First post and deer

DranDran

Hi everyone, after not seeing a deer at all this season I finally got my chance. I was in the stand and I was told to meet my uncle back at the car at 5:05 and just at dark (still had a little light left) this guy showed up. The picture isn't the best but it was 22 degrees and we had been out all day also not sure why it made me look so odd lol3b5a.jpg one shot through the heart at 150 yards with my uncles .270 (appropriately named the deer slayer) 

Edited by DranDran
  • Like 3

sunrise to sunset is legal hunting hours look it up in the charts.  Sunset was as mentioned long before the time you say you shot.  Walking out at 4:50 light was scarce  Not to get on a soap box here, but it is up to you to know the hunting laws before you go afield. Nice deer congrats

Edited by bubba

Thanks, I was exited to say the least. Now I'm being told that it was past legal hunting hours because it was just before/at dark by my cousin. What do you think?

150yds at or near dark is pushing it, but with a snowy backdrop a deer sticks out pretty good. Legal shooting light is at the published sunset. I use this site for sunrise/sunset timeshttp://www.sunrisesunset.com/usa/New_York.asp

Wait...are you all congratulating a person who MAY HAVE disregarded/unknowingly(may be worse!) broke the law and endangered lives. What time did you shoot? What town? If those two pieces both jive....congrats! If not, open the regs book before your next hunt.

Edited by crappyice

Wait...are you all congratulating a person who MAY HAVE disregarded/unknowingly(may be worse!) broke the law and endangered lives. What time did you shoot? What town? If those two pieces both jive....congrats! If not, open the regs book before your next hunt.

Looking at the time I shot it was 10 minutes before sunset so still legal and there is nothing in the background but thick pines so it would have been safe if there was pass through. 

Well then..congrats. Your first story stated you only "had a little light left" which makes it sound like you were beyond LEGAL time while you could still see.

It's been a long day and I'm exhausted. But I was for sure still within legal hours, it was really cloudy in my area today so it wasn't too bright all day and that's what I meant by a little light

Well then..congrats. Your first story stated you only "had a little light left" which makes it sound like you were beyond LEGAL time while you could still see.

Last night in southern Livingston County, at 4;00 you would have thought it was WAY past legal shooting time.  It was sooo dark due to the storm clouds bringing in heavy bursts of snow and nasty winds that I thought the world was coming to an end.

Probably similar conditions for the OP..........

• Like 2

Last night in southern Livingston County, at 4;00 you would have thought it was WAY past legal shooting time.  It was sooo dark due to the storm clouds bringing in heavy bursts of snow and nasty winds that I thought the world was coming to an end.

Probably similar conditions for the OP..........

Yes it was, those storm clouds completely block out the sun 

We all love hunting and we all wan't to preserve our hunting rights. If we see someone posting illegal/unsafe activity we call them on it. You can call it harsh or call it positive criticism,  but it would be ignorant and just plain stupid for us to just let it slide. I'm sure most people can understand that. 

• Like 2

Or better yet, be more specific so there is little confusion as to whether or not congratulations are in order! Welcome to the forum!!!

The thread title is "first post and deer", can it bit that he was just very excited about the experience and the words didn't come out right?

Some of you guys really need to chill out and not read too deeply into some posts. Let the kid enjoy the moment!!

• Like 2