How to save bird to be mounted

GrouseHunter

I will be doing some bird hunting out of state and it is possible I may get a bird I want mounted. In the past I have brought them to a local guy in the state I was in and while the work was good I had a lot of trouble getting the finished product after the bird and deposit were give over. I had one that took over two years because the guy was to lazy to send it.

Anyway if I was to get one and want to bring it home to someone local how should I preserve it. I may have to hold it for as much as 10 or 12 days.

I agree call the taxidermist, but this is what I "used" to do.

Inspect the bird that you want done, try to pick a bird that does not have a broken bill, broken feet, or lost too many feathers.

Put cotton in mouth and in anus, to stop body discharge.. blood, feces.

Look for blood on feathers and clean with cold water, working with the direction of the feather.(it can be hard to get off if blood is left on too long)

look for holes with blood, and GENTLY put a little cotton in it, if necessary..

PROTECT those feathers from breaking .. Dead birds don't grow new feathers.. sorry , I had to add that because I used to say that alot.

Bring panty hose  (If they still sell that stuff)... Slide bird head first into panty hose making sure that you do not bend, or break feathers....You can actually do that in the field to keep feathers from breaking. Watch the neck when you slide it in. With pheasants keep the tails straight..

If no panty hose...Use brown wrapping paper, or cut brown paper  food shopping bag. Wrap bird , feathers down in that.

(do not use newspaper especially if there is white on the bird because the ink may run from the paper to the bird. You can put the bird in a plastic bag to freeze it after you wrap it in panty hose, or paper...

After bird is wrapped for taxidermist FREEZE it.

This is what I used to do, but it's been a long time and may have left something out, or maybe other guys can add to it..I'm writing it from memory, which isn't as good as I'd like these days..

Hope it helps

• Like 1

As a taxidermist I can say greybeard was spot on with his information. I will only add a couple of things. One if the tail feathers do not fit inside the bag or the pantyhose do not try to make them, let them hang on the outside a lot less damage will occur.  Second thing is whatever bird you are choosing get to it as quickly as possible. Nothing worse than shooting a trophy bird and then letting it flop all over the place and damaging feathers.  Thirdly a lot of people say oh just put it in a brown paperbag/cardboard.  Not a real good idea these are paper products and they tend to wick the moisture away from the animal. They can become freezer burnt within a matter of days/weeks.   Good Luck hunting.

• 3 months later...

get some stockings and cut the end off, pull the bird head first through the stocking and freeze........the stocking will keep the feathers nice and flat against the bird and prevent them from getting bent or ruffled.......

Ditto that!! Back in 2003, me and 3 buddies went to Texas for a Rio Hunt. We all got some nice birds. One friend knew a taxidermist who told him to buy some women's panty hose, cut those from the crotch up hence having 2 pieces. Like mentioned in the above post, start by pulling those panty hose over the head towards the tail. That tight fit will keep all the feathers in place and then place it into a freezer. depending on how long your flight or drive is, that bird will be frozen solid and will keep till you take it in to your taxidermist!!!

• 4 months later...