First post and deer

DranDran

The thread title is "first post and deer", can it bit that he was just very excited about the experience and the words didn't come out right?

Some of you guys really need to chill out and not read too deeply into some posts. Let the kid enjoy the moment!!

That would be too easy. The elite superhunter ethics police are all over this place!

• Like 2

That would be too easy. The elite superhunter ethics police are all over this place!

Does anyone else find it humorous that when you do things right and try to pass that on you get called names? Kind of like being a conservative and saying things are messed up in the govt right now.

• Like 2

Some of it has It has to do with the way the response is worded. It's not always easy to sense sarcasm or a joking statement and sometimes the context of the message gets misconstrued. That being said there are a certain few people who seemingly go out of there way to criticize just about anything.

Now I'm not saying that If he did take this deer a few mins after legal that no one should say anything. But maybe he was indeed excited and worded his OP wrong and go figure just about half of the first 6 responses involved something about being after legal hours. Unless you were there with him all your response should read is congrats on a nice deer on a shitty day. End of story. No one needs nor wants your criticism on how they hunt.

FYI this is not directed at anyone in particular. Just sick of the bickering all weekend on a great site.

• Like 4

The thread title is "first post and deer", can it bit that he was just very excited about the experience and the words didn't come out right?

Some of you guys really need to chill out and not read too deeply into some posts. Let the kid enjoy the moment!!

we need a better mix of "educating and teaching". Most of us are guilty of being to harsh or to lenient. But if we push away the new guys they'll never come back to share and learn. Then they end up as a good portion of the other NYS hunters doing things unintentionally illegal or worse.

Edited by Belo

Do you guys really think that he would knowingly post an illegal taking of a deer. If he shot over 150 yards it couldn't have been after legal shooting time. Just be happy for the guy and don't be such critics. To all have a great Thanksgiving.

• Like 2

With regard to successful kill threads, most of the replies involve DEC Officer wanna bees. So many official time keepers on here it's a wonder they even get any time in the field. Maybe we should all pack it up at 2:30PM fly home and make posts on here from the home PC before the days legal shooting hours are done. 

There's a reason why I don't post anything about my kills. It's guaranteed someone will find fault, become jealous of your success and belittle if not out right harass you for killing a buck bigger than "his". I've taken 17 P&Y buck in my lifetime so far. One of them had a picture and article in a local newspaper about the hunt that I wrote. The year following that article I had "hunters" driving around looking for my truck. It got so bad that I would have to park in a spot and have my buddy take me miles away to hunt where I wanted to hunt. I felt like the hunted rather than the hunter. People go nutzo with killing a deer. Nothing else matters. Regulations, trespassing, safetey  and outright jacklighting at 2AM. I no longer hunt to kill. I hunt for other reasons that many would not understand. I've taken 499 deer total in my life. Number 500 will be a very special deer, because it will be my last...

Congratulations on your first of many successful hunts. The reason you look "odd" is because the camera got stupid and didn't know what to focus on.

May the Red Gods smile down upon you for many years to come.

• Like 4

Because it will weigh over 300 pounds and I'll be dragging it out myself three ridges back. 

Seriously. I will be using a flintlock that I built for my son who was killed in Afghanistan December 2008

Sorry for your loss, I bet that flintlock will shoot streight and true.

God bless.

• Like 3

Because it will weigh over 300 pounds and I'll be dragging it out myself three ridges back.

Seriously. I will be using a flintlock that I built for my son who was killed in Afghanistan December 2008

Always hate reading the loss of a brother in arms. Guarantee that flintlock will be accurate and true.

• Like 1

This is a perfect example of how a lot of you talk a good game about your reverence for deer hunting and conservation... based on the first post it is entirely exceptable to question whether the deer was taken during legal shooting time... with his explanation we take him at his word that it was and that deserves a congrats... but to be upset that there are some here who care about the law just shows me that some others of you might not have a problem with killing deer outside of legal shooting time... that's a shame... and to congratulate someone for an illegal kill would be more than a shame.

• Like 2

This is a perfect example of how a lot of you talk a good game about your reverence for deer hunting and conservation... based on the first post it is entirely exceptable to question whether the deer was taken during legal shooting time... with his explanation we take him at his word that it was and that deserves a congrats... but to be upset that there are some here who care about the law just shows me that some others of you might not have a problem with killing deer outside of legal shooting time... that's a shame... and to congratulate someone for an illegal kill would be more than a shame.

So true.

I am not going to say that I would definitely not shoot a deer a few minutes after legal hours.in good light... I am going to say that I drive 62 in a 55, occasionally do a rolling stop at a stop sign.

For those that follow the rules to the T, congrats..you are in the large minority. The rest of you are more than likely pretending to be holier than the , over the internet...

I am a big beleiver in following the spirit of the law,not blind allegiance.

Now, just as if I was driving 80 on a crouded street I would expect the book to be thrown at me and priveleges revoked.

• Like 2

I see nothing wrong with stating the contents of a law that you may feel has been broken when reading a post. I would hate to think that any of us would allow another hunter to remain unaware that he had violated a law. Why would anybody want him to remain ignorant of the infraction and perhaps continue it over and over?

That doesn't mean that such a reply has to lead to some kind of battle. As long as the correction is not stated in a way that is judgmental or accusatory, no offense should be taken and there should really not be any controversy.  I personally got the impression that the original poster did not fully understand that the sunrise and sunset requirements do have a precise value that must be looked up each day. I thought it was instructional for someone to point that out.

• Like 3

Looks like the ethics police are still around. Always telling people what they should do. As a hunter you should know the rules before you head out in the morning and be as ethical as you can possibly be.  You only have to be responsible to yourself . What other hunters do is their business. I thought we beat this topic to death last year, and it wasn't pretty.