New hunters on property

blackradio

I made a thread over a month ago about getting permission on a 250acre property near my house. I also made a thread about kicking off a trespasser who was a cop.

Last Friday, the day before opening day, i got a voicemail from a guy who says he and 3 family members also got permission to hunt the property. I called him back and he said he hunted there for 20 years up until a few year ago when the new owner bought it. He tracked down the landowner and asked he if could enter the property to get a ladder stand that they left a few years back (this is true, I have seen the stand.) 

They get to talking and he tells the landowner that they hunted there for years and asks if they can hunt, he says sure and says that 1 other guy hunts there (me) and he gave him my number.

I was bummed out a bit we agreed that we would try to keep all the trespassers out together.

He was very respectful and said they will stay away from me and that they don't want to mess with my hunting. He said he'd offer help dragging or whatever else I needed. He also said that he will probably only hunt opening weekend and that's it. 

I called him opening night and he said he saw some small bucks but is only after the big ones and we made plans for the next morning as not to interfere with eachother. I'm wondering how often I'll see them.

So, it sucks that more hunters are here but it happens and at least they are respectful and aren't brown and downers or so it seems.

I did question what they were doing there for hours the night before opening day hah.

I lost my hunting property to a-holes who had no respect for the fact that we'd been hunting that property for years. We told them they were encroaching on stands we'd used for a long time (one guy was literally 20 yards from where I stood)  they couldn't care less.  I think I'd be awfully thankful that you at least have respectful people and have a place to go without worrying too much about getting shot.

I have a small plot of land that I bin hunting geese on for 10 years by my self last year he gave someone else permission to hunt on it I was bummed but we talked and became friends we now hunt together it could work out for you good luck to everyone this season hope to see some nice pictures and may be run into some of you at FINS TO FEATHERS TAXADERMY

papabear

another small group of ethical hunters isn't such a bad thing. they help patrol and you can share stories. Interesting that he's only after the big boys but would only hunt opening weekend. Most "opening day" hunters I know are just trying to fill their freezer. Little fishy...

I thought the same. I figured guys who are asking permission the night before are going to shoot anything and everything but he said he passed on a spike and a 6 so that made me happy.