Rut Season 2013

westchesterbowhunter

Unfortunately I have hardly had a chance to get into the stand much this year, due to that glorious thing called work.  I have read some reports online that the Rut was going to start slightly later this year from around Nov.15th to Nov.29th.  I went out Monday afternoon(it was 65degrees, sunny, and windy) and was using Tink's Doe in Rut and some estrous bleats.  I had a Monster Buck come in about 50 yards away behind some heavy brush.  He stopped and put his nose in the air, then looked in my direction for about 3 minutes, then turned and slowly walked away.  I am heading back out this afternoon and was wondering if I should stay away from scent today, bleats?? Is the Rut winding down or is it the prime time right now??? any Suggestions?? Thanks

Whereabouts are you hunting?  Rut started early up in NNY, my deer's neck was swollen like I'd never seen before.  Opening Day in Southern Zone, I saw several bucks that had been shot and their necks were skinny.  Didn't see a lot of scrape activity either.  Up North was all torn up!

There was a TON of sign being laid down in mid October. I saw a scrape on the opening day of archery. I have never seen one that early. In fact I was blown away by the amount I found just before I got mine on 10/9. A lot of rubs were appearing until the end of archery. I haven't seen a fresh scrape since early Nov, prior to the last week of October they were everywhere. I changed spots for rifle and found some recent rubs, but nothing made in the past week or so. It has been a strange, strange year.

The buck i took during bowseason was all rutted up. Treebark on his horns, all stunk up and his neck was rutted up. The big one i missed a week before him was looking for does. This was late oct/early nov. Still seeing some fresh rubs and scrapes, but the 6 does that came in the other night had nothing following them. Not sure what stage we are in but im hunting near the thick stuff!

The buck I took on thanksgiving was all rutted up! His tarsal glands were dyed a black color and stuck up the place! His neck was swollen and his antlers had fresh bark all over the tines. I keep telling my bother to get out there because he is the only one left with a buck tag, but his job has him running on fumes when he's out, but when he is not out he's passed out on the couch. The rut report also from field and stream says we are still in the peak rut today. So get out there boys and bag a bruiser!

Bucks seem to be chasing the does now . 4 have fallen in the past week within my neighborhood . I have not had the opportunity to make it out much since my 11/6-11/18 vac..During that time I saw little buck movement and bucks still grouped together(unusual for the rut). Seems like a late rut as Charles A. predicted .

Since i took my doe last monday...i havent seen any deer again. Not much for tracks and they dont seem to be chasing or anything. I did hear two grunts the day i took her but he never appeared. As i was draggin her out i kicked up a buck but couldnt see alot of bone up top. Figure its one of the spikes weve been seeing. But the doe i took was all stinky and im assuming in estrous. Strange this year but as others have said might be a late rut. Muzzleloader is looking pretty good right now!

Hunted on the tughill over Thanksgiving weekend and we saw groups of deer in the fields off Route 177 and damn near hit a doe chased into road by a buck. A few miles away we saw about 13-14 deer in field that was being watched over by two huge bucks. I saw a couple of loan doe in woods which indicate to me that they may be still coming in.