How do other hunters irritate you ?

fasteddie

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for me its the walkers I think they should stay off deer trails were Isit ive had them walk rite under my stand not even noticeing that they are messing up my hunting they should learn to find a spot and sit down they are only pushing game away from them and me

Well, nobody enjoys having a "johnny-come-lately" hunter trudging under your stand, huffing and puffing in a hurry to get to his stand, stinking with sweat right at that prime time when the deer are starting to move. On state land, that does occasionally happen. Every year state-land crowding gets worse and worse, and these sorts of things happen more frequently.

Then too, there are the guys who use your stand or set up next to your stand making the assumption that you have done the scouting for them.

Doc

exactly I just went to were i would be sitting only to find some one had recently found my spot there are butts all over not a good thing to be doing in the woods guess ill have to find new spot

ha..

i had some guy drop his kid off about 40 yards to my right and then gave me a wave hello...

this kid had to be part of the junior hunting program cause he looked real young.... aint his fault his dad is an asshole , or i am assuming it was his dad but could you imagine  this ???? really wtf ?

i was nervous the kid would forget i was there and shoot me..

i made a few  loud cougning noises waved my orange hat in the air and left 5 minutes later..

he got me soo pissed i actually lost my direction in the woods while trying to find a new place to post... took me an hour to find my way back once dark fell.

The walkers dont generally bother me too much, but when guys are leaving the woods or going to their stands and they are talking, laughing, coughing, just being generally noisy, Ill get upset. I dont recall anyone looking at me through their scope, I dont know what I would do if that happened.

• 4 weeks later...

I sure have problems with the guys from the city that own the piece of land in back of my place. They seem to think that hunting is putting drives on with 4x4 to push the deer is hunting. They do this even in the bow season.

The other think is our stupid DEC changed the law to allow a hunter to sign over his doe permit to someone else. So these guys get a lot of guys who live and work on LI and hunt only there to put in for a doe permit for our local area. If they get one they sign over to these guys. They come in with 10+ permits and brown is down. Then they stop and say " heynot a lot of deer  around anymore ".

I guess being a old fart (68) I just like being in the outdoor and no longer just the kill. I let a lot of deer go prior to taking a good buck. Has to be 4 points or more.

I found two dead deer in our stream area, after the snow melted off. Both look like they were gut shot. That means to me poor hunter follow-up and lack of tracking skill.

It's a real shame when neighbors pull that sort of thing because not only are they screwing up their own hunting but it does have a ripple effect on surrounding hunting lands.

As far as using the 4x4 to assist in a hunt, I would think there must be some law being broke there. Perhaps a phone call to the DEC might be in order.

Doc

I can't tolerate firearm hunters that practice "spray and pray" shooting, as opposed to "one shot one kill".  They see a deer but don't wait for a good shot.  They take whatever shot they think they can get, and then unload the gun in a series of half aimed shots until the gun is empty.

I saw one guy take 10 shots this way with a .44 Mag lever action Marlin.  I'm sure he hit the deer too, because there was a blood trail for the first 100 yards or so.  But it was not recovered.

reading these comments i think crap my dad or grampa would have kicked my ass if they heard or saw me doing half these things. What bugs me is the people that ride around on 4whellers hunting hoping to jump up a deer when your in the area trying to hunt. then they say i think i missed or some blood but cant find it. Hello dumb ass heres your sign ur not a safe hunter and try out smarting the deer not riding around shoot my way once and ul have square tires! 

Well ...all of the above

I was hunting behind the house...bow season and about 50ft off the lines...and 300ft from the house and dog kennel/chicken coop...just before dusk here comes this guy on the edge of bordering field ..and talking on his cell really loud...then I hear ya she's in her stand >:( ...Now I know this guy had already gotten a lrg buck a week earlier and he's standing on the property line looking around in my woods...I yell hold up ...climb down and ask what are you doing..now you've ruined my hunt..."looking to put a stand here"...NO are you blind that's my house and livestock...and the law states no shooting within 500ft...I get a call from lessee ...swearing and calling me names...OK

The following spring I decided my chickens needed more room...so I built this...right where we had that little conversation...HHmmm now they have another 500ft they can't legally shoot...and my chickens have a nice new coop and I have a great covered ground blind ;)

I have trouble with other hunters that feel their way is the only way. For example bow hunters that feel muzzleloaders shouldn't have a special season. Or bow hunters that feel their compound bow is fine but nobody should be allowed to hunt with a crossbow. I wish all hunters would just suport each other and mind their own business. You hunt your way and I'll hunt mine.

My "pet peeve" is with hunters who do not respect the land in which they hunt on. As I predominately hunt state land I am disgusted with the mess (trash) some hunters leave behind. I feel like thier mother,having to clean up after them!

i think this is a thread that does nothing for us as hunters, we should have tolerance amongst hunters, and respect the idea that we have differant methods and styles of hunting. i find that hunters are way to critical of each other and often sound like a bunch of britches bickering about the most meaningless things.

as far as state land is concerned i hunt it every year and am seeing less and less hunters. back in the 70s state land was like WW2 Stalingrad, but today with the addition of hundreds of thousands of acres of state land and the reduction of hundreds of thousands of hunters alot of NY state lands are under hunted. probable just what the antis want, once our numbers are small enough a ban on hunting in state lands and parks, don't think it's impossible, we have already seen bans on motor vehicles in certain state parks out west(better have a horse to get that elk out) also no lead bullets in other areas, and hunting bans on certain state lands in NY because of bird nesting??

lets forget about why we hate each other so much and focus on the war right in front of us.....

I was at a locl gun sh op last eening. He finally got i some IMR 4831. I am a happy guy. Anyway this guy comes in with his grandson and a rossi 243 he got for the boy. He wanted a red dot mounted on the gun.  The guy starts yacking as guys do in general. Anyway he says I took that red dot off my 270 last season. I was walking into a field and saw a deer. I could not tell if it had horns so I didnt shoot. He goes on to say I guess I need magnification. well being the guy I am I said yeah that is why I carry binoculars. I looked at the 10 year old and said remember that a scope isused ot magnify a safe target not for target identification. Well this guy gets pissed an dstarts in thta everyone uses scopes to see if a deer has horns. Well then I was winning as he was losing it. I said umm it is antlers another thing yourgrandson should know.  The guy saya are you se sort of instuctor. I said yes I teach th ehunter safety course and have fo rover 25 years. I am having one the end of august please attend and bring your grandson as I think you could both learn from it.  The guy left. I guess my pet peeve is people teaching our young hunters  who will be our replacements the wrong things to do.  I see it a lot at my classes. A kid will say my dad taught me this way or said to do this.  I am far from perfect, but when I teach at a clas or on a one on one, I teach the right way to do things. 

I was at a locl gun sh op last eening. He finally got i some IMR 4831. I am a happy guy. Anyway this guy comes in with his grandson and a rossi 243 he got for the boy. He wanted a red dot mounted on the gun.  The guy starts yacking as guys do in general. Anyway he says I took that red dot off my 270 last season. I was walking into a field and saw a deer. I could not tell if it had horns so I didnt shoot. He goes on to say I guess I need magnification. well being the guy I am I said yeah that is why I carry binoculars. I looked at the 10 year old and said remember that a scope isused ot magnify a safe target not for target identification. Well this guy gets pissed an dstarts in thta everyone uses scopes to see if a deer has horns. Well then I was winning as he was losing it. I said umm it is antlers another thing yourgrandson should know.  The guy saya are you se sort of instuctor. I said yes I teach th ehunter safety course and have fo rover 25 years. I am having one the end of august please attend and bring your grandson as I think you could both learn from it.  The guy left. I guess my pet peeve is people teaching our young hunters  who will be our replacements the wrong things to do.  I see it a lot at my classes. A kid will say my dad taught me this way or said to do this.  I am far from perfect, but when I teach at a clas or on a one on one, I teach the right way to do things.

when i know it's a deer i look at it with my scope and if its what i want i slip the crosshairs to the lungs and thats the end of story, but if i see movement and i'm unsure of the target then i us my bino's, for me there's no need to make uneeded movement when seeing a deer in the woods.

Yeah, there are a few things that irritate me. Like the hunter that was posted within the 500 feet of my house and was so drunk he could hardly maintain his balance. And way more than once I have had hunters come up to me in the woods just to chat a bit (which I love to do). But then they stand their with the gun cradled in the crook of their arm with it waving back and forth across my mid-section or legs. And then there was the guy who rested the muzzle of his shotgun on the toe of his boot and leaned against the stock. These things put me in a bit of a bad position because I feel compelled to briefly come unglued and I react badly when I see such stupidity. It's a shame because I really do like to chat with people just to hear what they have been seeing and even get to know them a bit. And then occasionally some of them do these wacky things.

Another thing that cranks me up is when I see on TV some of these Safari hunters (and guides) who grab the barrel of their gun, lay the stock horizontally over their shoulder and have the muzzle pointed at the back of the head of the guy in front of them. What the heck is that all about?

Yeah, those kinds of things irritate me, or maybe to be more correct, they scare the hell out of me.

Doc

Yeah, there are a few things that irritate me. Like the hunter that was posted within the 500 feet of my house and was so drunk he could hardly maintain his balance. And way more than once I have had hunters come up to me in the woods just to chat a bit (which I love to do). But then they stand their with the gun cradled in the crook of their arm with it waving back and forth across my mid-section or legs. And then there was the guy who rested the muzzle of his shotgun on the toe of his boot and leaned against the stock. These things put me in a bit of a bad position because I feel compelled to briefly come unglued and I react badly when I see such stupidity. It's a shame because I really do like to chat with people just to hear what they have been seeing and even get to know them a bit. And then occasionally some of them do these wacky things.

Another thing that cranks me up is when I see on TV some of these Safari hunters (and guides) who grab the barrel of their gun, lay the stock horizontally over their shoulder and have the muzzle pointed at the back of the head of the guy in front of them. What the heck is that all about?

Yeah, those kinds of things irritate me, or maybe to be more correct, they scare the hell out of me.

Doc

They scare the hell out of me too!

What scares me are hunters who take multiple shots at running dear who are in close proximity to me.

I used to hunt with a group of guys who loaded their guns well before legal shooting light and proceeded to walk in a line through the woods to their individual stands. Not all of them carried flashlights. I made it a point to get in the woods well before them and I never walk in the woods with a loaded weapon before or after legal shooting hours.

The hunter stupidity list is endless. God must be watching over them and their fellow hunters.

Have you ever had another hunter go skulking by your stand right at that perfect time in the afternoon when you expect to see that buck that you have been scouting. They usually come right from the direction that you were figuring the buck would be coming from. Nobody's fault, but it is irritating.  :-\

Doc