Where are the Deer?

Renegade

Good thread here. A couple questions for a newbie hunter if you don't mind.

1) What does "bumper hard and soft mass" mean?

2) button buck? Does this mean the buck has just small knobs on it's head which are the beginning of antlers but is shot as it looks like a doe due to the lack of the antlers?

3) Don't want to hijack the thread but if someone wouldn't mind PMing me or a brief post if you have an annswer.  Should I be hunting the fields or woods right now.  I'm doing buck and doe bleets when I"m sitting, is it too early for this and am I just scaring the deer off? Thanks.

I hunted public land in Wyoming county (first deer hunt ever) and saw a buck and doe (unsafe shot on buck and passed on doe) on opening day in the field and nothing since. It's been very windy up there and on opening day heard about 80 shots and saw tons of orange. Yesterday and today only 5-7 shots and a handful of hunters. I've seen deer in the fields driving in in the middle of the night, but nothing in on "huntable" land during legal hours. My one friend says it's the wind that is the cause for few deer sightings. I spoke with two other hunters yesterday who also stated they saw nothing move all day. I'm pissed up passed on the doe and didn't take the shot on the buck. Oh well.

1) very heavy crop of apples, fox grapes, acorns, beech and walnuts.

2) yes...it is a legal antler-less harvest, but most avoid if possible

3) I have resisted hunting fields all season (oct 1st - present) because of number 1. Deer dont need that food source yet so if they are visiting it is usually after shooting hours.

Best bet is woods between bedding thickets and food sources...unfortunately overgrown apple orchards make excellent bedding areas when covered with multiflora rose. Meaning they eat where they sleep.

Edited by Meat Manager

A guy who has permission to hunt our woods rolled up on opening day grinning ear to ear. Said he had 7 permits. I was like ,"wtf!? " He had his wife and daughter sign over their tags. We only have a modest plot of woods. He won't be back incidentally.Privileges revoked.

legally only 2 dmp's may be transferred for a total of 4 dmp's per hunter.

That said with 2 bow, 1 reg and 4 dmp's I have 7 tags and have filled 5 ethically and legally.

Edited by Meat Manager

2 with bow???...where do you hunt?...because mine is a either or tag and then any DMP I have at the time.....if it were camp it would be  1-1...here at home it is 1-2 ...if I choose not to go for a camp DMP.....then the regular season 1 buck with what ever extra DMP's I got Nov1,  and any DMPs I didn't use during bow...this is not including sign overs....

2 with bow???...where do you hunt?...because mine is a either or tag and then any DMP I have at the time.....if it were camp it would be 1-1...here at home it is 1-2 ...if I choose not to go for a camp DMP.....then the regular season 1 buck with what ever extra DMP's I got Nov1, and any DMPs I didn't use during bow...this is not including sign overs....

7j 7f and im including my buck tags in the total:

1 either sex archery/ml, 1 antler-less archery/ml, 1 reg season, 2 dmp's, 2 transferred dmp's = 7.

I've harvested 4 antler-less and 1 buck...only the 1 doe in gun so I still have a reg and a dmp. Reg tag becomes either sex in late season btw.

Edited by Meat Manager

Insurance companies play a big part with the state to reduce the deer  pop. 

I respectfully disagree.  I've been in the insurance industry for 20+ years and have never heard that from any company Pres. or CEO.  The deer population continues to rise in agricultural areas due to food supply and the fact they are pushed out from areas that are being developed.  Also, those animals are very adaptable, I have seen road kill on Rt. 81 just north of Syracuse by the baseball stadium & Destiny USA.  While they may have moved from traditional bedding areas, etc...they are still there and plentiful around NY.

• Like 1