NY Bowhunters more "Discipline"

Dutchess hunter

Are we more discipline due to all the rules and regulation imposed on us by the DEC...My brother who lives and hunts in Virginia talks how they bait thier deer and even use dogs...during thier bow season...Now I will brag stating here in N.Y. we actually have to hunt. The deer are not thrown into our laps...Probably why there are no hunting shows made in NY..those guys would have to work to reap the reward of tagging a deer.

I, too, find it interesting how huntings regs. vary widely from state to state. The managing agencies share many of the same goals, but they sure do things differently. Who is right...???

State Agencies have a lot of variables to consider, especially in states as diverse and as densely populated (even the more rural areas in contrast to the midwest) as NY, PA and NJ. QDM or Trophy can be done the same virtually anywhere because the deer basically stay on the large properties.

Though I agree that NY has some pretty good regs...it certainly is not as tight as some other Northeastern or even Midwestern states in terms of 2 Bucks, No Check Stations, Sundays Allowed, Almost No AR, and especially Uninterrupted Deer Season from Early to Reg to MZ.

For example PA has AR that vary from WMU to WMU, Seasons that Vary from WMU to WMU, Interruptions of NO Deer Hunting in between Archery, Reg, MZ, Flintlock, and during Bear, no Sundays and 1 Buck/year.

Alternatively Central/Southern New Jersey is basically Doe/Day Sept 15- Feb 15 with a couple interruptions but with legal baiting and no AR.  Jersey is earn-a-buck for the first two weeks of the season though.

Edited by Meat Manager

Yeah PA is really pretty bad. The no sundays thing would really piss me off.

That's the one they should definitely change...just not fair to a working Joe.

I've harvested 3 deer in NY on Sundays in the past 6 years, 2 this year, 5 years ago it was my only deer of the season.

Edited by Meat Manager
  • Like 1

Buddies in NC only know two ways to hunt, over bait, or by use of dogs. They were in dis belief when I told them that neither was legal here.

when I first moved down here near charlotte and got my first hunting license I couldn't believe how many deer I was able to get. The south definitely view deer as more of a nuisance than anything else. The deer are so small here but there is loads of them. Also with all of the housing developments going up here the deer are quickly running out of places to go. Literally around the corner from me are deer that just live in between the houses. People feed them like most people feed birds and squirrels. My buddy got a nuisance permit for a local soybean farm down the road and it's basocally kill as many deer as you can. I think he's allowed to take up to 60 deer (buck or doe). The coyotes are becoming more numerous here too.

I lived in TX for a while after I graduated, and while I was completely unable to hunt, I was able to talk to a lot of people about their experiences and how they hunt, and saw some videos. I think I was as surprised by how they hunt as they were about how I hunt (here in WNY). I am not trying to suggest that either is wrong, or less ethical, or anything. They are just different. I know that my preference is here, though. There is nothing wrong with being proud to hunt here in NY. Everyone has different experiences and I'd love to one day film a hunt to share that with others. The internet and youtube are pretty cool that way; we are no longer "confined" to the hunts they show on TV.  I know I've gotten a kick out of watching some of the PA hunts and vids posted here on the forum.

when I first moved down here near charlotte and got my first hunting license I couldn't believe how many deer I was able to get. The south definitely view deer as more of a nuisance than anything else. The deer are so small here but there is loads of them. Also with all of the housing developments going up here the deer are quickly running out of places to go. Literally around the corner from me are deer that just live in between the houses. People feed them like most people feed birds and squirrels. My buddy got a nuisance permit for a local soybean farm down the road and it's basocally kill as many deer as you can. I think he's allowed to take up to 60 deer (buck or doe). The coyotes are becoming more numerous here too.

States like NC are managing a severely overpopulated heard. Jersey is similar but with bigger deer...lots of residential monsters. Doe/day fits their management goals...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always said let the so called "experts" on the TV shows come to NY and hunt like we do & see how they do.  They (TX) hunt out of box blinds over bait & take 300 yd. shots . They spread the bait & wait for the deer to walk into the lane. Basicly target practice imo. the deer don't know anyone is there, no  hunting involved.

Don't underestimate how much the game laws are influenced by state history, tradition and hunter opinions. The various game management agencies from each state have to take into consideration the politics of their decisions. Right or wrong, hunters are their primary population control tools, and the agencies have to pay attention to many of the old institutionalized techniques. Imagine walking into Texas and telling them that baiting is going to be outlawed. I think they would have a rebellion on their hands. Each state has to do what it must do and that doesn't make any of them more right than the rest, and the decisions are not always based on a biological basis, especially if the outcomes are judged to be insignificant.

As far as the more restrictive laws that we have, I have no real problems living with them. I have spent a lifetime hunting under them, and to me none of them are any real hardship. I don't want or need my every hunting need to be coddled, and I think the challenge here is just about right.

• Like 1

I have always said let the so called "experts" on the TV shows come to NY and hunt like we do & see how they do.  They (TX) hunt out of box blinds over bait & take 300 yd. shots . They spread the bait & wait for the deer to walk into the lane. Basicly target practice imo. the deer don't know anyone is there, no  hunting involved.

I never really thought much about it, but many of the Texas deer have no association with the hunter... just the shot ... in some cases the deer are never pressured by humans and may never see one. More like a video game than hunting.

Don't forget to put on your camo before climbing into the box , I never understood wearing camo inside those boxes.

• Like 1

Our states regs are based on maximum hunting license sales imo. Theyre not based on deer biology an dsure not out to please everybody. If you go to Ohio you jaw would hang low....there regs are a large portion of why they have giants yet everyone is happy (or close to) with the system. Baiting, dogs, etc doesnt make or bag big bucks...and the reason why NY deer are so hard to hunt is because NY hunters are primarily lazy slobs. Gimmick buying bums that love gun seasons and driving 50mph gusts here and precip and it sounded like a war zone with jackwagons sighting in ...take a ride by any sporting goods store and youll see the Bone Collector bumper stickered trucks full or camo clad morons......  My neighbor grunts so much i think deer now make turkey sounds because theyre annoyed with their language.

• Like 5

I saw a show where the guy grew up in WNY and said how hard it was here compared to out west, his exact words were"A 2.5 year old WNY buck is as smart or smarted than a 6 year western buck "

There are plenty of reasons for that and bait and dogs are not on the list.

Right here is the bigggest reason why hunting out west is a bit easier than in NY

hunter_density_574_421_s_zpsd452ea89.jpg

There are plenty of reasons for that and bait and dogs are not on the list.

Right here is the bigggest reason why hunting out west is a bit easier than in NY

hunter_density_574_421_s_zpsd452ea89.jpg

Agree 100%...Plenty of big mature whitetails in NY, most of them just spend most of their time in the dark avoiding hunters.

I like that states do it differently. Allows us to learn from different managemt approaches. And if we really wanted to, we could move to the state that we thought was doing it right.

All things considered regulations are not the biggest reason states have better or worse deer populations.

I also agree that a good broad comparative set of systems helps fine tune what works and what doesn't...I do hope someday to be able to relocate based solely on Whitetail Opportunity...just gotta get my wife on board for the move from boring NY to exciting Kansas or Iowa...lol.

Edited by Meat Manager
  • Like 1

Agree 100%...Plenty of big mature whitetails in NY, most of them just spend most of their time in the dark avoiding hunters.

I also agree that a good broad comparative set of systems helps fine tune what works and what doesn't...I do hope someday to be able to relocate based solely on Whitetail Opportunity...just gotta get my wife on board for the move from boring NY to exciting Kansas or Iowa...lol.

When you figure out that sales pitch.. by all means please share your technique. = )

Thanks for posting the hunter density map. When in Montana I told a guy where we had hunted in Montana ,he wanted to know why we hunted such a hiqh pressure spot.

Ha ha ha, we had about 2 miles of river bottom and over the 5 days I saw 2 other guys and one was way on top in the alpha field looking down In The bottom about a half mile away.

Another spot by buddy goes to you can see 300 deer a day and no hunters .

My buddy here bought 60 acres, the first opening day he kicked off 17 trespassers ,that's hunting pressure .

Grew up hunting PA my whole life and never realized our laws were different then anywhere else until I moved. It took me two season to understand what an either sex tag was here.(Pa you have a buck and doe tag possibly bonus tags but you can never kill more than one buck) They dealt with the crossbow situation far in advance too. Disabled persons have been allowed to use crossbows for years even before they made them legal for everyone. They also started antler restrictions long ago. I've read that they also trying to create more habitat and re-propagate pheasants.

Hunting presser can have very big effects.  That survey is for rifle, no?

I do believe hunting in NY is harder than many states.  Fair chase rules apply!  That makes it much more rewarding!  And gun season is filled with hunters especially in the southern zone.  Happy I still have a bow tag for LI, just wish I did not have so much to do on Sat or I would be out.

Hunting presser can have very big effects.  That survey is for rifle, no?

I do believe hunting in NY is harder than many states.  Fair chase rules apply!  That makes it much more rewarding!  And gun season is filled with hunters especially in the southern zone.  Happy I still have a bow tag for LI, just wish I did not have so much to do on Sat or I would be out.

If you are referring to the map I posted, its based on total license sales IIRC, so it takes bow and gun hunters into account.