Do you sharpen your broadheads

Five Seasons

I've always shot mechanicals and plan to do so again this year, but have been doing a lot of research on high foc arrows and cut on contact heads. I don't think they're as necessary for us whitetail hunters, but the idea of blowing through a shoulder is intriguing. 

Anyhow, in my research i see a lot of recommendations out there to sharpen your heads even from the factory. Some of the jigs are pretty cheap at ~$30 and others up close to $100. 

Anyone sharpen their factory heads? 

• Like 2

I only use cut on contact and touch them up by hand . 
A few times  one of my arrows will blow through a deer, and it doesn’t run off  , might jump,run a step or two and stop,look around ect ,before it falls over .

One ten pt many years ago rear quartering, ran 200 yards and fell ,I got up to it arrow was sticking out, and I couldn’t pull,It out ! Turns out it went through rib cage  ,came out low chest by front leg , then through the front leg bone ,the BH was sticking out the other side of the leg bone . Probably could have reused  that Mangus two blade . In fact if you aren’t good at reshaping them they will for free . 

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

I bought a jig and some diamond plates a few weeks ago and have messed around a little bit... still cant get the correct angle so the one broadhead I have messed with isnt any sharper than when I started lol... I am sure I will figure it out sooner or later.. im not concerned out of the box but want to learn so I can sharpen my used broadheads 

I use 150g magnus stinger buzzcuts

Edited by ridgerunner88
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ridgerunner88 said:

I bought a jig and some diamond plates a few weeks ago and have messed around a little bit... still cant get the correct angle so the one broadhead I have messed with isnt any sharper than when I started lol... I am sure I will figure it out sooner or later.. im not concerned out of the box but want to learn so I can sharpen my used broadheads 

Use a Shapie to blacken the bevel ,then you can see where you’re hitting it . A problem with jigs is if your edge bevel isn’t the same angle as the jig settings , in which case a complete reprofile would be necessary .

Which is why I use free hand most times , fine stone very light strokes ,like just resting the BH or knife on the stone , it’s own weight no added pressure , for a touch up . I clean my ceramic stones with cleanser first they work much better clean .

I just checked mine the other day , a couple could use some work. Taking them in and out of the quiver ,they sometimes hit the plastic,and over time that adds up I guess 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Use a Shapie to blacken the bevel ,then you can see where you’re hitting it . A problem with jigs is if your edge bevel isn’t the same angle as the jig settings , in which case a complete reprofile would be necessary .

Which is why I use free hand most times , fine stone very light strokes ,like just resting the BH or knife on the stone , it’s own weight no added pressure , for a touch up . I clean my ceramic stones with cleanser first they work much better clean .

I just checked mine the other day , a couple could use some work. Taking them in and out of the quiver ,they sometimes hit the plastic,and over time that adds up I guess 

Thanks for the advice.. I'll give free hand a go and see what happens. 

My sharpening kit from stay sharp just arrived a few days ago. Only reason i ordered it was these broadheads are single beveled. and must be held at the right angle. Im sure a better knife sharpener can do it with different tools but i cant lol. 

Stay sharp holder and 3 different grit diamond plates about 6" squares. 

Edited by LET EM GROW

12 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

My sharpening kit from stay sharp just arrived a few days ago. Only reason i ordered it was these broadheads are single beveled. and must be held at the right angle. Im sure a better knife sharpener can do it with different tools but i cant lol. 

Stay sharp holder and 3 different grit diamond plates about 6' squares. 

that's a big ass diamond plate my friend

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I went to single bevels a few years back and I sharpen them until they are scary sharp. I have a jig I bought a long time ago for my kitchen knives,it has a 20° and a 25° option. The 25 is close enough for my cutthroat broadheads. 

I have a couple of different diamond stones and in the end the heads get stopped on some leather. A super sharp head cuts a lot better than a so so edge that tends to push vessels out of the way. 

It is a learning curve but what isn't? 

• Like 1

i sharpen everything that i take out of the box/package; fixed, mechanicals, cut on contact, replacement blades, etc. more often it's just stropping on leather with micro polish. definitely makes them sharper which only helps them cut what you stick. i've made different jigs/wedges but it's easier just to get stay sharp ones i've figure out (one of the only things i've learned from ranch fairy folks). 1000/6000 grit double sided wetstone and leather strop with ?2 micron? purple polish. pretty much what i've settled on that works pretty good. if i chip an edge pretty bad i try to replace the blade if i can. single piece cut on contact heads i'll then take a smith hand held diamond plate tool to knock things down more because i'm doing all sides regardless if not all are chipped. otherwise i 1000 grit wetstone takes too long. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 6:15 PM, YFKI1983 said:

I switched to single bevels last year and was looking for something to sharpen with but they are curved. Not sure what I can use. If anyone has any input, I'd appreciate it. 20211031_080340.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Three sided jewel stick. I sharpen curved blades with it work really well.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 6:15 PM, YFKI1983 said:

I switched to single bevels last year and was looking for something to sharpen with but they are curved. Not sure what I can use. If anyone has any input, I'd appreciate it. 20211031_080340.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

That's the reason i went with the samurai style.. straight blade for easier sharpening, otherwise i wanted to buy these heads. 

Youll have to do some serious handworking and get good with a stone by hand to keep and hold those edges.  Or youll need a stone that has the same angle you can run along that edge. 

• Like 2