Curve is much longer-- even with a mentor.  Buttt-- There us Gobbling  going on. A Youngster  will be hooked for Life.

Those are my 2 top picks for holding the interest of a new Youth Hunter.

What Say You?

What is your Top Pick to keep and Hold a New Youth Hunter for hopefully  many years to come?

• Like 1

Good question, and I like your choices. 

I was thinking that deer season can be an adrenaline rush when you have deer in close and are able to take one, but.... the rest of the time (which for me seems to be most of the time), there's not much going on.

On the other hand, duck, goose, and rabbit hunting can be a lot of fun with lots of action and lots of shooting. My hesitation there though is that I'm not sure how much I want a first timer out there swinging their gun around at fast moving game.

So I'm thinking maybe squirrel hunting with a .22 would be my go to for a first time hunter. Plenty of action, but not as chaotic as some of the others can be. If they enjoy themselves with this, move up to some of the others. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Squirrels! They were so exciting when I was young. 

I still enjoy them. 

Lots of them around, and who cares if you miss. Another will come along. I liked taking my son out, it really kept him interested having so much action.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Squirrels for sure. You're generally moving and staying active with generally plenty of opportunities and they taste great. Second would be any kind of waterfowl or upland bird. 

3rd and 4th respectively would be turkey and deer. Turkey is real fun because you're calling and moving some and deer is super rewarding, but success generally really low with lots of quiet sitting. 

• Thanks 1

When I had my dog and my boys were too young to shoot, I would give them a video camera (wish I still had the footage or knew where I have it-it must be around!) and plant a few birds on my buddy's property. They loved the anticipation and I loved the "control" I had over the game.

One boy asked me to take him deer hunting when he was super young. We set up a ground blind, I gave him a sling shot to keep him entertained and a bag of snacks. Saw no deer but he learned how to crap in the woods and he was "pretty sure he heard one" just beyond the brush line.

While they haven't hunted with me since(too busy with sports and friends and school-in that order), I truly think I planted enough of a seed for them (or maybe just 1 of them) to make time for the outdoors. The lifetime licenses I bought them will not be "wasted"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1