New LHR Muzzleloader

RickF

Just got back from the range after shooting my new muzzleloader, the LHR Redemption.  I was very impressed and can see why it got the muzzleloader of the year award from Field and Stream.  This is built in NH by the former T/C design engineers who left when T/C moved to Springfield with Smith and Wesson.

The gun has some very innovative features including being hammerless, using a match trigger and using a breech plug system that eliminates the inside threading of the barrel.  The breach is held in with a collar that now puts the threading on the outside of the barrel eliminating trying to clean those breech plug threads.  Without the threading the rifling now is all the way down into the barrel which improves accuracy.  The barrel, made by Green Mountain, is coated both inside and out, a first.  The process, called armonite, does not change the diameter and is advertised as being corrosion proof.  Pretty innovative stuff and all made in the US.

I took it out to the range and shot about 20 rounds through it using Blackhorn 209 powder and Shockwave 250's. I mounted a 2-7 Leupold Ultimate Slam on it and shot sub inch groups at 100 yards and one and a half inch groups at 200 yards.

No doubt this gun will now be my go to muzzleloader.  I like my Omega, and it has served me well, but this thing has too many other features that I need to put through the paces.

If you haven't seen it check out their website:

http://lhrsportingarms.com/

Rick

• Like 3

I cleaned it before my first shot just to get any oils etc. out of it.  I then shot 4 shots and then pulled the breech (which was easy). I was impressed that there was very little residue, but that was what I was told would happen by the Blackhorn guys.  I ended up running a patch after every 5 shots although I think I could have done it every 10 or so shots.

The barrel cleaned up so easy.  My buddy shot his with triple seven pellets and I can tell you the Blackhorn was much cleaner.  If you do get a Redemption they offer different breech plugs, including one specifically for loose powder.  That is what I am using. 

I have the 24 inch barrel but I notice they also have a 20 inch Carbine as well.....might have to check that out!

Rick

I have spoken to all the former TC guys , all very informative. How was the trigger , can you adjust it?

Also,was it hard to find a scope base as its fairly new to the industry

Lastly, I hope their customer service is as good as

TC has been.

Comes with Weaver style base. I used Leupold medium rings (PRW) with my scope (Leupold Ultimate Slam). The trigger is light and has zero creep and no overtravel to it. The trigger guard is rather odd shaped but it is made to fit if you are wearing gloves. The gun is made for the hunter that's for sure. The guys that run the company were the "go to" guys when T/C was still here in NH. If you had a problem you showed up with the gun and they fixed it. That's what made T/C so successful. When T/C got bought by S&W and moved out to MA things changed, and these guys made the decision to stay behind and continue making guns in NH with the focus of providing the things that made T/C successful, customer service and product quality. They are new and still in their infancy but they certainly have the right business model and attitude. It's interesting that these former T/C employees named their first gun.....Redemption....there's a lot to be read into that.

Rick

I'll stick with my Pro Hunter... Not thrilled with the way T/C has been run since moving it down here where I live.. but still, for that money and the way my T/C shoots... I would be a fool to swap it... But for someone looknig to jump into black powder.. might be a good choice...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have only shot the Blackhorn 209 through it, very clean.  I have a hunting buddy that still shoots pellets (triple 7) and his groups were a bit greater...that could be because of many factors including the shooter (hope he doesn't read this!).  I used the loose powder breech plug and he used the universal plug...only difference in the guns,  except that my rings were Leupold and his were weaver...both of us had 2-7 Ultimate slams on the guns.

I am picking up a new carbine (20 inch barrel) this week and will report on that one when I get it set up.

Rick