Traffic stops/deer checks?

russellbrook

I don't know about other parts of the state, but I don't see the check stations that much anymore. And the very rare few that I have seen were not mandatorily required to stop in. For the most part they rely on deer processors to gather biological info. And of course they also rely on the flawless honesty and cooperation of hunters to handle reporting..... lol. That coupled with some black magic, hocus-pocus statistical activity.

A few years back  I was pulled over faler to stop for a deer check and given a ticket the troopers were pulling up the cones and it looked like no one was there. I offered to go back trooper said no need and handed me a ticket after looking at my license I believe once he new I was from Long Island he figured I would not come all the way back to fight the $50 fine he was right. I sent it in. But I still feel he was wrong for pulling me over.

We usually get stopped crossing over the Throggs Neck during the first weekend of rifle.  Anybody with a truck that hunting equipment can be easily seen or transporting a deer get pulled over.  It's a major hassle.  Backs up traffic and usually adds a 1/2 hour onto my already long 4 hour ride home.  Simply a way for the state to generate money!

• Like 1

I haven't seen a deer check point since I was a teenager. I do remember the state police working with dec. All dec had to know is that you were a hunter and they would search your vehicle. The state police would accompany dec and arrest you for any violations that dec couldn't. They were never nice and polite. I recall one time they had gone through the motor home I was in like it was crack house and we were all criminals.

Typically, conservation officers are not required to have a search warrant.   Should they is a matter that can be argued until the cows come home with no resolution. Bottom line, it's the law of the land and my view is if you voluntarily choose to participate in the activity you also accept the laws that go with it.  As Paula said, if you're legal and not confrontational with the officers, it shouldn't be any big deal.  

• Like 1

Although I haven't seen them lately they weren't "DEER" check stations More "HUNTERS" check stations where they were having all hunters pull over and be checked.

Guy I worked with got pulled over and ticketed for passing it. No deer or anything else wrong just ticketed for not stopping!

Former NY-er here, wondering about State Troopers & DEC stopping traffic during deer season; was stopped a couple years ago at a "check point," & considered troopers behavior just short of harassment - Fourth Amendment be damned!

Same here last year, guy was a dbag

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

NYS DEC officers are state police officers, that mainly focus on Environmental Law. One of the main differences that we are concerned with is that ECO require a lot less probable cause to search you or your vehicle than your normal state police officer.

Like Paula and Steve said, play by the rules and accept that these things will happen. You folks want poachers caught? This is one of the ways DEC does it. Those that use wife's buck tags, etc., they would get ticketed if caught at these stops.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 3

Years ago we would stop at the checkpoint on Rte 125 near Cairo.  Then I think it became voluntary, then it went away with the claim of not enough personnel due to budget cuts.   Last year, or the year before( can't remember which)We were pulled over at the Throgs Neck Bridge.  It was extremely dangerous having to go from the middle toll booth all the way to the right hand shoulder with 7 lanes of cars coming at you.  One of the dumbest things I've ever witnessed.  The State Troopers had vehicles pulled over that appeared to have hunters in them.  Blaze orange and deer were giveaways.  We were held up for about 10 minutes while they checked our vehicle and asked us questions.  They had about 3 other vehicles pulled over also.  We were released without any violations, total harassment.

Edited by PWGUNNY

NYS DEC officers are state police officers, that mainly focus on Environmental Law. One of the main differences that we are concerned with is that ECO require a lot less probable cause to search you or your vehicle than your normal state police officer.

Like Paula and Steve said, play by the rules and accept that these things will happen. You folks want poachers caught? This is one of the ways DEC does it. Those that use wife's buck tags, etc., they would get ticketed if caught at these stops.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Still doesn't give them a right to be dbags.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

i doubt the state has the money to do this, but i would welcome it. so longer as you're obeying the law and nice enough to the officer, i doubt they would harrass you. If you're trying to hide stuff, then you deserve the harassment you get.

They did a check on 17b in white lake last year.

They did a check on 17b in white lake last year.

i guess my point was that i'm sure they do it, but not as much as they'd like to. And i'm thinking that limited funds are why. I don't view a DEC officer checking your truck bed and weapon as any sort of invasion of privacy.

Edited by Belo