DNA testing confirms gray wolf killed near Cooperstown

Grouse

Some people think it was planted in NYS for a reason.

Wildlife advocates have called for the DEC to revisit and restrict coyote hunting regulations, in addition to educating hunters about wolves and coyotes. There are no limits on how many coyotes hunters kill during the season that runs 24 hours per day from October 1 to March 26. Wolf advocates say hunters may be killing wolves that are misidentified as coyotes. 

The DEC says it provides information to hunters and trappers to distinguish between coyotes and wolves and will seek feedback from sportsmen’s groups when the animal is unusually large. 

great "NOT " all this will do is get the tree huggers to try and restrict coyote hunting, It does not  surprise me a wolf was found in NY had a relative that lived on shore of SLR up by Messina he use to say he would see the occasional one crossing the ice in the winter from Canada....I highly doubt there is any established population any where in NY

Edited by land 1

28 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Some people think it was planted in NYS for a reason.

Wildlife advocates have called for the DEC to revisit and restrict coyote hunting regulations, in addition to educating hunters about wolves and coyotes. There are no limits on how many coyotes hunters kill during the season that runs 24 hours per day from October 1 to March 26. Wolf advocates say hunters may be killing wolves that are misidentified as coyotes. 

The DEC says it provides information to hunters and trappers to distinguish between coyotes and wolves and will seek feedback from sportsmen’s groups when the animal is unusually large. 

Not surprised i read norther yots are part wolf anyway from dna studies .  Probably came down from Canada they can travel huge  Distances .  I don't think hunting alone will ever get rid of wolves once they come back  When they got rid of them way back when it was  poisoning trapping and hunting that did them in . I think more the posioning  then anything else  which will never be allowed again .  I got yots on my cams 10 feet  in front of my house yet never seen one . 

Recently read an article about this.  A wolf advocate wants to protect the wolves by limiting yote hunting opportunities.  Guy is supposedly a crack pot wanna be  biologist. He has been accused of planting scat to spark investigations in hopes of protecting a possibility of a wolf living in different  areas.

• Like 1