Let a bear walk this morning

noodle one

Got in to where I wanted to sit this morning  at 6;45am . Was there about an hour when I hear something with four leges  close by walking my way. I am hoping that it is the buck I have been after for the last three weeks. The last two weeks of bow an this week of gun.I was hoping to see a buck   step out when at 20 yards out steps a black bear just walking along. Every now and  then putting it head down to pick a acorn up to eat. The bear was so close that I could hear the acorns pop when he bite down on them. I would say he was 150 to 200lbs. a real nice bear. He was around for a good 5 min. and never knew I was there. I had the gun on him the hole time and could shot if I wanted to. I asked myself, why do you want to shoot  a bear and told myself to let him go.I sat there for another two hours and never saw a thing. Oh well, maybe the buck tomorrow. 

• Like 1

thats How Ifeel this year I have gotten  a ton of bear pics on my camera  Including   some of a bear that has  a big white   V   on his chest I rember seeing him 2-3 years ago when was a little cub. I just cant see shooting a bear for fun ,for a rug ,for sport or any other reason ! I always get a  big kick when I see one, sure a rug is cool in a rustic cabin  but thats just me

• Like 1

thats How Ifeel this year I have gotten  a ton of bear pics on my camera  Including   some of a bear that has  a big white   V   on his chest I rember seeing him 2-3 years ago when was a little cub. I just cant see shooting a bear for fun ,for a rug ,for sport or any other reason ! I always get a  big kick when I see one, sure a rug is cool in a rustic cabin  but thats just me

It must have been pretty cool to watch him. I have seen quite  a few, over the years, down in Allegheny County. I just can't see shooting the damn things. If they posed a threat or were a nuisance I would drop the hammer, but to shoot one just to make a rug or to say I shot one, isn't me. I have heard that the meat is pretty much inedible.

It must have been pretty cool to watch him. I have seen quite  a few, over the years, down in Allegheny County. I just can't see shooting the damn things. If they posed a threat or were a nuisance I would drop the hammer, but to shoot one just to make a rug or to say I shot one, isn't me. I have heard that the meat is pretty much inedible.

THATS THE WAY ANTS  I think its good karma  It helps  the big bucks to show up in front of you  ha ha what ever it takes even superstition, I will take all the help I can get

I had a buddy who took one down in Georgia this year and he said the eatin has been real good. But he can cook and the bear was young maybe 200 pounds. My uncle shot a big old one years ago up in the dacks and they said it was so bad they ground the whole thing for the dogs.

So, exactly how do you drag a bear. It seems like it would be a bit like trying to tie a drag-rope on  huge garbage bag of jello. They don't exactly come with handles.

I would just tie a rope around its neck and pull but considering it took me 2 1/4 hours to drag my buck the half mile back to my house, I figured a bear would be a bit more difficult and I wasn't ready for it when the time came.

I wasn't worried about draging it to far. There is a woods road 30 yards behind me and another a 100 yards down hill below me. Two years ago I shot  a big buck in that same spot and worked my way to within 10 yards of it to get it out with my four wheeler.I have permission from the land owner to take my four wheeler in any time I want. If I had shot him and he had dropped there close by all I would need to do is walk out to my truck and drive home (two min away)  and come back with my four wheeler. ( All time four wheel drive 400)  I know it could do the job because I have carried as many as three deer with it at one time. I just didn't feel I wanted tto shoot him.

• Like 1

Well since I have shot quite a few bears, I will say a couple of things as some already stated the meat is excellent if shot in the right place. I have taken two bears in huckleberry patches and I enjoy the meat. They were around the 200-225 pound range. I shot a bear in Alaska along the coast that was eating kelp, that was not even edible after I made it into sausage. So it truly goes with what they are eating. The only bear that I have shot and did not eat was my grizzly. In Alaska you do not have to eat the meat, but I was determined to. After boiling some of the meat at camp and eating a small portion of it I racked out for the evening. Got up the next day and there was at least a 2 inch layer of hard fat in the boiled water so I now understand why it is not edible.

As for dragging a bear, I have never done that, No matter where or how close I am I always quarter them up and pack them out. The only time I did not do that was I shot one about a mile in when elk hunting and knew my buddy was close to me somewhere so just waited and when he showed up we just tied the legs together threaded a stick through them and carried it out. One more piece of information if you are going to want to get it mounted, wether it be lifesize or a rug. Dragging it out can remove a lot of the hair making it not so nice of a mount.

• Like 1