DEC stopped in my camp on opening day...

First-light

We took 4 deer before 10:00. Two doe ,button buck and a buck with broken rack. This buck had only one side and was very close to 3 inche s. told my buddy we would measure back at camp and put th correct tag on it. 3 deer tagged 1 wasn't being transported in a wagon being towed by a quad. We get back and pop two cold ones, measure the antler which was 2.75 inches and we fill out the doe tag. I have a big hanging pole and some big pines next to it. I park the quad behind the pines. We are just bout to put the tag on the deer and a dec pickup rolls in. Officer gets out and asks if we had ny luck which I say we were just about to hang 4 up. He come over to check them, looks at each deer and tag. Looks at te buck and asks where the tag was. It was in my buddies hand and he said it belonged on the deer. I told him we needed to measure the antler first before taging. He told us that needed to be done in the woods and we should of been better prepared. He told us the fine was 350 bucks. He sees the two beers on the quad and says you guys hunting anymore today? I look at him and understand what he was getting at, and replyed absolutely not. He then says put the tag on the buck and ill let the fine slide. He was a nice guy who gve us. Break. Do it by the book out there!

Edited by First-light

FYI

"You do not need to attach the tag to the carcass while it is being dragged or physically carried from the place of kill to a camp or point where transportation is available."

FYI,  it needs to be filled out IMMEDIATELY after taking the deer.....not after transporting it back to camp to figure out what tag goes on it.

• Like 1

FYI

"You do not need to attach the tag to the carcass while it is being dragged or physically carried from the place of kill to a camp or point where transportation is available."

I never attach the tag till its back at camp.

Just had this conversation with a ECO...Tag needs to be filled in the moment you find deer on the ground...the tag does not need to be on the deer if you are transporting strictly through your land...BUT...if you but it on a quad....or in a tractor bucket(reason I asked) and have to go to camp/home by way of any public road...even the one your land borders...the tag has to be attached to the deer

I learned in my 1st hunters ed course that you need to attach the tag immediately. Then in my bow course, the instructor noted that he does it after dragging, and it doesn't need to be attached until the deer leaves the ground. Thanks to you guys I just learned that it has to be FILLED out at the time of recovery. I didn't know about that, I used to drag it to the truck, fill it out there and attach then throw it in the back.

Tagging

Here's what you must do immediately upon killing a deer or bear:

1. Fill in all information on the carcass tag and report tag with ink that won't erase.

Detach the carcass tag from the report tag. Once filled in, the tag may not be altered.

Keep the report tag, you will need it when you report your deer or bear.

The month and date must also be cut or marked in ink on the margin of the carcass tag.

You do not need to attach the tag to the carcass while it is being dragged or physically carried from the place of kill to a camp or point where transportation is available.

Once you get to the camp or vehicle, attach the tag to the deer or bear immediately.

Keep the tag attached to the carcass until it is cut up and prepared for consumption.

I too used to drag the deer out and fill the tag out at the truck, where I would keep my pen, that was up until a few seasons ago when I had shot a small basket rack buck opening day on state land and dragged it to the truck and began filling out the tag.  A DEC officer pulled up and told me that it needed to be filled out upon retrieval of the deer in the woods and didn't need to be attached until back at the truck or at camp.  He just told me from now on to fill it out in the woods and just throw it back in my wallet till I got out.  Because of this I now carry a pen that I cut down so that it fits in the pocket of my wallet that I carry my tags in.

Man you guys were shooting anything and everything huh?! :bye:

I have yet to score my first deer smart guy xD .  I have let 2 button bucks and 3spikes go as I was in AR areas so I didnt shoot them, although i had a DMP tag.  I am simply asking a question to try and fully understand the laws.  Jeez, everyone is a general on these forums

I can never understand how there can be so much confusion regarding things like when and how to tag deer, what type and capacity of handgun is legal, when to report your kill etc.  All these things and more are spelled out in black and white right in the syllabus. 

So many people can post from their smartphone pictures and details from their treestand and such, but can't pop on the DEC website to make sure they're tagging their deer correctly?

• Like 2