Age this buck

Chef

On 10/30/2022 at 7:40 PM, Lawdwaz said:

Looking forward to the lower jaw picture.

Adding @dbHunterNY to this thread also since IIRC he has extensive experience aging. I know you use Matson too and even they say toothware is extremely variable and unpredictable for aging beyond 2.5 years old. They claim cementum again is 96% accurate for whitetails.

3.5 would be my WAG.   

Just took a look, that’s an oldie. The accuracy of tooth wear aging tanks after 3.5 years old (it’s good up to 3.5 though) but it still can give a part way decent idea of a starting age. For example, we had two deer that were textbook 6.5’s based on tooth wear, but when tested in a lab one turned out to be 6.5 and the other turned out to be 9.5. Just the way it is. So this one, based on tooth wear alone I’d say is *starting* at 5.5.

From someone who’s job it is to age deer for a local hunting program

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

On 11/3/2022 at 5:52 AM, BizCT said:

@dbHunterNY thoughts?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

at the office but just seeing this. matches the other pieces of the puzzle. he favored one side which isn't uncommon. 4th tooth back (M1) is halfway to 6.5 on the favored side but you can see the infundibulum that still sections the tooth from the top view on both sides. they aren't dished out yet and it being gone. clear as day the dentine width compared to the width of the enamel is more for all molars M1 to the last (M3). it looks 5.5 yrs old to me.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 7:32 AM, Chef said:

Just took a look, that’s an oldie. The accuracy of tooth wear aging tanks after 3.5 years old (it’s good up to 3.5 though) but it still can give a part way decent idea of a starting age. For example, we had two deer that were textbook 6.5’s based on tooth wear, but when tested in a lab one turned out to be 6.5 and the other turned out to be 9.5. Just the way it is. So this one, based on tooth wear alone I’d say is *starting* at 5.5.

From someone who’s job it is to age deer for a local hunting program

you have to send teeth in for CA to back check your methods. that said once you're at 5.5 it's more theoretical to get to 8.5 yrs old. the replacement and wear method is tapped out. we always do both for anything odd looking, to back check ourselves, for any 4.5+ buck, or any doe with no infundibulum in sight on any tooth. so much of the hard enamel is gone that you'll have variations in wear. also if any abnormality years before like abscess or broken teeth will be hard to distinguish. 

On 11/2/2022 at 10:36 PM, heavuser said:

4.5!!

The molar cusps aren't worn down enough for it to be a 5.5.

Damn, now I want the lower jaw back on all the bucks I shoot. 

for years it was taboo to shoot a doe where the family farm is and others in the area. i've likely tossed more jawbones from doe that were ancient. since our group has gotten piles of doe even in the teens and up to 20 yrs old back from the lab. around 7.5 on they all start to look the same. teeth start partially disappearing with no height in the mid teens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

at the office but just seeing this. matches the other pieces of the puzzle. he favored one side which isn't uncommon. 4th tooth back (M1) is halfway to 6.5 on the favored side but you can see the infundibulum that still sections the tooth from the top view on both sides. they aren't dished out yet and it being gone. clear as day the dentine width compared to the width of the enamel is more for all molars M1 to the last (M3). it looks 5.5 yrs old to me.

You're the man! Thanks for chiming in. @Chef is sending the 2 teeth in for confirmation

you have to send teeth in for CA to back check your methods. that said once you're at 5.5 it's more theoretical to get to 8.5 yrs old. the replacement and wear method is tapped out. we always do both for anything odd looking, to back check ourselves, for any 4.5+ buck, or any doe with no infundibulum in sight on any tooth. so much of the hard enamel is gone that you'll have variations in wear. also if any abnormality years before like abscess or broken teeth will be hard to distinguish. 

It’s going in for CA for sure. Packet was ordered but delayed in shipping front teeth on salt in the fridge

• Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 12:15 AM, Chef said:

It’s going in for CA for sure. Packet was ordered but delayed in shipping front teeth on salt in the fridge

yea we don't do anything to them because you don't want to scrape or damage the root. Just make sure they're in something that can breathe so they dry out. Otherwise they'll start to rot.

yea we don't do anything to them because you don't want to scrape or damage the root. Just make sure they're in something that can breathe so they dry out. Otherwise they'll start to rot.

I had it salted and in a paper envelope should be good