Rage 2 blade vs Grim Reaper 3 blade

Guns&ReligionCop

i am actually still using the original 2 blades as we speak with the o-rings. ZERO ISSUES what so ever.... took my 8 point on Halloween, 30 yard shot, heart shot ran 40 yards and piled up in less then 8 seconds.

once i shoot the rest of these heads, ill go buy the new rage hypodermics.

Honestly I have never shot the Grim Reaper but have used the Rages for quite some time and am very satisfied with them. As far as mechanicals go I can't see a reason to change but if I had to I would consider the Swhacker or possibly the Grim Reaper. For fixed, I have done a lot of research and would lean towards the slick tricks. I am planning to go for elk in the next 1-2 years and the slick Trick fixed head seems like a better choice than the mechanical - plus some of the stated don't allow mechanicals for elk.

i personally think this is THE WORST design... i HATE over the top broad heads, what i love about rage is they are rear deploying and cut a massive hole on contact.

heres how shwacker works and i would not want a head like that, JMO...

I'm beginning to think Geno C is spokesmen for rage broadheads because he feels so passionately about how amazing they are. So exactly how far the deer ran is a guess. It may not have been a half mile,I wasn't paying that much attention in the dark but it was several hundred yards and that is a lot further than you should ever have to track with a decent shot. When we finally recover this doe another member on this site new2bow said something along the lines of "I cant believe it went that far with that hit!" I'm noticing a lot of experts chirping in here saying I must have missed the lungs or it was a bad shot. Let me remind you that I found the deer I know exactly where I hit him. I'm not even sure how I missed the heart other then the broadhead was vertical and passed next to it. The heart definitely was intact but both lungs were shredded. Since I switched to expandables a few years ago I've shot 3 bucks and 6 does and a fox with the reapers all with quick kills and amazing results. I believe the longest distance I had one travel was about 80 yards. I have also used just one head for 3 of those kills and another for 2 others. I've shot one doe and I was less than satisfied and the head was destroyed. These are facts of my experience and my opinion.  

Side note a teenager by me missed a doe the other day and in his excitement grabbed an arrow that he had for small game with a field tip and shot the doe. Hit in the heart with a clean shot and piled her up in less than 50 yards. Moral of that story is a accurate shot is better than any broad head.

One last complaints about the rage broad heads. They make a lot of noise. Apparently there is this shock collar that you can buy that helps but I had to put a little tape on them while in my quiver to eliminate that noise

In regards to shooting a deer with a field point, Im pretty sure It's illegal to carry anything but a big game head when hunting deer.

Also g&r cop, geno and I are passionate about the 2 blades from experience... Just the same way you formed your opinion.

I actually documented my experience, but no one who hates rage commented on those pics or stories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

Meat Manager, I'm not sure if having a field point in a quiver is illegal or not while big gaming hunting and even if it is I'm not about to report a kid down the street that gets bored while deer hunting and launchs a few at squirrels. Not a habit I would practice in fear of spooking anything worth while. Thank you for your opinion and respectfully arguing it. The pics were good. Like I have said I have only used rage this one time and was not impressed and haven't been impressed with the quality in the design or the durability. Geno on the other hand drives his point in with a certain the degree of arrogance and sarcasm so anything he says I take with a grain of salt and just assume how great he must be in his own mind.

G&R cop...I can tell you with certainty that in Pennsylvania it is absolutely illegal to have a non-big game head in the quiver...and that is in a state with crossbow wide open during archery.

It is unlawful to hunt deer in ny with a field point, and intended or not that harvest was unlawful. The unintended aspect of the story is exactly why it is atleast unethical if not unlawful to carry a field point or judo while deer hunting.

As far as the broad head debate I can only give an informed positive review of the rage, having never used the reapers. I feel you may accuse others of the type of hyperbole I pick up from your posts on the matter.

Edited by Meat Manager

Not illegal to carry a FP while deer hunting.

This thread reminds me of an info-mercial.

Any source on that info...like I said its unethical at the least for exactly the reason g&r used as an excuse, you could load it in error, then you are definitely illegal.

Oh for christ sake look it up yourself before claiming it is a law. Not that hard. It has been covered on this site even.

Than link it...not found a single official source beyond what is a legal head for big game...like I said PGC is clear on it...not legal.

Like I said, the second you nock it for deer, intentional or not you are illegal.

Edited by Meat Manager

So you are asking for a written law that says something is LEGAL?  NY doesn't have suck a regulation against it and if you don't feel you can keep it straight it may be unethical for you. If someone has more onthe ball it is probably fine for them. You can turkey hunt with a bow and that head construction is different. You can even carry a .22 pistol while deer hunting with a rifle or shotgun so you could shoot small game if you wish. But I wouldn't suggest that to you either since in the excitement you may goof up and shooot the deer with the 22.

• Like 2

I know I'm personally into double digit kills with the GR, somewhere around 12-14. All but two have dropped in sight and the those two I heard crash.

I would think over the top wouldn't be super effective, but GRs are. The razor tips have the chisel point with small bleeders that open the hide to allow the main cutting blades to swing open, and I think this is critical to making the head work better than other traditional over the top designs.

I have killed a few (6-8) with Rage and they were blood baths, but were the prototypical broadside zipped through nice and low. I've also had some lesser quality shots where I felt penetration was less that what I expected on a few of those kills. I haven't had that on the GR, even with the lesser quality shots, and had great blood trails even though I really haven't had to track much. I used to think their slogan was stupid and I was very sleptic about shooting them. After having enough deer down to formulate an opinion of them, I understand why they have that slogan.

In the end, all you can do is try out your gear and have confidence in it.

So you are asking for a written law that says something is LEGAL? NY doesn't have suck a regulation against it and if you don't feel you can keep it straight it may be unethical for you. If someone has more onthe ball it is probably fine for them. You can turkey hunt with a bow and that head construction is different. You can even carry a .22 pistol while deer hunting with a rifle or shotgun so you could shoot small game if you wish. But I wouldn't suggest that to you either since in the excitement you may goof up and shooot the deer with the 22.

Can you carry lead shot when hunting migratories. Can you shoot squirrels with your rifle/slug gun during deer. I'm asking?

I'm not the one shooting a deer in the heart with a field point by accident. I guess concurrent either sex deer turkey coyote and pigs doesn't provide enough opportunities to shoot.

Edited by Meat Manager

I'm looking everywhere, please point me to any link.

Do we agree you can't hunt a deer with one?

Talk about minutia.

If someone wants one in their quiver for small game or to stump shoot/practice shot, I see nothing wrong with it. I am fairly confident it's legal to do in NY. You can't hunt deer with one, but you get into minutia when you swap out a BH for  FP when the squirrel stops for a shot from your treestand. At what point are you squirrel hunting? You can kill small game with a  FP.

No real point in even conversing about it any more...the kid made a mistake. I don't think it was unethical. If it was illegal, so be it. I don't think anyone other than you thinks a mistake like that is beneath them.

Edited by phade

My point was a cop(?) doesn't care about the minutia known as the regulations. Btw he's had a double lung go a thousand yards.

I'm just trying to find out if it is or isn't legal...call me anal, I like to know the rules. Therefore I'll contact the dec and get the answer.

I make lots of mistakes (like posting on this site) and have missed and wounded animals...not at all perfect.

Edited by Meat Manager

I don't understand why someone would dislike a broadhead that is mangled after shooting a deer. IMO every mechanical broadhead is a one use type of deal. The blades are freestanding so they have little support to keep them from bending or breaking, not to mention bone vs. blade at high speeds is quite the collision; derformation of the broadhead should be expected. I have shot two deer with a RAGE 2 blade and both times the broadheads were pretty beat up upon recovery, but this was AFTER they left gaping holes and did their job's.

• Like 1

My point was a cop(?) doesn't care about the minutia known as the regulations.

I'm just trying to find out if it is or isn't legal...call me anal, I like to know the rules.

I make lots of mistakes and have missed and wounded animals...not at all perfect.

Prove to me a cop can tell when someone starts hunting squirrels and stops hunting deer.

I can say I stopped hunting deer when I loaded a FP on my bow in the treestand, and you can't say or prove otherwise. Squirrel season is open, a FP is legal for squirrel. Now, if I drew or shot a deer with one, sure that's illegal, but again, the kid is a freaking kid and made a mistake. In the grand scheme of things, people spending time worrying about that scenario need to find more productive things with their time. A kid getting nervous with a deer in front of them is a good thing...so he grabbed the wrong arrow. Big deal. I'm sure he'll have learned a valuable lesson by the experience. Don't try to say that you are attempting to find legality...you lobbed out the ethics word. The kid wasn't being unethical. That's pretty high and mighty to take that view imo.

Prove to me a cop can tell when someone starts hunting squirrels and stops hunting deer.

I can say I stopped hunting deer when I loaded a FP on my bow in the treestand, and you can't say or prove otherwise. Squirrel season is open, a FP is legal for squirrel. Now, if I drew or shot a deer with one, sure that's illegal, but again, the kid is a freaking kid and made a mistake. In the grand scheme of things, people spending time worrying about that scenario need to find more productive things with their time. A kid getting nervous with a deer in front of them is a good thing...so he grabbed the wrong arrow. Big deal. I'm sure he'll have learned a valuable lesson by the experience. Don't try to say that you are attempting to find legality...you lobbed out the ethics word. The kid wasn't being unethical. That's pretty high and mighty to take that view imo.

Oh I'm not backing down on that I still think it's unethical even if it's not illegal for exactly the scenario that was laid out:

If anyone accidentally grabbed the arrow when in the midst of deer fever and shot a deer with the Fieldpoint there's a very low probability you will harvest that animal.

Anyone could make that mistake.

Edited by Meat Manager

Can you carry lead shot when hunting migratories. Can you shoot squirrels with your rifle/slug gun during deer. I'm asking?

NO and NO. and there are specific regulation stating those. If the law is silent it does not make it a law.

If it is bothering you so much just drop your DEC Region office an email. They will clear it up for you.