Ever have this happen to you???

First-light

Ha-ha-ha ..... They got me. Even though I already knew what was going to happen, I jumped when that critter lunged up. It was a funny reaction.

Yes, it was pretty stupid of them to be standing in front when they had already remarked that the thing was still breathing. That's a good way to wind up with hoof-prints on your face or worse.

That was both funny and stupid at the same time. As soon as he saw it still breathing he should have put another round in it. I was afraid that could have been the buck I shot last weekend when i saw his rump go down not knowing whether i would have found him dead or not. I had another round chambered aleeady.

Edited by Deerthug

It was one of them fainting goats in a deer suit lol.  If he could see it was still breathing why didn't he put a round in the back of it head.  I have actually walked and stalked up on a doe one time while it was sleeping about 15 years ago. Was sleeping under some small pine trees and was a light rain so ground was wet and quiet. I got within 5 feet of her. I started going "Psst ,psst, wakey wakey. It started shakening it head like was still not fully awake and I yelled " Hey What are you doing" !!! She hauled ass out of there and ran about 30 yards and stood looking at me .  My dad and my best friend were standing about 50 yards from me as I was doing this. We never laughed so hard. I swear that deer must of been thinking " What in the heck just happened ? " I'm sound asleep and some jackass just woke me up.

Could of shot her but dad had a rule on our place . Was " no does to be shot until final weekend of season and had to be a doe without fawns. That rule is still used today in our hunting area. Even thou dad passed away. we still follow his rules.

• Like 1

A lot to digest here BUT, the deer was not "faking dead"....My guess is It was in shock from being shot. When you kicked it, it was startled enough to regain whatever it needed to continue it natural response to get the hell away from you. 

I hope you ended up killing and recovering it. Lesson learned.....Finish a breathing deer!

A few of use where doing a drive, and I got to the area where a watcher was supposed to be and no one around. I got on a radio and asked where they where. Next thing I know I have a 6 point buck at about 20 feet from me. So I shot him and he drops right there. My buddy walks up and says nice 3 point, I say no it was a 6 point. He like there is only one antler, the other antler is lying on the ground.Next he asked where did you shoot him, I said neck, he like there is no whole.  So I shot the deer while he was on lying on the ground. All we can figure is I shot his antler off and it knocked him out. I got lucky and got my deer.

I shot a big doe a couple of years back.  One shot and it was down.  I could see it's head swiveling around a little so I let it stay as I was a watcher on a drive.  I kept my attention on the doe hoping she would expire...for about 10 minutes she didn't move at all.  20 minutes later, she jumped up and just started running until I finished her with another shot.  They are tough animals and smart when they get into a bad situation.