Election Day Buck!

outdoorstom

I got pictures of this guy all summer as he ate beans in my fields. This morning I got in the stand at 6:15, and bumped a couple deer doing it. They didn't blow, just took off running through the woods. As it got light, I could see a deer in the beans a couple hundred yards away. It was a good sized doe and at first I thought she was alone, then saw a couple more does in the brassicas. At about 7:15, 2 does came out of the woods and started eating beans about 50 yards in front of me, then were joined by a third doe a little while later. They were out there for 30 minutes when I saw a couple of them go on alert and started staring into the woods. Of course I immediately start scanning, but can't see what they're looking at. After a minute or so, I glanced in the other direction and saw the big guy coming my way. He was heading toward the 3 does, I'm assuming to check them out. When he was 100 yards out, he turned broadside. I got my heart back in my chest and squeezed the trigger. He dropped right there. Great part of the story is that I just picked up this 30.06 a month ago, and this was the first round I fired at a deer This is definitely going to be considered my lucky gun now.  After climbing down and checking him out, I went back up into the blind (you can see it in the picture) and poured another cup of coffee and wrote down everything in the journal I keep up there. I've got scales and he weighs 205 field dressed. My biggest buck yet, and I'm pumped! I'm guessing he's 5 1/2, but I dropped his head off at the DEC to have him aged. I'll get him back tomorrow. The cape is already at the taxidermist.

[/size]

[/size]Here he is in my beans this summer. He was a 7 pointer then.....no brow tines. He since broke one off, so he's a 6.

[/size]nicebuck.jpg

P1020443.jpg

P1020438.jpg

• 1 month later...