The drought ends!

gundeck

I have been hunting since I was a kid, but I have only been seriously bowhunting for a couple of years.  I have gradually been working into things and this is my first year hunting from a treestand.  (I have used blinds previously and seen plenty of deer.)  I had not yet taken a deer with my bow.

Sunday morning, my son and I went out to our two-seater stand, sprayed a little buck lure on our mock scrape, and settled in for the morning.  (He is twelve, but likes to come along as a spectator.)  It was a quiet morning with a few doe milling about early.  About an hour after daylight, what I thought was a large doe (turned out to be a button buck) walked right out to our scrape.  At about seven yards from the stand and fully broadside, it was an easy shot.  The deer acted like it hadn't even been hit.  He walked about thirty yards, laid down and expired.

Now, here is where it gets a little strange.  We have a four-point buck that frequents the area around our stand.  We have named him Teddy2 (after our little ADD afflicted Jack Russell puppy) because he seems to have no clue what he is doing.  Teddy2 wanders out about a half hour later and starts trying to pick a fight with our now expired button buck.  This goes one for about five minutes before he wanders off confused.

After letting the deer sit for about an hour, we drag him back to the house.  (I hunt about a hundred yards from my house.)  Later in the afternoon, I decided I would go back out (solo this time).  I went to the same stand and settled in.  About 5 PM, I see two turkeys come out of the field behind me (about fifty yards away), followed by two doe.  About five minutes later, Teddy2 follows the doe out of the field and they all loop around to a bedding area off to my left.

As they disappear and my heart settles down again, I hear a noise behind me to the left (the other side of the field).  I look down to see an eight-point buck coming in on the same path as the button buck in the morning.  He stopped at the same spot and I took the same exact shot I had taken in the morning.  (My arrow stuck about two feet from the one I shot in the morning.)  The buck jumped and kicked, but didn't run.  He quickly walked to where the first deer had died.  He made a couple of circles and then laid down within ten feet of where the first expired.

Not fifteen minutes later, Teddy2 walks out and tries to pick a fight with the new harvest.  This one he actually pushed around on the ground a bit.  Needless to say, he walked away even more confused than before.

After a couple of years of frustration, I get my first two kills in the same day!  I don't know who was more excited, me or my son.  Needless to say, it has been an awesome season so far!

post-1392-131455366322_thumb.jpg

Actually, I got him Sunday evening.  By the time I let him sit (to ensure he was dead) and we got him in to the house, it was dark.  We skinned him and hung him.  I didn't take the pics until the next day, so he is already caped (it is just the head and the hide in the pic).