Extreme scent free

noodle one

I know that some people go all out to be scent free. I myself shower with scent free soap and use scent free deodorant, I also use baking soda  all over my body beIore I dress. I have had deer come to within 5 yards of me and never know I was there. I had a friend who did the same as me  plus more to extremeTwo weeks before season he would stop eating all red meat. He would shave all his body hair (head to toes) . The thing is that he never killed any more or bigger deer than me. I would like to know if there anyone on here that goes to extremes to be scent free? Let us hear what you do?

• i take a de-scenting shower prior to every hunt using scent killer body wash and shampoo

• use my de-scented towel that air dries and goes back in my carbon bag

• after i use scent blocker body lotion and my dead down wind anti persprent deoderant under arm pits and chest and neck

• i put on my de-scented under garments from my carbon sack

• spray down under garments when i get to my spot

• completely spray down my coveralls, boots, bow and pack along with my hair and face

• i get one scent killer wet wipe ready so when i get to my stand i wipe my face and hands

• i use dead down wind mouth spray and spray 10 times before walking in and 10 times on stand

• all my clothes are put back in my carbon sacks and the process is repeated for my next hunt

i shave every thing anyway (no relation to scent control)

and i mouth wash with pure peroxide sometimes to kill everything

boots get baking soda inside

i have deer within feet sometimes... and have had countless deer come in on my pure down wind side, worry free this year alone. i do as much as i can, am i 100% scent free? prob not but i do my part! and it pays off year after year! ive been like this since i was 16 years old, scent control for me is nothing new and second nature, im 32 yo...

* i know some will say they care more about the WIND* but the wind changes often... some take scent control serious and some just do not. i am one who does and i will always be that way. every year it seems to get worse lol but i enjoy it, any mental edge one can gain is one less thing to worry about at full draw

I shower with my baby's soap and shampoo (hey, it's scent and dye free, and we have LOTS of it) before going out in the morning.  I'll put on clothes that have been washed without fabric softener and dried outside..

When I go out after work, I smell like I've been driving a truck for 12 hours and just spent 15 minutes at the diesel pumps. 

I've taken deer in both conditions.

I was hunting the wind once stinking up the joint.  I hunt towards the wind completely ignoring my back because whatever was behind me would have sniffed out all the gas I was passing or whatever stink that was coming out of me that day.  I kept on hearing noises in that direction and figured it had to be squirrels and chipmunks.  After a few minutes I decided to turn around and 30 yards right behind me were two does.  They must have saw my head pop out and immediately stopped what they were doing.  I held still and they hung around for several minutes and eventually they figured something wasn't right in my direction and decided to walk the other direction.  All this scent stuff may work for deep wood deer but I'm not so sure how much it impacts suburban deer.  Especially if 200-300 yards away is a house or a highway, etc.

[EDIT: By hung around, I meant they went back to what they were doing, checking the ground, etc)]

Edited by Elmo

I realize you are funning here, but it is a good idea to consider scent when you pack your lunch. Scent free clothing, body, etc. goes out the window after a lunch of salami and pepper jack cheese sandwich...washed down with a couple of cups of hot chocolate. Think not only of eliminating scent, but also of not creating new scent.

• Like 1

I realize you are funning here, but it is a good idea to consider scent when you pack your lunch. Scent free clothing, body, etc. goes out the window after a lunch of salami and pepper jack cheese sandwich...washed down with a couple of cups of hot chocolate. Think not only of eliminating scent, but also of not creating new scent.

most guys never thought of that...thanks.

i dont eat that kind of stuff... i do think about that as well but there is only so much you can do.  the only thing i eat is something easy like a vanilla or strawberry wafer protein bar or cashews or something. your food scent doesn't linger around for the day at all. and after i eat i wipe down again. if you open something yes the smell is out but its not something that can blow hunts. long and short of it is you have to eat, plain and simple. i have munched plenty of times and still have had deer come in downwind during and after eating. certain things are not associated with humans i believe... but the true scent of a human is undeniable to a deer hands down. someones simple lunch, i wouldnt be concerned all that much. a salami and provolone sandwich, well thats a different story...

I agree. I never drink coffee the morning of. My lunch is always peanut butter sandwiches n water to drink.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Very good point that people miss. Even drinking coffee before hunting can be bad. I can't help it though. I usually go with the 20gram power bars for food. It depends on how serious you want to get. I'll never understand the guys that full their trucks up at the gas station in their gear though.

Edited by Belo

Good point....Do NOT gas up on the way out to hunt.  At the very least, the bottoms of your boots will be laden with gas scent.....YUK!

this is a good one too... i gas up night before and when walking to my truck and driving i wear different shoes then what i walk in the woods with... jeez funny how much crap i do that i wouldnt have thought to mention.

and i only drink water...

• Like 1