How far from a house do you have to be from a house in Connecticut to the hunt with a bow or crossbow

phantom

Friend of mine just bought a house in  Connecticut says it's infested with deer wants to know if you can hunt there with a bow  wants to know how far he has to stay from houses i looked could not find anything on  Distance limits for archery  anyone know ? 

@BizCT
@Marion
Have entered the chat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, BizCT said:

No setback for archery (includes xbow). CT does not have the 150 foot rule like NY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What's the process if you're out of state and want to hunt  Connecticut  Can you just show them  your New York State hunting license and then buy theirs  Or do you have to take their safety course.

What's the process if you're out of state and want to hunt  Connecticut  Can you just show them  your New York State hunting license and then buy theirs  Or do you have to take their safety course.

Reciprocity if I recall. I purchased a CT license years ago and while I don't recall if I needed to show my NY safety course card or just my license, I know I didn't take a CT class

• Like 1

A NY hunters safety course is fine, just call DEEP and email it to them so they can grant you rights to purchase online OR give me the address and I’ll go hunt it!

9 hours ago, BizCT said:

A NY hunters safety course is fine, just call DEEP and email it to them so they can grant you rights to purchase online OR give me the address and I’ll go hunt it!

I took the ny safty course over 35 years ago not sure where it is now maybe it turned to dust at this point . The place is near  Danbury  he says  there like all over his lawn looking in the windows of his house to lol  He didn't see anything with a big rack though , yet anyway he  just moved there few days ago. 

Yeah the way he describes it,  I'd be hunting  from like his lawn or something I don't know about that  I like hunting in the scary woods the best .

Ever see that show called "Chasing Tail"...these guys were hunting off people's decks and shooting over pools

30 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Ever see that show called "Chasing Tail"...these guys were hunting off people's decks and shooting over pools

I remember that show.  Didn't a deer "supposedly" drop in the neighbors pool?  

29 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Oh wow, forgot about that show  I have seen that show and I'm pretty sure that was filmed in that same area , I don't know if I want to hunt in a place like that that's kind of weird .  Then what happens when the deer dies  in the  neighbor's yard you know it's like a headachead , To go knock on doors and ask to retrieve it.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

I took the ny safty course over 35 years ago not sure where it is now maybe it turned to dust at this point . The place is near  Danbury  he says  there like all over his lawn looking in the windows of his house to lol  He didn't see anything with a big rack though , yet anyway he  just moved there few days ago. 

I keep mine in a safe. It's from 1996 and looks brand new. But anyway, try calling CT DEEP. If they don't let you, I'll go for you. Tons of bear in western CT near danbury, but no bear season. 

4 hours ago, phantom said:

Yeah the way he describes it,  I'd be hunting  from like his lawn or something I don't know about that  I like hunting in the scary woods the best .

I did a population suburban control hunt once down south. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't call it hunting. It's good clean meat and a needed service, but it was kind of odd and again not what I really considered to be hunting. I would akin it to shooting a squirrel off your backyard bird feeder vs hiking into the woods and shooting one out a pine. Same squirrel meat, but different experience. 

iirc there was a show on tv 5 or so years ago that covered some guys that did just this and I think it was CT too. 

Edited by Belo

1 hour ago, Belo said:

I did a population suburban control hunt once down south. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't call it hunting. It's good clean meat and a needed service, but it was kind of odd and again not what I really considered to be hunting. I would akin it to shooting a squirrel off your backyard bird feeder vs hiking into the woods and shooting one out a pine. Same squirrel meat, but different experience. 

iirc there was a show on tv 5 or so years ago that covered some guys that did just this and I think it was CT too. 

Yeah exactly and I don't like doing that either .  If the  animals are not aware that you're a danger it's not really hunting in my book.  More like farming meat. 

3 hours ago, BizCT said:

I keep mine in a safe. It's from 1996 and looks brand new. But anyway, try calling CT DEEP. If they don't let you, I'll go for you. Tons of bear in western CT near danbury, but no bear season. 

I'm sure I still have it somewhere .  So far he hasn't seen anything big all little ones he said. 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Yeah I will do that if I decide to hunt his  property   I gotta go up there and check it out 1st.

If there's like people everywhere and stuff I'm not gonna bother I don't want to deal with that 

You can take your NYS hunting course online now.  Easy way to get your safety card.