I'm crazy

fadetoblack188

There is no way anyone goes out 100% scent free.  It's impossible.   Then your crunching leaves on the way in.  Cracking your knuckles while sitting.   Playing with your phone.  Zippering your back pack.   Rubbing your pants again the seat.  Your jacket making noise against the tree.   It's impossible to be quiet.

This is a game a luck, and hopefully the orange army pushes something your way.

• Like 3

Like geno said .. Wind wind wind ... Went out this past week not having time to wash my outers n had the wind blowin in my face over the creek behind me ... Had a small buck tight on a doe at 30 yards for 20 min or so... Was finally able to get a

good shot on the doe .... But I feel your pain ... I've switched to scent free detergent in my washer year round n then use sport wash during season ..

My husband doesn't do ANYTHING to remain scent free....no scent free showers, no scent

free clothes, nothing! and then every year he shoots not only a doe but also a good

buck off the ground with his bow. I don't know how he gets away with it although I

think he may have a horseshoe up his ass.

• Like 2

My husband doesn't do ANYTHING to remain scent free....no scent free showers, no scent

free clothes, nothing! and then every year he shoots not only a doe but also a good

buck off the ground with his bow. I don't know how he gets away with it although I

think he may have a horseshoe up his ass.

He has what I'd call common sense.

• Like 1

I love it when people talk about deer being downwind of them like their scent regiment has helped fool a whitetail's nose.

Some deer will come downwind of you regardless of your stink and a lot of that has to do with location, familiarity, and disposition.

But by far, the majority of deer downwind of hunters are not because of personal scent regiments (although I practice it to a "middle of the road" degree). It's simply because their nose is not catching the stink. Just because a deer is downwind means nothing as to whether one's scent stream is flowing that way. Scent isn't a line - it can be like a cone at times, but most times, it's like a flowing river winding around trees and over brush and the thermal impact can do things most hunters never realize. There's a reason bucks use the thermal tunnel to travel in hill country and enter fields via low spots in the evening in ag country.

I think scent regiment comes into play more with ground scent left behind and getting rid of skin cells that would otherwise slough off during the act of walking to and from stand. It also helps with confidence - whatever your belief, do what instills the confidence.

• Like 4

I love it when people talk about deer being downwind of them like their scent regiment has helped fool a whitetail's nose.

Some deer will come downwind of you regardless of your stink and a lot of that has to do with location, familiarity, and disposition.

But by far, the majority of deer downwind of hunters are not because of personal scent regiments (although I practice it to a "middle of the road" degree). It's simply because their nose is not catching the stink. Just because a deer is downwind means nothing as to whether one's scent stream is flowing that way. Scent isn't a line - it can be like a cone at times, but most times, it's like a flowing river winding around trees and over brush and the thermal impact can do things most hunters never realize. There's a reason bucks use the thermal tunnel to travel in hill country and enter fields via low spots in the evening in ag country.

I think scent regiment comes into play more with ground scent left behind and getting rid of skin cells that would otherwise slough off during the act of walking to and from stand. It also helps with confidence - whatever your belief, do what instills the confidence.

Key word, some deer will come down wind even if u don't take scent control serious. Not a big mature buck and yes taking scent control serious will have more deer coming down wind.

It's funny how the guys who don't take scent control serious or do any of it always try and give a wise a** remark about those who do as if anyone would be crazy to try hard and be scent free. I'll tell you, it's the same damn people always talking to same garbage about scent control, playing the wind and so on. Do you really care of guys use scent products or not?

Enough of the BS, if guus don't do what you do, who cares! Gus will find what works best for them not what works for you. And I'm not singleling you out, there are 3 others that do it in evey thread they comment in and it's getting old.

I suppose it's all personal preference, but for me, I know with 100% certainty that the extents I go to regarding scent control work. It's not just a confidence thing, it's physical results. I know this because I've really watched the results change based on different measures of scent control and it's very consistent. 

There is a healthy population of deer near where I hunt and no way you are going to keep all the animals up wind. And there's a huge advantage of downwind deer just continuing on their way unalarmed as compared to stomping or snorting or hanging up as they detect you. I'd be embarrassed to list the things I do to lessen my scent but like I say it's changed results without a doubt. 

Tinker and do whatever works for you and helps you accomplish your goals as a hunter. 

Key word, some deer will come down wind even if u don't take scent control serious. Not a big mature buck and yes taking scent control serious will have more deer coming down wind.

It's funny how the guys who don't take scent control serious or do any of it always try and give a wise a** remark about those who do as if anyone would be crazy to try hard and be scent free. I'll tell you, it's the same damn people always talking to same garbage about scent control, playing the wind and so on. Do you really care of guys use scent products or not?

Enough of the BS, if guus don't do what you do, who cares! Gus will find what works best for them not what works for you. And I'm not singleling you out, there are 3 others that do it in evey thread they comment in and it's getting old.

Mature Buck - dead down wind - eye level at 20 yards (hunting hill). November 2 about 9ish a.m. 

He not only did this to me, but another in our hunting party a week later.

post-575-0-12432300-1384434336_thumb.jpg

Mature Buck - dead down wind - eye level at 20 yards (hunting hill). November 2 about 9ish a.m.

He not only did this to me, but another in our hunting party a week later.

Did he come in and give you a shot or stand there smelling your oh so lovely human scent and walk off? Did ya kill him?

Did he come in and give you a shot or stand there smelling your oh so lovely human scent and walk off? Did ya kill him?

I could have reached out of the stand and stabbed him or swung a bag of pennies on his head if I had a tag. If you look at the screenshot, it is a still of a video of about 5 minutes of him.

Here's another buck that swung around me that morning and ended up downwind He was about 7 yds at this point.

post-575-0-11277300-1384435086_thumb.jpg

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

I shower before I hunt with the usual hunting soaps, I use scentlok base layers as well as scentlok camo. Keep my hunting clothes in a big rubbermade container and spray down when I get dressed. I will say I have seen an improvement on how long a deer downwind of me will hang while trying to figure out whats up. I think thats the real benefit, that a buck might give you a few extra moments to get a shot off instead of taking off like a bat out of hell like the old days. I have had deer downwind never know i was there, and I have had them smell me right away, but they do get closer than before.

One thing not mentioned here ! you can go thru all the usual scent free ritual, but you need cover your mouth with a scent blocker material. Your mouth is where a lot of scent comes from.

I'm not talking about deer coming in to say hello as in come in on your down wind side, stand there and keep it moving. I'm talking come in down wind and continue to literally walk to you and right past you with his nose in the wind and act completly calm. I have and I know if I didn't descent, that never would have played out like that. It you don't descent to the degree as others that's cool. If you did you don't know how your hunts would play out... Wouldn't hurt right?