Coyote poll

Just curious to how many of you hunters see coyotes during hunting season, how many and what time of

day? I have seen 3 already so far this gun season (now there's one less) and all have been in the

morning. Most years I don't see any and I spend hundreds of hours in the woods each year. Over the past 18 years I have seen 7 and was able to kill 4 (2 with the bow, 2 with a gun) and all have been killed in the a.m.

Coyotes get shot on sight. No ifs ands or buts about it. Most of my Yote sightings are near dark late afternoon. In the hills of North Central PA at noon time when the fire whistles  blow at noon, the yotes start howling. Great time to be in the woods. A few years back I hunted yotes with a group out near Erie that ran them with dogs. We were very sucessfull but also very tired after a long night. I'm not in shape for that now. I picked up a WWII surplus air raid siren that is hand cranked. I have it mounted on a receiver hitch and go to a mountain top at night and give it a 5 to 10 second wail to see what ridge the yotes are running on. If you ask the local farmers who have livestock permission to hunt in a respectable manner you will not be denied. It makes for a great foot in the door for deer hunting privileges My most successful method is to find a fresh gut pile from a deer kill and setup downwind from it. In February there's a coyote hunt contest with prizes for the most first and largest yote.

I can't count the ones I've seen from the stand but certainly less than 25.  I missed one by inches with the bow early in October, first and only one I have shot at with the bow.

A number of years ago I had a pretty good morning In Lima NY while deer hunting.  I shot a nice doe, gutted her and dragged her up to my side of the gully and climbed back up into the stand waiting on a buck.  No buck showed but two 'yotes did in the next half hour........all with the T/C muzzleloader.

coyote.jpg

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 11

The song dogs I have seen have always been in the morning. In about 15 years of hunting I have seen 6.  The area we hunt in 7M has pretty decent hunting pressure, so they seem to hunker down and wait for night time.  Best coyote story - If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it.  We hung a deer in the storage shed about 30 yds. from the hunting camp.  It was well off the ground.  The coyotes climbed on top of the atv next to the hanging deer, muddy footprints all over the wheeler, and ate out the tenderloins and chewed up the shoulders.  They had also come onto the porch of the camp and moved bloody deer gloves that had wrapped up a heart about 20 yds away and chewed them to shreds.  My buddy who shot the deer was obviously pissed, just took out the backstraps and rear roasts and tossed the rest of the deer.  Smart animals...

I never really see them during deer season-- I know they are there, the property is loaded with their tracks and we hear them sing at night. The only time I seem to see coyotes is turkey hunting. They come in to the turkey calls, I imagine looking for some poultry dinner... It's made some of the smarter local turkey flocks very call-shy.

Nice stories guys. Today I walked over to the coyote I shot the other day to see if

anything has been checking it out. I found two sets of coyote tracks nearby and 3 sets of bear tracks. The bears sniffed the dead coyote but didn't eat it.

Shoot them and skin them. Coyotes are paying a decent price.

• Like 2

Usually see them just after sun-up.  Seen 2 so far this year, but noticed lots of tracks in the snow the past few days.

Once late muzzleloader season is over, it's game on....  In the past I've had good luck with distress calls either just after sunup, or right before dusk.  This year.  I'll be trying some night hunts. 

Actually yesterday I saw one nose down on a trot running the edge of a field about 90 yards ahead of me at 6 45 am, nice color on the thing too. If I had a shot on it, I would have taken it right away. I hate coyotes, they have destroyed the small game in my area. Shot one last year as well. Our group has shot 4 in the past 3 years, all during deer season and all in the morning.

I hate coyotes, they have destroyed the small game in my area. 

Quite a common misconception.

Coyotes are a keystone species.

Killing them off is impossible because they will rear more pups to replace the ones killed.

There are a host of critters in NY that can also help in the decimation of your small game . Opossum, skunks, bears, fox, weasels, mink, fisher, bobcats, martens, raccoons, and dozens of species of raptors.

As a hunter/trapper, I personally rather enjoy coyotes. They're way more challenging to hunt than deer.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Coyotes have filled a niche.  With a predator on the landscape again, all the game is hunted.   The 100+ year period of no predators and abandoned pasture slowly reverting to forest is over.  That period had an unsustainable density of game populations, which in some cases, have shifted to the suburbs and villages.

Many hunters fondly recall their best year(s) afield and set this benchmark as normal.  The only thing normal in nature is fluctuations.  As hunters we should be most concerned on habitat/ecosystems as killing predators will not increase game populations.  Theodore Roosevelt and Aldo Leopold have written extensively on this subject.

• Like 2

I had one walk right underneath my stand on opening day 10 minutes after I climbed in the tree. didn't wanna shoot it on the best day to hunt deer so I let it go.

when the people fear the government there is tyranny. when the government fears the people there is liberty. Thomas Jefferson

Quite a common misconception.

Coyotes are a keystone species.

Killing them off is impossible because they will rear more pups to replace the ones killed.

There are a host of critters in NY that can also help in the decimation of your small game . Opossum, skunks, bears, fox, weasels, mink, fisher, bobcats, martens, raccoons, and dozens of species of raptors.

As a hunter/trapper, I personally rather enjoy coyotes. They're way more challenging to hunt than deer.

Don't buy it.

But limiting the fox in your area is definitely a good idea as well.

Don't buy it.

But limiting the fox in your area is definitely a good idea as well.

what about it dont you buy(understand)? the only part of that post which was of personal opinion was about coyotes being more of a challenge than deer. the rest are proven facts

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

I was shooting woodchucks for a couple of farmers in Groveland . One of the farmer's wives told me under not to shoot any coyotes if I saw any . She said they help control the chucks and also the barn cats that they had too many of and wanted to reduce their number .

I have only ever seen 3 while hunting .

I have seen a about 7 or 8 while hunting and confirmed killed three of them. I try to take them out whenever I can hoping to get a larger small game population. I have seen pretty much all but one during the morning hunts. The ones that I didn't shoot ran by me hauling A**.....not gonna lie I threw some lead in there direction with some prayer shots. I have seen a few fox too. In everyones opinion is it worth shooting those things too or is targeting these animals futile to bringing back the small game population? 

I have seen a about 7 or 8 while hunting and confirmed killed three of them. I try to take them out whenever I can hoping to get a larger small game population. I have seen pretty much all but one during the morning hunts. The ones that I didn't shoot ran by me hauling A**.....not gonna lie I threw some lead in there direction with some prayer shots. I have seen a few fox too. In everyones opinion is it worth shooting those things too or is targeting these animals futile to bringing back the small game population?

Coyote IS small game as well.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems