Why do this to a gun?

Leather wraps are popular on “ western “ style guns ie lever actions in some circles  . Some like the look, the spare ammo, the wood is somewhat protected . My first BB gun , a lever action came with a leather strap hanging off a ring idk leather and lever actions seem to go way back .

I’d never use rivets on that gun in the picture though .

I put a neoprene one on my daughters 7m08 , came with inserts for a proper cheek-weld height , it’s warm against your skin , and I keep extra batteries for her red dot under it .

i have this on my truck shotguns stock …

9D2B0B09-9E02-4CC5-98F2-49D2965AF388.png

Edited by Nomad

2 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

it'd be probably fine if you could remove it, otherwise it seems like a horrible idea to me.

Most are, and hand tooled ones can run hundreds of dollars . I find it great to have ammo right on my rifle just makes sense , instead of a bunch of loose ammo in pockets .

These are not at all unusual fellas , pimp my rifle !

DD36855E-9AB8-4EFD-BC87-AB616B87C963.png

96522791-93F6-4E1C-A450-22D6B25C6F69.png

• Like 3

I dont believe the rivets go through the stock . If they did , that would be one of the dumbest things you can do to a gun.

Like Tacks mentioned , rain would ruin that stock having a soaked leather cover over it. If you look closely at the 1st pic , you can see why the shop said he cant take it off . There is a small eyelet screwed into the stock on the bottom where it is laced , and the lace runs through it to holds the leather in place. The lace is then somehow fused together at the end of the wide side of the leather.  Thats why he cant slide it forward to remove it without cutting the lace .  Worthless idea in my opinion . 

Edited by SportsmanNH

53 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Most are, and hand tooled ones can run hundreds of dollars . I find it great to have ammo right on my rifle just makes sense , instead of a bunch of loose ammo in pockets .

These are not at all unusual fellas , pimp my rifle !

DD36855E-9AB8-4EFD-BC87-AB616B87C963.png

96522791-93F6-4E1C-A450-22D6B25C6F69.png

Sure, but tacked to the stock and cant be removed? Hard pass

• Like 1

I use those on several of my rifles especially single shots, the cloth and neoprene type go on and off the stock easily. The leather ones are laced to the stock and would be a pain in the ass to take on and off. The rivets do not go all the way through and are not into the stock.

Nomad is right the fancy leather ones can be big bucks.

I have a leather one on my Marlin 94 357 pictured below, I like it for carrying ammo and I like the look of something just a bit different.

Al

2022-09-20_123956.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, left field said:

These are riveted in and the guy doesn't want to remove them to show the stock and damage. It's a pass from me. 

Honest, although there is some quilting going on at the butt; that flat sawn grain peaking out at the wrist end ain’t nothing all that special on the cheek side. That might be Marlins idea of nice wood, but its just so-so. And then I’d want to see the rest of it butt to fore end anyway.

Edited by Dinsdale