Got him

Yotehntr

Saturday morning I sat 50 yards in from my bow stand I had seen many bucks from, but couldn't get shots at because of the pine and spruce bows.  I sat along an old logging road with the pines to mt left, swamp to my right and hardwoods at the end of the road.  6:30 I hear a deer running on top of the ridge to my left and I look to see a doe being chased by a grunting buck.  The buck was small and through the scope I couldn't see any large antlers silhouetted against the horizon.  He chased her down behind me and back up on the same trail about 40 yards away.  7 am I hear another sound on the same trail that the buck chased the doe and see a very nice 8 pointer.  At this time I contemplate taking the shot but it is 7 on opening day.  I just watch through the scope as he follows the same trail down behind me but does not return.  I sit back the way I was originally facing down the old road and get myself situated again when I see what looked like a deer's tail flick in the hardwoods.  Pick up my scope and sure enough it is a deer and it has a RACK!  I put my scope up to 5 so that I can see better and the deer that was facing down hill to the swamp turns and goes uphill now behind all the pines and spruce.  I take my head away fromt he scope thinking man he's gone when i see him come back into view.  I look again at him and his rack and decide I'm gonna take him.  he is now positioned facing down the hill again and the sweet spot is centered between 2 trees.  I put the crosshairs right behind the front shoulder and squeeze while talking to myself to keep calm.  Crack!  My baby my Winchester mod 70 in .270 barked.  The deer humped and ran.  I waited for a few minutes texted the wife to tell her I just shot and got up to look.  When I got to the spot where I thought he was I saw no blood, but hoof marks where it looked like a deer ran.  I followed them for a bit and thought I better go back to the top and check again.  20 yards further than where I thought he was I found blood, followed it for 10 yards and looked ahead there he was.  perfect heat shot he did the dead deer run for about 30 yards.  This was the 10pt that I had on my game camera and that I have on my work computer desktop so he has been teasing me for the last month looking at me.  10pt 15.5" inside spread and 156 dressed weight 140 yard shot .270 150gr winchester powerpoints.

post-1885-0-39842900-1384785453_thumb.jppost-1885-0-54163300-1384785488_thumb.jppost-1885-0-01774300-1384785523_thumb.jp

• Like 5