Which Rifle?

Fehyd643

True death occurs when the brain dies.  The whole point of any shot is to prevent oxygen flow from reaching the brain.  Even a direct heart shot, the brain still lives for a couple of seconds and thus will experience pain even if it's for a very short amount of time.

With that said, the brain (especially on a deer) is a small target that is heavily encased in bone thus leaving room for a greater chance of error or deflection.

• Like 1

This is true. When not done correctly...thats when the crap hits the fan. Wounded animals, broken jaws etc....

I agree. I was just saying.

Ill admit to taking a few head shots in the past. I never made a bad head shot, maybe I was lucky, maybe I was just good. Havent taken one in a looooong time.

• Like 1

What's a whitetails brain, inch and a half?

No thanks. Had a buddies friend who had a buck run on to a frozen lake after being shot. Well, the ice broke, and the buck went into the drink.

I will forgo the details, except to say those headshots aint pretty. He was a good shot but....

I'm a big fan of hunting with a 223 but you have to know its limitations. From what you are describing I would go with the 308. 308 has more range and a lot more ummmphhhh. I use my 223 for shots under a 100 yards usually closer to under 50 from the places I sit. You don't exactly have to be a sniper to put one in the goody box from 50 yards!

i think you'll appreciate your scope in low light conditions and when you have targets behind some brush/twigs more than a red dot. Your .308 has an advantage in knock down power and may be more forgiving with a poor shot where a .223 could be less forgiving. I'm only a slug gun hunter so take my comments regarding the calibers with a grain of salt, but I firmly believe in a good scope over a red dot.

Edited by Belo

Maybe you misunderstood me. The AR-15 in .233 the OP has is lighter weight than his Rem 700 in .308, which is his preferred. That right there, is an desirable advantage for the OP.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

what's the weight difference (it cant be that significant)? are we stalking of ground blind/tree stand hunting? I guess less weight would be better when stalking and the red dot would be nicer for quick shots, although i don't condone shooting running deer. But before my grandfather died last spring he continued to hunt with open sights. He preferred the advantage of finding his target quicker. Weight shouldn't factor at all when sitting in the stand. the extra weight can even be welcome for shouldering and steadying the gun.

Careful, Belo the meat police might see this thread and bite your balls off for such comments. You. Must. Eat. Everything!

i told you I dont eat the ribs. barely anyone does. Enjoy your head shots and backstrap wasting. you'll never convince me or 95% on this site that only eating the neck and ribs while taking head shots is a good way to hunt.

• Like 2

what's the weight difference (it cant be that significant)? are we stalking of ground blind/tree stand hunting? I guess less weight would be better when stalking and the red dot would be nicer for quick shots, although i don't condone shooting running deer. But before my grandfather died last spring he continued to hunt with open sights. He preferred the advantage of finding his target quicker. Weight shouldn't factor at all when sitting in the stand. the extra weight can even be welcome for shouldering and steadying the gun.

That's a question that should be directed at the OP, he stated the wright difference as a pro.

i told you I dont eat the ribs. barely anyone does. Enjoy your head shots and backstrap wasting. you'll never convince me or 95% on this site that only eating the neck and ribs while taking head shots is a good way to hunt.

Not trying to convince anyone to do anything. Just stating what works for me. Maybe you should try it sometime, instead of pushing your agendas.

True death occurs when the brain dies.  The whole point of any shot is to prevent oxygen flow from reaching the brain.  Even a direct heart shot, the brain still lives for a couple of seconds and thus will experience pain even if it's for a very short amount of time.

With that said, the brain (especially on a deer) is a small target that is heavily encased in bone thus leaving room for a greater chance of error or deflection.

it also prevents deer zombies. Head shots! yippie!

Edited by Belo