Wind Checker

BackWoods Hunter

I like the addition of a big woods forum. I use scent control products in the mountains but more out of habit than anything else. I hunt from ground and do a lot of walking so I have the ability to hunt a favorable wind. Plus wind is often pretty swirly in mountains. Scent control is just a low priority for me out there.

i use the dead down wind wind checker... i like it... 

for the most part i dont really need it, i can tell where the wind is blowing but its good for having better accuracy in a stalk or even in light breezes. i spray some doe estrus most of the time to check wind.

I also like this forum as I hunt primarily the Adirondacks.  I do not use any sorts of scents, I just pay attention to the wind currents as stated before.  I to also do a lot of walking.  One reason I do not pay a whole lot of attention to the wind is I don't know whether human scent bothers deer in the big woods where they don't experience that smell a lot.  Just last weekend I had a doe come in down wind of me and walked right up to within 10 feet of me on the ground just grazing.  She never once was alarmed or raised a tail until I had to move to leave.  

I saw that Dick's Sporting Goods carries Dead Downwind and wondered how many of you use it or something similar when you're hunting in the mountains. I hate to buy it and use it once just to see that it doesn't really work.

I have a friend who uses milk weed pods that he picks up JUST before they bust wide open.  He keeps them in his pocket and just lets a few off into the air to watch the wind direction.  I tear a TINY piece of tissue from a Kleenex and let that float out of my tree stand when bow hunting.  It works for me.........

I wouldn't spend the money on a product like that.

I have a friend who uses milk weed pods that he picks up JUST before they bust wide open.  He keeps them in his pocket and just lets a few off into the air to watch the wind direction.  I tear a TINY piece of tissue from a Kleenex and let that float out of my tree stand when bow hunting.  It works for me.........

I wouldn't spend the money on a product like that.

I'm with your buddy lawdwaz, just break the seeds off they float better. You can watch all the wind currents.

I'm with your buddy lawdwaz, just break the seeds off they float better. You can watch all the wind currents.

Funny when you let em fly, they drift to the south west then 15 seconds later they're coming BACK your way!!  Ahh, the fickle wind currents.  Better cinch up the full body Scent Lock Suit.................. :comando:

I too have noticed that the deer in big woods can be less picky about scent, in general, but then again maybe those monster bucks that are rarely seen don't follow that rule.

Come to think of it, there are many tactics and strategies with hunting the mountains/ big woods that are so different from hunting woodlots and agricultural areas that it really desrves its own forum.

I wash my clothing with dead down wind detergent. I start washing myself with the dead soap 2 weeks before season and all during. I spray down and keep clothes in bag ect. Last weekend i decided to ground hunt, expecting a particular buck to come through some trails with wind in my favor as ive seen him do before. That morning he decides to come up behind me. Im sitting on the ground ducked against a stone wall, hiding well. He sniffed me out before i head him and was gone.

Finally realized what everyone always says. Playing the wind is most important. Sure doing all that cleaning might help but at least i learned it wont fool them now. That bastard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Works alright, all it is ground chalk or talcum powder, Playing the wind is a must for whitetails or any animal. Only downside of them is cant see what wind is doing 30 feet away from you. milk weed seeds or small feathers work better.

I found that out yesterday and I was pretty disappointed. I was hoping to see what the wind was doing further away but of course the stuff just dissipates inside of about 15 feet.

I use the milk weed when I'm high up (either in a climber or on a cliff or rise, etc.)  I use Code Blue wind checker when I'm on the ground.

Milk weed seeds will show you what the wind is doing after it leaves your immediate area. Most wind direction checking powers are only good for  6 feet or so. Send one of those milkweed seeds out there and watch all the twists and turns your scent really is taking. Sometimes, there are some interesting surprises that go on that the powders will never tell you.

Milk weed seeds will show you what the wind is doing after it leaves your immediate area. Most wind direction checking powers are only good for  6 feet or so. Send one of those milkweed seeds out there and watch all the twists and turns your scent really is taking. Sometimes, there are some interesting surprises that go on that the powders will never tell you.

I completely agree.  That's why I use the milk weed when ever I'm high enough.  I find that when I'm on the ground, especially on calm days, the milk weed only goes a few feet before it falls to the ground.