Deer contests?

TeeBugg

Does anybody else put on or participate in friendly contests? My dad does it every year and it costs 20$ to get in. Money is mostly for the party in january and goes towards cost of munchies and beer. Normally have about 10-15 guys. We have biggest buck and doe for archery and gun. Just wondering it anyone else did anything like this? Just got a phone call my 120# doe just got jumped by a 128# doe! Im still on the podium though! I won archery buck thankfully!

Edited by TeeBugg

Does anybody else put on or participate in friendly contests? My dad does it every year and it costs 20$ to get in. Money is mostly for the party in january and goes towards cost of munchies and beer. Normally have about 10-15 guys. We have biggest buck and doe for archery and gun. Just wondering it anyone else did anything like this? Just got a phone call my 120# doe just got jumped by a 128# doe! Im still on the podium though! I won archery buck thankfully!

My friendyou are crazy this great site holds it's own contest and all you need is to post pic's and have a great story as to how it was taken no $$$$$#$ needed

Anything that turns hunting into a contest detracts from the sport.

A friendly contest between hunters detracts from the sport? Your kidding right? If anything we have gained people that want to hunt. Its not all about horns and big deer. Some guys dont get any but they still keep hunting and still participate. And to be fair...if you win one of the categories you might go home with a keystonebeer antler plaque lol

Edited by TeeBugg

I don't see a problem with it. The lodge we hunt out of does one too. I think it was 5 dollars per man this year. And it is for heaviest buck. At our first dinner we each throw 5 on the table and then the contest is literally forgotten about until someone wins. Doesn't detract. But for us it doesn't add anything either.

I'm in one every year on another site...teams of 2.... I usually get teamed up with a mid westerner......no money or prizes ...just good fun...getting to learn a little bit about hunting in other parts of the country...though this year my assigned partner seems to be a wall .....

I'm in what is called a "Lucky Buck"  contest.  All you need to do is shoot a buck and you are in a drawing to win.  The $10 fee goes to prizes and a party.  Antler points have no bearing on the outcome.

If you enter a contest where the biggest buck wins, then all you are doing is promoting poaching and spot lighting.

I'm in what is called a "Lucky Buck"  contest.  All you need to do is shoot a buck and you are in a drawing to win.  The $10 fee goes to prizes and a party.  Antler points have no bearing on the outcome.

If you enter a contest where the biggest buck wins, then all you are doing is promoting poaching and spot lighting.

What keeps people from poaching and spot lighting to get into the "lucky buck" contest?  Doesn't sound any different to me.

• Like 1

What keeps people from poaching and spot lighting to get into the "lucky buck" contest?  

Absolutely nothing.  But it encourages people to shoot what they want and enter it and not spend their evenings spot lighting the local fields for "Mr. Big" just for the sake of money.

Unfortunately money or large prizes can bring out the worst in people.

Edited by RangerClay

I see no problem with them, as long as it is with people you can trust. Some morons would do anything, including jacklighting, just to have bragging rights. These people are usually the most transparent and you can read them like a book and figure out it what jacked. Just my personal experience with the local yokels.

We do an auction type contest. Guy stands up, tells everyone what scouting they have done, where they are headed, what the gun they have, etc. Then everyone bids on the person. They pot is split between the hunter who gets the largest buck on opening day and the person that bought them. There are some bonus payouts for bears and coyotes too.

In the end its a good time had by all.

At headquarters they have a contest where the non hunters pull names of hunters out of a hat. Whoevers hunter gets the biggest buck the non hunter wins ,kinda like a fantasy football league. There are hard core hunt all the time always kill big buck guys, newbies ,I saw a deer once hunters . Luck of the draw,but there is always some new guy who stumbles on a monster.

It's pretty funny they write up a bit about each hunter, " odds on favorite unless he gets a girlfriend " ,stuff like that.

we have one every year... every year (now the Saturday before opening day of regular season) we have a hunting party with family and friends.  gather to hangout and talk about deer stories and enjoy company.  it's a "big buck" pool.  the list is written on a paper plate and it's 5 bucks.  nobody wins year after year.  more of a tradition to sweeten someones luck more than anything.  I don't know of a single year someone got bent out of shape over it.

• Like 1

When the opener was on a Monday, we used to have a big crew at camp all day Sunday, (a greatly missed tradition). We would all put in $20.00 for what we called a "buck pool", with the money going to biggest rack at the end of opening day.

Only problem was, guys would shoot any buck just in case no one else shot one, to collect the cash. Most years it was well over $200.00