3 yr old 8 point grandad-made mount

Meat Manager

My grandfather turned this around for me in a week, he does all of our mounts except the few shoulders.

This was my public land archery buck from this November 3.

I chose a piece of walnut for the plaque because I have a bunch of those trees around my house:

post-1622-13855494603881_thumb.jpgpost-1622-13855494702231_thumb.jpgpost-1622-1385549481236_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager
  • Like 3

What does "3 year old" have to do with it?

I set my buck standards by age category, not rack size (not that I don't hunt for monsters, I do).

I know some folks mount the lower jaw bones too to display age.

Edited by Meat Manager

I set my buck standards by age category, not rack size (not that I don't hunt for monsters, I do).

I know some folks mount the lower jaw bones too to display age.

Oh.  So that is a 3.5 year old buck?  And you knew that when you killed it?

Nice mount via gramps!

Oh. So that is a 3.5 year old buck? And you knew that when you killed it?

Nice mount via gramps!

I studied a qdm book called "aging deer on the hoof."

It tells you how to make judgements on bucks and does based on relative body features for time of season without the need of other deer for comparison.

But it's just an educated guess, then you check the lower jaw for the presence of a molar and wear. Even that is not 100% exact science.

Oh.  So that is a 3.5 year old buck?  And you knew that when you killed it?

Nice mount via gramps!

Someones always gotta challenge you on these forums! God forbid you ever state the age or size of a deer you shot because people will always find something to bust your stones about.  Never fails!

Nice mount! Looks 4 1/2 judging by the size of the skull cap... don't sell yourslef short! :)

• Like 2

Someones always gotta challenge you on these forums! God forbid you ever state the age or size of a deer you shot because people will always find something to bust your stones about.  Never fails!

Nice mount! Looks 4 1/2 judging by the size of the skull cap... don't sell yourslef short! :)

Kind of like the guys that tell you they shot a 200lb buck, because their BIL said it HAD to be.

Why should that bother you?  Nothing wrong with being accurate, is there?

If you take this stuff fairly serious, you'll take notice of weight and age of these animals and NOT guess. 

Jaw boards, accurate scales and resources take the guess work out of things as the OP stated he has done with his QDM book.  I'd just like to know if the jaw told the 3.5yo tale or not.

Happy Thanksgiving to you also! :D

• Like 1

Kind of like the guys that tell you they shot a 200lb buck, because their BIL said it HAD to be.

Why should that bother you?  Nothing wrong with being accurate, is there?

If you take this stuff fairly serious, you'll take notice of weight and age of these animals and NOT guess. 

Jaw boards, accurate scales and resources take the guess work out of things as the OP stated he has done with his QDM book.  I'd just like to know if the jaw told the 3.5yo tale or not.

Happy Thanksgiving to you also! :D

From the start you were being passive aggressive with your questions.  You were implying he couldn't make a proper estimate of age based on rack size (before he could even explain himself).  Don't play it off like it was anything else. Happy Thanksgiving to you to!

Secondly all the guys that always have something to say about Bad Shots, Weather conditions, aging of deer, Shooters vs. non shooter and everything else they like to call people out about on this forum NEVER HAVE ANY PICS OF BUCK KILLS?? Why is this? If I am going to take people serious on how much of an elite hunter they are I need some pics of the monsters they have killed!

Sorry I didn't mean to side track this topic!

• Like 2

From the start you were being passive aggressive with your questions.  You were implying he couldn't make a proper estimate of age based on rack size (before he could even explain himself).  Don't play it off like it was anything else. Happy Thanksgiving to you to!

Secondly all the guys that always have something to say about Bad Shots, Weather conditions, aging of deer, Shooters vs. non shooter and everything else they like to call people out about on this forum NEVER HAVE ANY PICS OF BUCK KILLS?? Why is this? If I am going to take people serious on how much of an elite hunter they are I need some pics of the monsters they have killed!

Sorry I didn't mean to side track this topic!

Crabby? Think you were the other day also, hope it gets better for you :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin::bye: