Handheld gps

apotvin693

I've got a Garmin 76CSx - LOVE it. I've used it in some pretty heavy cover woods and have never lost satellite reception due to canopy.    It works in the woods,  on the road, and on the water. A lot of bang for the bucks. Not as good on the roads as our Nuvi, but it certainly will get ya there. 

I like the garmin because they have the sd card slot for hunting maps which will overlay all public land, private land and who it is owned by, all wmu boundaries, and every hiking trail and tenth class road you can drive a four wheeler down. Not sure about the other ones. Need to do more research still.

With the iPhone I have never had trouble losing the app's GPS capabilities even when the phone does not have service, but admittedly I do not hunt extremely remote areas. I'm not saying that an app can replace a good GPS unit,  but for my purposes it is more than enough and for the few dollars it costs, it may be worth a look depending on where you are planning on using it. 

I like the garmin because they have the sd card slot for hunting maps which will overlay all public land, private land and who it is owned by, all wmu boundaries, and every hiking trail and tenth class road you can drive a four wheeler down. Not sure about the other ones. Need to do more research still.

If you end up with the 76CSx - - give me a shout, I have a file that has all of the settings I finally settled on after much reading and trial and error.  May not be exactly to your liking but will get it all set and also be a good tool for you to become familiar with the available menus and various settings. It is a very customizable unit.  It also supports different datums for topos.