Early Season ML Camp - Open Invite

ridgerunner88

Due to some various injuries and surgeries, a few of my hunting buddies are unable to make it out to our planned hunting trip up in the southern ADX the opening weekend of ML (Oct 14-17). I Wanted to throw out an open invite to the group, if anyone wants to join myself and my buddy for a weekend of camping/hunting. 

If interested let me know and we can coordinate through text/email. 

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, ridgerunner88 said:

Due to some various injuries and surgeries, a few of my hunting buddies are unable to make it out to our planned hunting trip up in the southern ADX the opening weekend of ML (Oct 14-17). I Wanted to throw out an open invite to the group, if anyone wants to join myself and my buddy for a weekend of camping/hunting. 

If interested let me know and we can coordinate through text/email. 

I’ll be up on the NW corner, on the wmu 6c/6f border.  6f is open again for does this year, same as it was last year, for the first time in many years.  There’s about 6.5 million acres of park between us, so I shouldn’t spook any down your way.  

Someday, I’d like to kill a deer from a tent camp, but it’s tough to give up the accommodations at my in-laws place.  My mother in law’s cooking is phenomenal, and my father in law loves hauling the deer carcasses out for me.   They are also depending on me to help get their place ready for winter.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Great offer, wish I could. But best of luck to your ailing friends, hope all is ok. Keep us updated on how the hunt goes!

I used to spend a whole lot of time in the southern dacks myself. Never saw a lot of deer but always had a good time. You might run into a bear too!

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Good man very nice gesture.  For what its worth I'm very close to you and I have great luck that time of year. 
How far are you from Remsen? Doubt I will make it but a couple of members are right in that area.

We are going to be up near Stewarts Landing near Canada Lake. Not too far from Remsen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/19/2022 at 6:01 PM, ridgerunner88 said:

We are going to be up near Stewarts Landing near Canada Lake. Not too far from Remsen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you hunted that area before ?

My first contact with some Adirondack deer, happened about 35 years ago, not too far to the East of there.  

We hunted from Galusha’s  camp, on Lewey lake, just a little south of Indian lake.  We were mostly after bear, and one was killed out of that camp on our first year up there.  I think the camp is now operated by the original owner’s daughter and her husband.  

Her brother, who was around 15 years old when we were up there, told us a story about his father killing a bear at very short range with bird shot, while he was small game hunting on the other side of the lake.  

The first year up there, I had a topo map and a compass and I hunted far from the camp and the highway every day.  I saw no signs at all of deer or bear in the deep woods.  I did note a little deer hair on a barbed wire fence, around a little horse pasture, across the highway from the camp.  

The following year, I noted that there was a thick, brushy area right along the highway, next to that pasture.  One morning, when the wind was right, I walked into that brush with my scoped and loaded 30/06.   I hadn’t gone 50 yards, when two tails went up and ran directly away from me, and a third ran off to my left.  

I settled my crosshairs on the two in front.  Neither had antlers and I only had a buck tag.  The one out in front was clearly a big mature doe.  After flushing them, I crossed over the tracks that they left in the soft ground.  The one that went to the left had significantly larger tracks than those from the big doe, and they spread out a bit in the front.

My guess is, that it was a buck, and a good sized one at that.  I probably could have got some lead into him, if my focus had not been on the two “straight-aways”.

The lesson I learned there, was that you need to find the preferred food, to find the deer.  There is very little of that in the mature surrounding forests, that have not been logged in over a century.  The grass on the highway shoulders, and particularly that horse pasture, were gold-mines.  

There was a former member here, by the name of buckmaster 760, who has taken quite a number of big bucks around that area, all but one by tracking in the snow.  He got at least one without any snow, and that was quite a story.  He riddled the monster with his pump gun, but it still made it into a swamp and was a very tough drag, due to it’s heft.  

My own estimate, is that it is at least 10 times harder to kill a buck up there, when there is not snow on the ground.  Snow makes it a lot easier to see them, but more importantly, it tells you exactly where they have been, and leads a trail right to them.  

Your odds of snow are slim now with global warming, in early ML week.  Buckmaster proved you don’t need it. I have blown two chances myself, counting the one described above, and an even worse one two falls ago (up on the NW corner of the park on opening day of gun).  I’d have had that one for sure, were it not for my damn smartphone.  Leave that in your pocket while hunting. That buck was within 15 yards of me. 

I will be up there trying again this year.  I did manage to kill two bucks up there in the snow, in the years between the two snowless blown chances.  

The best way, to up your odds of killing a deer up there without snow, is to do it in early ML week when doe are now legal again.  I have managed that (3) times, including last season.  That is simply a numbers game.  I see about 6 times as many antlerless deer up there, as I see with antlers.   Good luck to you.

Edited by wolc123