Age this buck

Chef

On 9/26/2022 at 4:19 PM, BizCT said:

Not sure what you mean on either account. Chef hunts rockland county. Not NYC. And secondly, we know WNY has great genetics. Looks at the big bucks taken each year. You're blessed, but most of the eastern part of the state is not. The average 3.5 in SENY is under 100".

Edit to add chart. 103" average and that's 3.5+. 

I've said it for years, a lot of people on this forum underestimate age due to antler rack which is silly. Know your herd and learn. If more people who shot "little bucks" looked at the molars, they would be surprised how many are actually 2.5 (not 1.5)

Screenshot 2022-09-26 162729.png

3.5 yr old 109" in Suffolk?

No way that would be 120+ easy

Edited by Danny

29 minutes ago, Danny said:

3.5 yr old 109" in Suffolk?

No way that would be 120+ easy

it's simply saying the average 3.5+ in Westchester/Suffolk combined. So if 2 were killed 120" and 99", the average is 109". IDK anything about suffolk, but it's huge. the entire island pretty much. I'm sure there are great spots and not so great spots like anywhere else.

Edited by BizCT

37 minutes ago, BizCT said:

it's simply saying the average 3.5+ in Westchester/Suffolk combined. So if 2 were killed 120" and 99", the average is 109". IDK anything about suffolk, but it's huge. the entire island pretty much. I'm sure there are great spots and not so great spots like anywhere else.

Who the heck is reporting the inches of all the bucks killed in these areas?   Heck most killing big bucks, especially in the SE are mums the word.  Not sure how reliable this is.  In fact, since the average 3yr is less that 140 in steuben co/southern tier, its clearly inaccurate.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Who the heck is reporting the inches of all the bucks killed in these areas?   Heck most killing big bucks, especially in the SE are mums the word.  Not sure how reliable this is.  In fact, since the average 3yr is less that 140 in steuben co/southern tier, its clearly inaccurate.

Very inaccurate. Up along Lake Ontario 150-170 inch deer are taken quite regularly. Seems as though most land owners of today are hunters not some couple that bought a house with a back 40. Nobody on the road i live on shoots small bucks and they all fill doe tags. Its a group effort that we all enjoy staking part in. Granted we own most of the whole road so that helps!

1 minute ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Very inaccurate. Up along Lake Ontario 150-170 inch deer are taken quite regularly. Seems as though most land owners of today are hunters not some couple that bought a house with a back 40. Nobody on the road i live on shoots small bucks and they all fill doe tags. Its a group effort that we all enjoy staking part in. Granted we own most of the whole road so that helps!

Let me know when you need a partner.  Lol.   

6 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

True 170's? and define regularly? It's easy to long arm or say the word 170 class. It's another thing to actually official tape out at that. Just like all the 100's we see on this forum that people claim are 120".

200K deer killed in NY each year. If half are bucks, that's 100K bucks per year in NY. and how many officially go 170"? Under 20 statewide?

Edited by BizCT

34 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I assume the DEC biologists at butchers. They are there locally 9 out of every 10 times we go there the past 30 years

8 minutes ago, BizCT said:

True 170's? and define regularly? It's easy to long arm or say the word 170 class. It's another thing to actually official tape out at that. Just like all the 100's we see on this forum that people claim are 120".

200K deer killed in NY each year. If half are bucks, that's 100K bucks per year in NY. and how many officially go 170"? Under 20 statewide?

He doesnt lie, I can show pictures right now(If granted permissions) of bucks along Lake Ontario that are 160" and even in my 8F Family property theres a gene pool to produce Giants when that one buck makes it past hunters and lives to 3 or 4yrs,  they have more mass than you would believe... Have seen 3 and 4 yr old (DEC Aged) bucks here go well over 140" .. but you have to get into the gene pool pockets with perfect soils.

There is areas all around NYS that can produce bucks like this, but the average NY buck at 3 yrs old is not like this.. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BizCT said:

I assume the DEC biologists at butchers. They are there locally 9 out of every 10 times we go there the past 30 years

Did you say "I assume" to verify the credibility of this report?  Seriously, even if true, 75% of the hunters I know butcher their own deer.  I have shot bucks ranging from spikes to 140 plus and none have been to a butcher or been seen by DEC.  Again, this expert report would likely be thrown out of court as unreliable.  But hey, to each his own! 

That may be a good pole - how many butcher their own deer regularly?

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

Did you say "I assume" to verify the credibility of this report?  Seriously, even if true, 75% of the hunters I know butcher their own deer.  I have shot bucks ranging from spikes to 140 plus and none have been to a butcher or been seen by DEC.  Again, this expert report would likely be thrown out of court as unreliable.  But hey, to each his own! 

the largest processor around here def doesnt have the DEC come and score all the racks.  They will come in to be sure tags etc are legal on a spot check but they arent scoring them.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

the largest processor around here def doesnt have the DEC come and score all the racks.  They will come in to be sure tags etc are legal on a spot check but they arent scoring them.   

Uh oh, more anecdotal/circumstantial evidence of the unreliability of this report.   lol

OK, I am a bit bored and playing with Mr. Biz!

Edited by moog5050

23 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

He doesnt lie, I can show pictures right now(If granted permissions) of bucks along Lake Ontario that are 160" and even in my 8F Family property theres a gene pool to produce Giants when that one buck makes it past hunters and lives to 3 or 4yrs,  they have more mass than you would believe... Have seen 3 and 4 yr old (DEC Aged) bucks here go well over 140" .. but you have to get into the gene pool pockets with perfect soils.

There is areas all around NYS that can produce bucks like this, but the average NY buck at 3 yrs old is not like this.. 

I'm not calling him a liar. I'm just saying it's rare. and like you just said it is.

14 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

there's a column with the letter "n". I assume that means number as in the count, so yes it's a small sample size. 95% of the hunters I know use a butcher though. Even the ones who occasionally do 1 themselves, still use a butcher more often than not. I don't think anyone is trying to say the report is perfect. My Dad shot a 94" 4.5 last year and I shot a 65" 3.5 last year, so that average would be 79.5". I didn't see DEC score the racks, but maybe they did after I left?

13 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

TCIII drove me by one of those WNY butchers and there was piles of deer stacked up in a parking lot. It was insane! I thought the local butcher was crowded when your deer doesn't get 1 of the 4 hooks and hung right away! 

• Like 1

here you go @moog5050. Looks like in 2020, they checked roughly 14K of the 253K deer taken, so it's a small sample size like i mentioned. 5.8% in 2020 checked and 6.9% in 2021. At least its better than those election polls where they sample 1,500 out of 330M

Screenshot 2022-09-29 151824.png

Edited by BizCT

6 minutes ago, BizCT said:

TCIII drove me by one of those WNY butchers and there was piles of deer stacked up in a parking lot. It was insane! I thought the local butcher was crowded when your deer doesn't get 1 of the 4 hooks and hung right away! 

My buddy shot a deer 2nd day of gun last year and they wouldnt even take the deer cause they had so many.  yeah it def gets crazy. i will take one in or do it myself.  Mostly depends on if i have the time or not.  But the gun opener i woudl def plan on doing it myself. 

6 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

My buddy shot a deer 2nd day of gun last year and they wouldnt even take the deer cause they had so many.  yeah it def gets crazy. i will take one in or do it myself.  Mostly depends on if i have the time or not.  But the gun opener i woudl def plan on doing it myself. 

I can't imagine taking a deer to one of the butchers you all describe.   I am too picky about cleanliness, timing and how its handled.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

I can't imagine taking a deer to one of the butchers you all describe.   I am too picky about cleanliness, timing and how its handled.

not all of them are like that.  The one i go to is awesome - Marsh Mill in Bridgeport. very, very clean and they have a process of one deer in at a time.  Everything is very professional with great packaging. They cost maybe $10-$20 more but its well worth it.  If taking a deer there the first time they take you for a tour even to be sure you see the operation. But i have dropped off deer for people at other places and walked away saying no way ever! 

I like to do my own but sometimes just pressed for time.  Plus its nice to get a doe drop it off and be able to hunt right away again for a buck.  

15 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Bonkers!

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

i live and hunt in 8F. There are many large 3-4 thousand acre farms in my area. Every year very big bucks are taken on those managed farms. My BIL has killed 2 150+ and numerous other 140+ i have killed 4 130+ and one 145 inch deer. Many other p&y deer.  Most of these deer have been taken on 45 acres. This area is very very underrated as far as deer go. If you guys remember my buck parade thread from my back yard there were 4 deer over 150 that were nightly behind my home. My bIL killed one of them and i posted pics of it on here. Hate go burst your bubble guys but big deer are totally possible around here. Its the hunting pressure that changes that. That habitat is wonderful for deer and the drumlin’s lend itself well to deer rut funnels and good habitat variety. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

i live and hunt in 8F. There are many large 3-4 thousand acre farms in my area. Every year very big bucks are taken on those managed farms. My BIL has killed 2 150+ and numerous other 140+ i have killed 4 130+ and one 145 inch deer. Many other p&y deer.  Most of these deer have been taken on 45 acres. This area is very very underrated as far as deer go. If you guys remember my buck parade thread from my back yard there were 4 deer over 150 that were nightly behind my home. My bIL killed one of them and i posted pics of it on here. Hate go burst your bubble guys but big deer are totally possible around here. Its the hunting pressure that changes that. That habitat is wonderful for deer and the drumlin’s lend itself well to deer rut funnels and good habitat variety. 

no doubt you live in an awesome deer hunting area. 8F has triple the amount of adult bucks killed per square mile (3.3) than many other parts of the state and still way behind 8X (5.1)

Edited by BizCT