Do you sharpen your broadheads

Five Seasons

15 minutes ago, Belo said:

I disagree to some extent. a rage will cut a 2.3" wound channel, and if sharp enough and the shot true, you're undoubtedly cutting that many more arteries/veins and also potentially clipping a lung or the heart where a smaller fixed blade may not. Of course if the fixed blade can blow through the scapula or doesn't deflect then that's better than the mechanical that bounces off. At the end of the day a good shot is a good shot regardless. I think the tiebreaker though is that a good shot on a rage may still not be a passthrough and a good single bevel will, so you're less likely to get a plug or deflection. if that makes sense. 

for what it's worth, i've shot nothing but rage heads for 15 years. I've only lost one deer and that was a doe 2 years ago. She's still alive and my shot was just real low and a high angle (brisket). It wasn't the rages fault, it was mine. So I really have no reason to switch from what has put a lot of meat in the freezer other than I'm buying the hype on the fixed heads. 

Granted a bigger hole, with razor sharp blades will certainly draw more blood. But it also depends on your shot placement. Big holes at the right spots, (for example high lung angling down) if it even exits you'll have good blood since you created a drain plug, but if it doesn't exit your not getting much of a blood trail at all until it starts coming out of the nose and mouth. Even a high lung fairly level shot will result in a less than desired blood trail. Leading back to shot placement and angles leading to the best blood trails, regardless of broadhead. But i think were both explaining the same situations, just differently.

I love Rage and will go straight back to them if i ever needed a quick fix from what im shooting. Those Rage Hypos treated me well since they came out, even the original heads never failed me. I even put the collars on wrong and still they opened every time.. Put them hypos in a spine on a big doe, pulled the head out and it was sharp and un bent.. Maybe i got lucky but i have zero complaints with them. I did have a backup package but my stepson needed new heads and i gave them to him... Since i cant get it through his head to shoot a better built arrow setup, especially since he lost a couple deer and a bear already at age 16 to shoulder hits and zero penetration.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, airedale said:

My archery stuff is pretty much vintage, I still use the old Bear Razorheads on Easton XX75 aluminum shafts, the old Bears can be sharpened quite nicely and easily on the Work Sharp knife and blade sharpener.

Al

2022-09-29_133634.png

i love my worksharp, i have that same model. considered it for broadheads too, but worried about the angle... idk. 

• 5 weeks later...

I shoot all kinds but typically shoot Rage. I've noticed night and day differences with blood trails if I take a sharp blade and make it shaving like a razor sharp. Just touched up some fixed headed from being in a quiver and readied some put of the package Rage heads and one original titanium I just out through a doe.
One thing I will give to the ranch fairy is pointing out these jigs. They aren't idiot proof but let me work faster than free handing it.
20221027_212613.jpg20221027_212637.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Need a few? Ive got a quiver full you are welcome to

Thanks so much for the offer but I have plenty for my own use. Ebay would be a good place to unload them, they are getting a pretty good buck for vintage Bear equipment especially good condition razorheads.

Al

• Like 1