First frost of the yr.

mowin

Had 32° this morning. First frost last year was September 19th.  Was mainly elevated surfaces, but my hot tub cover had some on it, so I'm sure there were areas that had frost on the ground.  Shop roof and 4 wheeler seat were solid frost. 

IMG_20220924_072043741.jpg

IMG_20220924_071952266_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220924_072138162.jpg

Edited by mowin

No frost yet here on the far end of WNY, half way between Lake Erie and Ontario.  Those big ponds usually hold that off for quite some time.  Just to be safe, I picked and froze all of our remaining sweetcorn two days ago.  That was the first batch all year, that the coons didn’t wipeout almost completely. 

Here is a picture I took yesterday of some of the remnants of that ongoing battle.  (6) adult male coons and one juvenile gave their lives, but managed to destroy about 1/4 acre of sweetcorn.  

They were burried nearby, only to be exhumed by coyotes within a few days.  I have to assume the the coyotes took out all of the female and most of the young coons in the area on their own, without the help of me and my traps.  

Hopefully, the little coon-free area that we have created here, will lead to some better turkey hunting next year.  

381385AE-87B0-4549-A80F-9670C10EDE9F.thumb.jpeg.17c7fad5f7ec475991f4c9909b4acb18.jpeg