Smoking Cigars While Hunting

CigarHunter

Not if I want to be successful .

HA!!

I used to.  I quit this past January (well, I cheat and have had about a dozen since then) but smoked them for 36 years.

You couldn't count the deer I killed during or AFTER having a good smoke.  Seconds  after this "selfie" I killed a PA doe......

1017010800.jpg

• Like 2

I have had a smoke or two while on watch for a drive, depends on the wind.  One thing that bugs the crap out of me is cigarette butts I find in the woods.  It's not that hard to knock out the leftover tobacco and put the butt in a bag or your pocket til you get back to camp.

• Like 1

Geez, Larry, that pistol looks familiar.

When I started hunting nearly everyone I knew smoked, including me. Never seemed to be an issue..Deer still somehow managed to get killed despite the fact that all of those hunters were puffing away.I remember having to put a Marlboro down a time or two to shoot a deer.

I quit smoking in 1980, but I still dip a little Skoal now and again...

you can smell like gasoline if the wind is right. That being said, you decrease your odds that a deer will come from a direction that is downwind of you. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it doesn't help. And during the rut they can come from all over. And during the rut they can also not care about odors.

personally i wouldn't. Please be careful during the dry seasons too.

*notice most of these are gun kills too. Much harder to get a deer within bow range while smoking.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

How about pipe smokers. Any adverse hunting effects from that? Frankly, I used to smoke for many years and couldn't tell you how many times I had to set the cigarette down to pick up the bow. You either have got the wind or you don't. I do wonder about strong aromatic smokes that periodically hit one of those back-blows, and distributes smoke molecules out along the trail that you are watching. Does it leave residual scent behind like footprints? Also, do the stronger scents hang together more and travel farther when the wind starts getting unpredictable.

Ah, all these questions and so few answers. All I can say is that hunting is a recreational activity. If smoking enhances your hunting, go ahead and light up. If you want to quit smoking, hunting sits pretty low on the long list of good reasons.

I don't smoke cigars but I love me a good cigarette. And as was mentioned it only takes a second to field strip it and put it in a plastic bag in your pocket.  I have bow hunted most of animals, 2 moose, 3 elk, 4-5 bears, I forgot how many deer all done while smoking.  Nothing like bugling in a bull elk for your hunting partner 75 yards away while I am enjoying my Marlboro.   

I don't smoke cigars, but i do smoke cigarettes  and have taken many deer while smoking. With bow and or gun. I hunt on the ground , not in a treestand. Just this morning I had a bear come in to 20 yards of me while I was smoking a cigarette. He was feeding down wind from me and never picked me up. After five min he justed walked away.. I have also had deer do this. To a deer and or bear smoke is smoke, be it wood smoke or cigarette smoke or a cigar. As long as you are clean no problem.