Red dot on scope for hunting good idea bad idea Thoughts

phantom

Not feeling it.  I've shot deer with my 4.5x14 as close as the bottom of my ladder stand to 300yrds.  Not big on running shots.  I could see still hunting really think areas where your shot is under 50 yards.  

I'd say 80% of my rifle deer were in the red dot range, but 3 of my biggest bucks would have been difficult with a red dot and 1 about impossible. 

• Like 1

Put one on my daughters rifle after she got “ scoped “ , and was done with using a scope . She shoots bow range plus a bit so,it’s not an issue for her . 

Years back I knew a couple guys who,used them on their shotguns , they were successful hunters , but shotgun range back then was limited as well .

• Like 1

About 12 lbs of way too much of everything but the kitchen sink, to each their own but personally for a Deer rifle I prefer nothing with batteries, a lower powered scope along with a light weight and fast handling rifle.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, airedale said:

About 12 lbs of way too much of everything but the kitchen sink, to each their own but personally for a Deer rifle I prefer nothing with batteries, a lower powered scope along with a light weight and fast handling rifle.

Al

Yep true thats why i went and got very  light  reflex site for it  Weights  nothing 63 grams.  My favorite hunting  rifle i like to use has the lowest  Magnification   6.5 x20 50mm . Makes it really hard to take close fast shot with that  And with ammo being scarce and pricey these days I don't want to switch guns . I just wanted something  That's useful for pretty much every hunting  scenario I can think of.  From  still hunting  to tracking in the snow  to hunting a open area . Think its going to work out will see whats happens . 

Screenshot_20220922_192036.jpg

39 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

oh my, thats different

be interesting how that shoots with head off the stock 

hope its not a hard kicker

Have not had chance to shoot it yet with the red dot on but i have a big enough head that part of my face still makes  contact with stock  Recoil on that guns around 15 foot-pounds.  If i get scoped i will send you pictures lol  its got a good recoil pad on it so i dont notice the kick much on that gun .

• 4 weeks later...

They are best used in tight quarters, or shooting moving animals at closer ranges. Like in predator hunting during the day, or driving deer, or what have you. Certainly has its place. Depending on your hunting style. My wife is using a red dot on one of our ARs cause she cant pull a scope up and get comfortable with it, The AR 223 for the low recoil.. Mainly bc she doesn't shoot enough.. so we accomodate her needs..   great on an AR platform as well where your follow up round is quick behind 

Edited by LET EM GROW